BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
NorthwestN54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What kind of #s? TBE/FMIC/Tune/Meth?

What kind of #s should I see if I do the following?

Catback - Rogue Engineering or CP-E....having a hard time choosing (sound mostly, saves weight)

Downpipe - Racelands catless 2.5" most likely

Intake - Not too sure...realize it's mostly for sound, but probably the BMS DCI

FMIC - HPF most likely

Meth - This is something I need to find out more about. I heard BMS is coming out with a windshield-washer reservoir one, but as far as pump, nozzles, etc....I need to learn more.

Tuner - Cobb AP with a custom tune from Cobb in Portland, OR (only a couple hours away)

I'm going to get a stock baseline dyno done very soon just so I knew where I started at....I want to autocross and drag...I realize this will put me in the modified class, so the people I'd run with would be open to pretty much anything anyway, but whatever! On the crazy chance I eventually get decent, people would notice anyway.

I know my 20k mile RFTs are going to weep...but suspension and handling mods are something else I want to do (18" Advan RZs...not sure on tire widths, M3 sways, and undecided springs.....lsd eventually!).

It's not fun on the wallet, but I want to do my modifying in major stages (power, handling), because I'd rather not get 3-4 pro-tunes, and I heard that the whole RFT/stock suspension setup means you probably want to change tires if you do suspension, vice-versa. Also want to not have to upgrade the same component multiple times. (2.5" dp could be a problem? Anyway, I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system or turbos for a very long time....maybe eventually!)

Anyway, any advice would be awesome! I've been lurking on these forums for awhile, trying to learn what others have done and all that! Mostly concerned with the meth, as browsing through the various kits and setups, it seems overwhelming on deciding which to get. The windshield washer reservoir seems ideal, since you can still use it for both purposes AND use the same liquid (or so I've heard). Plus, it's inconspicuous. How often do you usually need to fill the reservoir?

I'm kind of excited to see what COBB in Portland will be able to do, plus it should give a reasonable estimation of what they should be able to put out for their off-the-shelf maps (minus meth, of course)

Trying to find the best prices for all this stuff is going to be a headache too

Oh! And any random bits I'll need for any of this gear. I know I should look into gaskets for the dps/catback, and maybe heat-wrapping the dps (is that something you can do yourself?), but other than that, I'm not too sure on the 'random bits' part.

Last edited by NorthwestN54; 06-23-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Depends on the dyno...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Welcome. Lots of questions in this post. If you look over on the e90 section, you'll find a number of build thread posts with comparision dynos as various parts were added.

Lots of reasons for variations, but a FBO N54 without Meth is typcially in the ballpart if 350whp IIRC and 400whp with meth.

FBO = tune, intake, FMIC, +DPs

Getting a basline befor your changes is a great way to figure out how much improvement you got later
Appreciate 0