BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Cracked Spoiler

Hi guys just have a problem. I bought my spoiler from Dan a while ago but didnt end up opening it to check it. Gave the dealer my spoiler yesterday as my car has come in and found there is a crack in the spoiler. Dan cant do anything about it because I bought it a while ago. The crack is in the laminate that covers the spoiler, its about 2cm long. It looks like a white line on the spoiler, does anyone know if this can be repaired. Really Devastated at the moment as I have been waiting for my car for now 5 months and was really excited about getting the spoiler fitted.

Thanks Guys
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
Hi guys just have a problem. I bought my spoiler from Dan a while ago but didnt end up opening it to check it. Gave the dealer my spoiler yesterday as my car has come in and found there is a crack in the spoiler. Dan cant do anything about it because I bought it a while ago. The crack is in the laminate that covers the spoiler, its about 2cm long. It looks like a white line on the spoiler, does anyone know if this can be repaired. Really Devastated at the moment as I have been waiting for my car for now 5 months and was really excited about getting the spoiler fitted.

Thanks Guys
Im sure it can be repaired but doubt it will look the same.
Maybe you could patch it up and get it painted? would be a different look.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I am assuming you are talking about a CF rear spoiler..

If the package was never opened I would be getting on to Dan and demanding a replacement...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Shouldn't matter how long ago it was, if it was damaged goods he should replace it.

This has been a problem with quite a few of the spoilers he's shipped from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Cracked Side Skirts

I had a similar problem with side skirts I purchased from Dan at United. I got the same response from him. I would recommend trying Tischer BMW in the future for your parts, much better service in these situations.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

First spoiler I had delivered from Dan has a big crack in it. Obviously I notified Dan straight away and he got a replacement sent.

Second only arrived with one of the tips slightly crunched, but I decided I could live with it, and learnt my lesson.....don't order long fragile items from overseas!
      12-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
thanks guys but dan said he could do nothing since it would be a fedex issue and he could only claim within 21 days. have to see if it can be repaired but not even sure who will do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
out of curiosity, how does dan know it was fedex's fault and not BMW's quality control?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Guys understand that I don't mind helping out with claims. That's never a problem.

135iBMW, I wanted to help, but how can I claim a package with FedEx when the parts are already installed? :iono: Had your the parts been left in the package, the pictures you sent me would have been fine. The fact they were installed would immediately deny the claim.

I want to help Warren out, but at this point in time I can't do much. I can't file a claim with FedEx because the package was delivered in July. They won't pay the $335.00 + $120.00 in freight. FedEx has a 21 day claim policy. It's not that I don't want to help, every claim I've received that I'm able to fulfill, I do fulfill.

I've stood my ground with FedEx and shipped out replacement spoilers that were damaged during shipping. I ended up eating $3,500.00 in spoilers because FedEx would not pay the claims. Do I want the customer to be out $335.00 plus freight? Absolutely not.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should do, please let me know. I'm more than willing to try what you guys have to say, I'm here to service the Addicts. It's not as simple as sending a replacement without some sort of claim.
      12-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Have to say thought that i bought mine from Dan as well and didnt experience any issues... but then again i did rip the box open to stare at the spoiler when i got it!

Just couldnt wait.

Also had issues with Dan accidentially overcharging but he made good by repaying the amount PLUS a bit more for the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
Guys understand that I don't mind helping out with claims. That's never a problem.

135iBMW, I wanted to help, but how can I claim a package with FedEx when the parts are already installed? :iono: Had your the parts been left in the package, the pictures you sent me would have been fine. The fact they were installed would immediately deny the claim.

I want to help Warren out, but at this point in time I can't do much. I can't file a claim with FedEx because the package was delivered in July. They won't pay the $335.00 + $120.00 in freight. FedEx has a 21 day claim policy. It's not that I don't want to help, every claim I've received that I'm able to fulfill, I do fulfill.

I've stood my ground with FedEx and shipped out replacement spoilers that were damaged during shipping. I ended up eating $3,500.00 in spoilers because FedEx would not pay the claims. Do I want the customer to be out $335.00 plus freight? Absolutely not.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should do, please let me know. I'm more than willing to try what you guys have to say, I'm here to service the Addicts. It's not as simple as sending a replacement without some sort of claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Hey guys I have posted pictures of the spoiler in the detailing section. Wanted to get some opinions from the pros. Any fellow australian feedback would be greatly apprecitated. Heres the link http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...780#post305780
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Evan@Tischer
Rep
Drives: Online Parts Sales

Hi fellow 1addicts. Dan, we feel your pain...we too have had issues with broken and cracked cf spoilers and other cf parts. We now make it a point to check these as soon as they come in from BMW as it seems some of them arrive at our facility already defective/damaged before we ship to the customer...I suggest doing the same to avoid this headache. :wink:

On another note, we also believe it's the customers responsiblity (or whoever recieves the package) to immediately check the contents for damage.....this is common sense when ordering anything online if you ask us. Our policy is the reciever has 48 hours to notify us of any missing or damaged parts......and we are always happy to make exceptions to this rule as long as it's within the timeframe we have to file a claim with the shipping company.

As Dan mentioned, there is a specific time frame from the shipping carrier in which we have to file damage claims with. If neglect to check your stuff when you get it and not confirm to the vendor's policies, and wait until after the 30 days or however many the shipping company allows, why should the vendor be responsible...?

I guess the bottom line is, Dan, us, and most vendors here are only here to help and give the best possible customer service possible....but please, please help us help you. I think you'll find that any issue can be fully resolved as long as it's brought to the vendor's attention in a timely manner. :thumbup:

Ok...off my soapbox now...Happy New Years, 1Addicts!

Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | New: Shop Porsche & Audi parts!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

Agree 100% with Dan here, i think its the buyers responsibility to fully check out the item before they install it. No supplier/store will return a item installed - buyers fault. Thumbs up to Dan - it's not like he hasn't tried
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
btw i am sure this is how the cf spoilers are being delivered...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=056_1230760051

Dan is a great guy and packs up his stuff really well....when i got my m door sills the box looked like someone played soccer with it...but thank god dan packed it well they were safe inside.
      01-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Dan,
As I told you. my problem is that your packing was sub-standard, no bubble wrap, additional wrapping, shipping foam, etc,

I have had spoilers, etc shipped from other vendors and they bubble wrapped the item and packed the box with shipping foam, bubble packs, etc and I had no problem with damage.

You asked how can you improve, listening to what your customers are saying maybe a start, in this case it sounds as though you did not hear my recommendation to you. Since you mentioned that you have already had problems with products damaged during shipping. common sense would be to look for a solution to stop the "shipping damage" problem. This is my last post on this subject unless Dan wants to pursue this further in a public forum....

Thank You

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:

If it is a Fed Ex issue they should take care of the problem.
They wont because it,s an old shipment?
Ship him out a new spoiler, then put in the claim and send FE the damaged unit.
Problem solved, customer happy, your not out any cost, Fed Ex pays for the damaged unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
We've had problems with shipping in the past (June) and since then we've sent off all our extremely fragile items to FedEx testing labs to ensure that they pass which they do, except the spoiler. It doesn't matter what the packaging is on the spoiler, it got damaged in 1 out of every 8 cases.

I listen to my customers when it comes to packaging, as it's not only a disappointment for the customer, but a hassle for me. The rocker panels housed in the box came back as passed from FedEx, so in the rare event that there was a damage they would claim it. There was only one damage out of about thirty, and unluckily that was yours and I apologize that it happened to you. However, it's not possible to claim a package when it has been installed. The box had two white shipping foams on each end. I don't have a problem standing up for the customer against a shipper. Thank you and it's a shame it has come to you being disappointed and me with nothing that can be done about it.

Also thanks to Tischer BMW for standing up for us!
      01-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
If it is a Fed Ex issue they should take care of the problem.
They wont because it,s an old shipment?
Ship him out a new spoiler, then put in the claim and send FE the damaged unit.
Problem solved, customer happy, your not out any cost, Fed Ex pays for the damaged unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW
Should and do are completely different. They owe me $3,500, but I had to write it off at the end of 2008. That's money that I stood behind for customers who had damaged spoilers in which United BMW stood up to our end and FedEx did not. This results to:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20654
      01-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Dan,
Since the item was also painted, I know UNITED packaged the item before shipping. Like I told you, your response is disappointing. I guess for UNITED sending rocker panels in a plastic bag in a box with no bubble wrap, shipping foam is acceptable but other vendors don't agree because they have done the above and I have had no problems with shipping damage. The reason these vendors do this? CUSTOMER SERVICE

I have no problems ordering items from your company Dan, I just won't order anything like rocker panels etc. that may/will sustain damage during shipping because it does not look like the shipping packaging has changed....

Quote:
We've had problems with shipping in the past (June) and since then we've sent off all our extremely fragile items to FedEx testing labs to ensure that they pass which they do, except the spoiler. It doesn't matter what the packaging is on the spoiler, it got damaged in 1 out of every 8 cases.

I listen to my customers when it comes to packaging, as it's not only a disappointment for the customer, but a hassle for me. The rocker panels housed in the box came back as passed from FedEx, so in the rare event that there was a damage they would claim it. There was only one damage out of about thirty, and unluckily that was yours and I apologize that it happened to you. However, it's not possible to claim a package when it has been installed. The box had two white shipping foams on each end. I don't have a problem standing up for the customer against a shipper. Thank you and it's a shame it has come to you being disappointed and me with nothing that can be done about it.

Also thanks to Tischer BMW for standing up for us!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
I understand bud, but that's how they come from BMW and that's how we had them tested at the lab. I wish I had a better answer for you and also wish I could have done it the way I see fit.. unfortunately I can't make FedEx pay up for this situation.

Process: Buy from BMW -> Paint -> Re-pack -> Send

I hope your next experience is a better one, and if we've lost your business I hope you won't be disappointed as an enthusiast. It seems like a dying breed out there, and I hope you continue to have faith in BMW, the dealerships, and vendors alike.
      01-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Dan,
Like I have told you, disappointing answer. Sub standard packing and your company has learned nothing from the problems you are experiencing. I understand your position on this and as I mentioned in a previous post, I weill just not purchase any item that may be damaged during shipping because the packing is not up to the standards I have seen from other vendors.

I think this thread has run its course and I will not respond to further post on this topic. If people have questions about what occured they can PM me but posting further will serve no purpose.

Also, again I have no problem ordering items from UNITED, in this case though I feel they have dropped the ball and have not learned from it....

Quote:
I understand bud, but that's how they come from BMW and that's how we had them tested at the lab. I wish I had a better answer for you and also wish I could have done it the way I see fit.. unfortunately I can't make FedEx pay up for this situation.

Process: Buy from BMW -> Paint -> Re-pack -> Send

I hope your next experience is a better one, and if we've lost your business I hope you won't be disappointed as an enthusiast. It seems like a dying breed out there, and I hope you continue to have faith in BMW, the dealerships, and vendors alike.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I think that the multitude of satisfied customers speak for the customer service and care that Dan and other vendors on here provide. I think we can all see your frustration with the parts you received but taking it out in a public forum like this seems to be an effort to hurt Dan. If you have ever worked in a big company with a shipping department things get broken, it happens. I mean I have lost 50,000 dollar amplifiers in shipping before, do you think I ate that cost? No way! That's why you always check the contents! Better luck in the future.