BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Coilover advice?

I wish to lower my 130i M Sport hatch in preparation to getting some new wheels and would like to hear your advice on coilovers.

I have considered changing to Eibach springs but have heard from a few that the drop was not as much as expected and one person saying it's higher than the stock M sport after installation which included sway bars and new bushes!

I really don't have any experience with coilovers and suspension adjustments (apart from gran turismo ) and just wondered what there is out there that might be suitable.

Ideally I'm looking for a setup that is still comfortable but offers better handling but I'm just confused about what the differences are between all the ones out there?

I guess the ability to adjust settings from soft to firm would be nice but not sure if this is rebound or compression......

Please can someone explains in laymans terms what these are for??

There's about 4-5 different KW ones which just confuses me which one is best. Then there are ones from other vendors such as Eibach, H&R etc..

I suspect the street comfort one might be my answer but does it make the car handle, can it be adjusted to be stiffer if required?

Are some of these coilovers very stiff even at softest setting or are they like stock?

Can these coilovers be adjusted so that there is an option to be as high as standard but can also drop 40mm or do they already start very low at the highest setting?

Advice is most welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I think your best option are the KW V2s which offer height and rebound adjustment. IMO, the V3s are overkill for a street setup unless you are serious about the track and have knowledge about setting up both the compression and rebound settings on the coilover. I run the V2s on my 135 and find them to be a perfect compromise between performance and comfort. They are ideal if you want the car to handle better, ride smoothly and have a wide range of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'd recommend The bilstein PSS9 or PSS10 kit depending what is available for your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Can someone tell me how soft these can be adjusted to with the rebound?

Can it be close to stock or is it still very firm?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I think your best option are the KW V2s which offer height and rebound adjustment. IMO, the V3s are overkill for a street setup unless you are serious about the track and have knowledge about setting up both the compression and rebound settings on the coilover. I run the V2s on my 135 and find them to be a perfect compromise between performance and comfort. They are ideal if you want the car to handle better, ride smoothly and have a wide range of adjustment.
Nick,

Do you know what adjustments are available once the coilovers are installed on the e82? The website just said that external adjustments are available depending on the vehicle.

I have jacks and jack stands at home where I would be able to jack up my car and HOPEFULLY make all of the adjustments I need. I just dont want to have to bring my car into a shop every time I want to make some adjustments to the coilovers until I find good settings for it.

Thanks for your help.