BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Service due in 800 miles, but what service??

I'm getting the service due notification, but I'm not sure what service is due. It's not oil, brake fluid, brakes, inspection, or any of the other "countdown" items that are shown in the BC. So, what is it? I'm perfectly capable of performing services on my car myself, so I'd like to avoid a costly dealer visit if possible. Is there any way to get the service info off the key without taking it to the dealer? How do people deal with this after the free maintenance has expired?
      06-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

How many miles? What year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
I'm getting the service due notification, but I'm not sure what service is due. It's not oil, brake fluid, brakes, inspection, or any of the other "countdown" items that are shown in the BC. So, what is it?
What is the warning - an icon or text?

If it is an icon of the car with 2 wavy "S" shapes at the front or rear, then it refers to a state or local safety or emissions inspection. But if you are simply getting the triangle with an exclamation point icon or the text warning "Service Due", then your dealer will probably have to sort it out.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
How many miles? What year is your car?
About to hit 59,000 miles and the car is a 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
What is the warning - an icon or text?

If it is an icon of the car with 2 wavy "S" shapes at the front or rear, then it refers to a state or local safety or emissions inspection. But if you are simply getting the triangle with an exclamation point icon or the text warning "Service Due", then your dealer will probably have to sort it out.

Tom
Inspection/emissions isn't due till November and the BC correctly reflects that. None of the service items (i.e., brakes, brake fluid, oil, etc.) are due so I'm not sure why the car is saying a service is due. It seems to maybe just be an inspection of sorts because it just shows the car on lift in yellow.

I guess my real question is, how do people service their cars without involving a dealer when the car tells you service is due but not what is due??
      06-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

State inspection? That is an item it monitors...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I guess my real question is, how do people service their cars without involving a dealer when the car tells you service is due but not what is due??

This is how...

DIY resetting service "due" lights…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...vice+due+light

Oil & filter changes every year or 15K miles. (at the minimum!)...
Pollen filter every year check/replace
Replace wiper blades every year.
Brake fluid flush - every two years (every year in Germany/EU)

I would also check your air filter for dirt/debris.
You might want to change your spark plugs... but that's optional.
I would also change your diff and trans fluids every 30K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

So what you're saying is, as long as the normal maintenance items are attended to as indicated by the BC or a standard maintenance schedule, that this particular type of service message should just be reset...basically, ignored?
      06-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
So what you're saying is, as long as the normal maintenance items are attended to as indicated by the BC or a standard maintenance schedule, that this particular type of service message should just be reset...basically, ignored?
Yup. As long as you are having someone take car of the basic services like oil changes - just reset it.

Some dealers when they do the PDI setup the BC to trigger these extra services - like a years or bi yearly start safety inspection. Most people do not get that BC maintenance symbol.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Since your car is approaching 60,000 miles, I bet the "Service Due" is the Inspection II. Not sure what is included in that for the E82, or how much it costs. I'm sure they change the oil, air filters, etc. and probably inspect the brakes, suspension components, etc. Wonder if they change any other fluids (tranny, diff, coolant)? You could maybe get a list of what's included from your local service department.
      06-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Oil/filter were changed about 4,500 miles ago, along with the engine air filter. "Standard Scope" was performed at the same time, whatever that is. That was the last maintenance on the car. The BC is showing the front brakes are due in 8,000 miles, and the brake fluid is due in August. Inspection/emissions aren't until November. Other than giving the car a once-over, as is standard practice any time I do maintenance on a car, is there anything else that might be due now to warrant the BC telling me to service the car soon??
      06-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Oil/filter were changed about 4,500 miles ago, along with the engine air filter. "Standard Scope" was performed at the same time, whatever that is. That was the last maintenance on the car. The BC is showing the front brakes are due in 8,000 miles, and the brake fluid is due in August. Inspection/emissions aren't until November. Other than giving the car a once-over, as is standard practice any time I do maintenance on a car, is there anything else that might be due now to warrant the BC telling me to service the car soon??
The Inspection I and II are more comprehensive than the Standard Scope, I believe, but without knowing exactly what's included it's tough to say if it needs to be done or not. I suspect they just do a visual check of various suspension components, maybe check the tension of the hand brake, stuff like that. Maybe they even check torque values for certain bolts?

But it seems weird that they just changed the air filter with this service coming up - are you sure that they didn't do it already and just not reset the light? My dealer proactively performed a brake fluid flush a couple of thousand miles early, so you never know. Personally I would probably call the dealer and ask what service was required, and specifically what it entailed. But I'm sort of Type A that way. Probably for a competent DIY'er who stays on top of maintenance it's okay to ignore this particular service.
      06-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

I wasn't sure if "standard scope" was BMW code for some type of regular maintenance items other than oil and the various filters. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and find out what was done. Speaking of the dealer, I made the mistake of deciding that I was going to pay the dealer to deal with the last service visit, the first outside the included free maintenance. Wow, went to pick up the car and what I figured would cost around $125 ended up being over $300!! The dealer never called to get the OK to perform the costly work and so they took off labor and only charged me for parts, which amounted to a whopping $66. Insane!!! Thanks for the input, everyone!
      06-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

You are due for the "Inspection" service which replaces the old E46 Inspections I & II. BMW recommends it every 30,000 miles and it includes various visual, mechanical and electrical checks as well as a road test - but unlike the older inspections, is independent of the CBS oil changes. It should cost about 1 1/2 to 2 hours labor.

Tom
Appreciate 0