BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Would you buy a more expensive 1M CSL?
No 30 53.57%
Yes, I'd pay 10 to 20k more (US dollars) 24 42.86%
Yes, 20k to 30k more (US dollars) 0 0%
Yes, 30k + more (US dollars) 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

10-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

You'd pay the premium for a 1M CSL?

Well, would you? And how much would you pay? There's definitely a lot of chatter on the forums that point to wanting a hardcore 1M, which this, and the 2014 isn't going to be (2014 probably less hardcore than this nutty and wicked cut and shut garage project I'd bet). The M market isn't hardcore, but M do know how to make hardcore versions for that niche.. like the CSL, the GTS.

I'd love to see it built, but I know I'm not in a position to buy one - I need a comfortable and functional car right now.
      10-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Not sure how to answer the poll as the answer to how much over the 43-50k base price of the 1M I would be willing to pay for a CSL version is entirely related to what they do to it.

For 73-80k the car would have to be quite extreme. If the car was somehow 2900 lbs and had an S65 and the suspension and brakes from the GTS would i pay that? Hell yeah I'd purchase that car. Would I take any less extreme for that amount of money? I doubt it.

So for the other options the car would have to be somewhere between so the answer would be yes so long as the improvements are worth the price increase.

However I don't think this is going to happen especially for the US market, and if it does you have to look at the GTS for comparison as to what BMW would likely do.

The GTS is WAY overpriced for what it is, so I can only assume a similar version of the 1 series would follow suit and not be worth it compared to Porsche offerings.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I am a fan of going quickly and being comfortable while doing it. Now that im out of warranty I plan on doing many things to my car, intelligent and financially intelligent, or otherwise. I feel that I can pull 200-300 lbs out of the car, and 100lbs out of me but still keep the car drive able on the street

I understand the hardcore versions of cars as dedicated track toys, but how many of us actually use our cars exclusively as track toys? I can think of 1 person other than the race teams.

Track toys should be small 2 seaters...like S2ks or Zed MCs or Cayman/Boxster Spyders and 370Zs, etc...

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
If the 1M is really going to have a fixed rear seat, I see no advantage over a Cayman S except price. If BMW makes a premium 1M priced closer to the Cayman S, I see no reason for anyone to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If the 1M is really going to have a fixed rear seat, I see no advantage over a Cayman S except price. If BMW makes a premium 1M priced closer to the Cayman S, I see no reason for anyone to buy it.
How bout an actual rear seat, so I can take my 4 and 2 y/o for Sunday rides to the beach? There are lots of nice two seaters out there, but it make things really difficult for us family guys, especially now that airbags make it unsafe of kids to sit in the front seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I disagree.

It still HAS a back seat, and actually one that a couple youngsters would be fine in, and even standard issue adults would have no problem being in for local trips.

Although, I'll admit I'd rather have a 7 year old Hyundai or Toyota sedan, and a Cayman S, than pretty much any BMW offering, ASSUMING I would spend that much on a car. As of now, I won't buy a $75k commuter, and the combo of my wife's opinion + my own sense of value prevents me from buying one and driving it 2k miles/year on the rare kidless weekend.

So, car with a back seat, it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I would pay another 10K if it was under 2900lbs, better suspension, and they turned the tq way up with extra oil coolers.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I think the real issue is a 1M CSL can't be allowed because it would blow the doors off the obese E92 M3.

Any way you look at it they can't risk hurting the fragile ego of the M3 customer or harming their hierarchical business model.

For BMW to sell any car that is faster in all aspects than the M3 it would have to be a Z8 or mid engine M1 type car (Efficient Dynamics Concept)

Thus the 1M we are getting is what BMW realistically decided was most potent lightweight sports sedan they could offer without stepping on the fragile toes of the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
I think the real issue is a 1M CSL can't be allowed because it would blow the doors off the obese E92 M3.

Any way you look at it they can't risk hurting the fragile ego of the M3 customer or harming their hierarchical business model.

For BMW to sell any car that is faster in all aspects than the M3 it would have to be a Z8 or mid engine M1 type car (Efficient Dynamics Concept)

Thus the 1M we are getting is what BMW realistically decided was most potent lightweight sports sedan they could offer without stepping on the fragile toes of the M3.
Wasn't the '07 M Coupe the fastest M for a while?

Doesn't that crap all over your theory?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post

That was in between M3s so it doesnt count.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post

Sure it was marginally faster, I owned one for a year and a half.

Like I said, BMW is willing to step outside the hierarchy with 2 seaters.

BMW charges more for 2 seaters than sedans with similar powertrains.

The Z4M was more expensive than the E46 M3.

I did not mention the Z4M specifically because we are discussing CSL levels of performance in this thread, meaning large improvement in performance for the same platform.

Keep in mind it's S54 was rated at 330hp and not the usual 333hp from the E46 M3 for a reason, to protect the M3. This was done despite several sources stating that the more modern ECU technology used on the Z4M's S54 actual put down more power than the older E46 ECU tech.

Here is a link to Steve Dinan mentioning this:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...50#post4527350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
He also mentioned that the new DME was more efficient than the one in the E46 M3, so it actually makes a little more power.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
The 2002 Turbo was faster than the 3.0 CSL, at least in the 1/4 mile and 0-60, and BMW bragged about it, because it was fun. They weren't always so paranoid.
Appreciate 0