BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Anyone attend the X3 difference event at their local BMW dealer?

I had an invitation for the new X3 difference event a while back so I signed up and went last Wednesday. A crew from BMW NA brought two X3’s and an Audi Q5. They drove the Q5 on three rollers and one wheel was still on the ground so it simulated a slippery surface. It took about 15 seconds for the Q5 to break free and move. They did the same with the X3 and it drove straight off the rollers. On the X3 there is no limit to the amount of power to an axel where on the other SUV’s they have limits of power to each axel. Then they let us drive the Q5 and X3. I took the X3 with the N55 in it. Without going into detail it was a nice ride and superb handling for a SUV. The Q5 had the smaller engine but I could tell big difference in the transmissions between the two cars. The Q5 would automatically shift even in sport/manual mode where the BMW seemed more like an SMG.

I took the X3 by the wife’s work to show her and a few of her employees said I don’t fit the SUV profile.

Anyone else have this X3 event at their local dealer? I wish they would do it for the M cars, that would be a blast.
      03-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Run-flats != SUV

Nice car, but unfortunately, they are being configured with run-flats and no spare.

No spare on an SUV? What is BMW thinking?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

We went to our X3 difference event on the 17th. The BMW crew had both the xDrive35i and 28i plus the Lexus RX350. We drove both the 35i and 28i. The power in the 28i just doesn't cut it for a 4,000 lb car. You really need to lay your foot on the pedal to build momentum and get the car moving. It felt like an eternity to get away from a stoplight while everyone else seemed to be passing by you. We felt hurried to get rolling. We were disappointed as we thought the 28i could be a good candidate to replace my wife's X5.

The 35i was a different story. The weight of the car tames somewhat the power of the turbo to the point where the car can be driven very smoothly and confidently. The 8 speed transmissions in both cars are super smooth.

Our event had lots of food and a presentation by one of the crew before the test drives. All in all an enjoyable and certainly revealing event.
      03-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink

Yuppers...we had ours here two weeks ago in St.Louis area, and as my wife and sister both have identical X3's [ordered identical, made and shipped together] we went and had the time of our lives. They brought in the Cadillac, the Lexus, Merc and Audi to compare. Did not do the rollers...wish Ihad but the Merc would not move..just spun like the dickens on it. X3 went right away.

The 28 was fine for us even with weight, but then she is used to the current X3 with its 6...and its a 28. The 35 was fine as well, and they are thinking of trading together again. Its about every 2.5 years for us, and its a retirement promise Imade to myself for her. BUT against the Caddy and Lexus, there was simply no comparison. The Caddy took forever to make up its mind that you wished to go...or steer around the corners, typical GM...it has mind of its own and wants to know if you reaaaaaallllly want to do this next move. The Lexus was a BIT quicker with better steering feedback but you slid all over the place around corners...ie. in the seat. Found myself as they did, having to use your other foot or leg to brace yourself to keep ergonomics satisfied as one sits behind the wheel. NO fine seats to contain you.

All in all a great event, staff, and the goodies were there as well. They are now working on color and options and will order this late summer I suspect. Its great to watch them do this after sooo many years of lesser cars, hand-me downs and working hard hours and years for these days...
Appreciate 0