BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2023, 05:27 AM   #1
bhr_beemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

Post N55 Turbo Rebuild [Advice?]

Dear all,

Apologies in advance if this is the right place for this topic.

I have an E82 135i with N55 Engine

I started seeing signs of oil leak where the charge pipe connects to the intercooler from both sides.

I am assuming a turbo rebuild should be sufficient as the car runs and drives normally.

I noticed that there's so many rebuild kits online which of them would you recommend?

Also if i need to replace the cartridge which of them would you recommend?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:01 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Do those kits say anything about balancing it afterwards? If be worried it may end up out of balance. If it were me, I'd just replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
bhr_beemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Do those kits say anything about balancing it afterwards? If be worried it may end up out of balance. If it were me, I'd just replace it.
Hey, thank you for replying. I never thought of that actually. I saw some people put a mark on the nut before removing it so that they put it back in it's place but I am not sure if it's worth it to go through all of that. replacing the cartridge seems to be the smart thing to do.

One question though. which one should I go for? any recommendation?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:20 PM   #4
damianang_88
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i & N55 135i stage 2

Garage List
  [0.00]
Hi! Do you live in southern california? If not what state?

I live in socal and purchase a 2nd hand ps2 for $300 with the intention to rebuild because it had slight play from left to right. Drive down to oceanside where Pure turbos is located. I talked to them on the phone a couple days prior where they told me rebuild is ~500 with parts and labor. I went down there and they were really nice, told me it looked new and that little shaft play was normal as they showed me other turbos to further prove their point.
Appreciate 0