BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #45
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Just wondering how much fluid the trans requires, is it only 1L?

Talked to my dealer today and yesterday, service rep showed me his computer screen, says trans oil change every 3rd oil service (SB date July 2011) but no requirement for 1200 mi service. I showed him the attached SB from Canada and he even talked to the regional rep who said Canada is a different market than the US, so they won't cover the trans fluid change until the 3rd oil change, which is BS! Last I checked Canada is in North America and they call themselves BMWNA. Anyway, looking to change it myself, not giving these clowns $200 in labor to change it. (that was his quote). And they don't have it in stock, nor can they find out a part number in their system.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
Just wondering how much fluid the trans requires, is it only 1L?

Talked to my dealer today and yesterday, service rep showed me his computer screen, says trans oil change every 3rd oil service (SB date July 2011) but no requirement for 1200 mi service. I showed him the attached SB from Canada and he even talked to the regional rep who said Canada is a different market than the US, so they won't cover the trans fluid change until the 3rd oil change, which is BS! Last I checked Canada is in North America and they call themselves BMWNA. Anyway, looking to change it myself, not giving these clowns $200 in labor to change it. (that was his quote). And they don't have it in stock, nor can they find out a part number in their system.

Yup, change the trans oil yourself. It is not hard at all. In fact changing the engine oil is harder. lol The trans should hold 2.0L of MTF-LT-5 oil. I know I saw some posts where bmw claims it only holds 1.2L but I think that is incorrect. It is the same trans as the 135i N55. And on my N54, my trans took 2.0L of fluid. I bought 2.5L just to be safe when I was changing the fluid... bc I did not want to be caught short - on oil - when my car was up in the air. G.L.

Btw... over here in Germay... since the customer is paying for services... guess what... BMW AG says to change the trans, diff and engine oils at 2K kms.

Also... I am searching for a good used 2nd BMW e39. I was over at my dealer yesterday and asking them about any problems with the e39's. My guys tehre asked me IF I was gonna buy an automatic... I said ohh no! They said thats good... bc with LifeTime fluids... the A/T 5er are done at 200K kms - without trans fluid changes. They said it wil need a fresh trans. lol Change that oil!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #47
pebblebeachguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M and '13 M5

Trans and Diff Oil Probably Wrong

Just received documentation of what was used for 1200 run in maintenance.

Oil For Manual Transmission 83-22-7-533-818

Rear Diff Oil ZL90W Limited Slip

I don't see either of these two oils as correct specificaiton according to this thread.

Service rep at BMW tells me the Manual Trans oil is MTF-LT-3 and the ZL90W is what is put in M car rear diffs.

Sounds like he's wrong and he's let me drive this car over 500 miles with the wrong spec oils (motor oil and filter checks out with this thread as correct).

Any damage from this?

In addition to changing out the get the correct oils, is there anything else I should do?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #48
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeachguy View Post
Just received documentation of what was used for 1200 run in maintenance.

Oil For Manual Transmission 83-22-7-533-818

Rear Diff Oil ZL90W Limited Slip

I don't see either of these two oils as correct specificaiton according to this thread.

Service rep at BMW tells me the Manual Trans oil is MTF-LT-3 and the ZL90W is what is put in M car rear diffs.

Sounds like he's wrong and he's let me drive this car over 500 miles with the wrong spec oils (motor oil and filter checks out with this thread as correct).

Any damage from this?

In addition to changing out the get the correct oils, is there anything else I should do?

Looks like all wrong (trans and gear) oils. Interestingly you did not say which engine oil did they use. ?

MTF-LT-3 is used for most of the older manual trans BMWs. Like e36's and e46's or even my 135i. But it has been superceeded to MTF-LT4. So they must have had it on hand and did not order you the correct trans oil. LT-3 or LT-4 can not be used where/when LT-5 is spec'd.

The 1M needs to use MTF-LT-5. Not the LT-3 that they put in your trans.

The Castrol SAF-XJ-+FM diff gear oil is rated at: SAE 75W-140, GL-5, BMW LS.

Most gear oils are only 75W90 or so.

I hope they used the normal full synthetic 5w30, 0w40, or 0w30 BMW oil in your motor. And not the M3's TWS 10w60 oil that some dealers seem to think is ok. It is not.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #49
pebblebeachguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M and '13 M5

They did use the correct 5-30 oil with the correct BMW part number.

The Manual Trans oil is clearly wrong although they are checking out my story that the LT3 they put in is incorrect. Is there a BMW doc I can direct them to?

They did not put down the Rear Diff oil BMW spec number, only that it was ZL90W which I guess is not an acceptable oil.

Any harm done for the miles (500) that these two have been used?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #50
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Just had mine done yesterday. Looks like they put in the wrong transmission fluid even though they were prepped!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #51
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Please update the first post to include part number 07-51-0-017-954 for the 5W-30 engine oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #52
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Possible Wrong Fluids :: Help?

Hi guys, was wondering if you could review my BMW Service Record to see if the fluids my dealer put in my 1M are correct. Any help is much appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #53
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yup, change the trans oil yourself. It is not hard at all. In fact changing the engine oil is harder. lol The trans should hold 2.0L of MTF-LT-5 oil. I know I saw some posts where bmw claims it only holds 1.2L but I think that is incorrect. It is the same trans as the 135i N55. And on my N54, my trans took 2.0L of fluid. I bought 2.5L just to be safe when I was changing the fluid... bc I did not want to be caught short - on oil - when my car was up in the air. G.L.

I just had the transmission fluid changed with the Porsche stuff. 1.2L of fluid came out, 2L went in. So they might be filled to 1.2L from the factory, but the capacity is 2L up to the fill indicator. Good news is that the old fluid passed the magnet test - no metal shavings found. Transmission also smoother - shifts between 2nd/3rd are buttery where before they were slightly notchy.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #54
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
I just had the transmission fluid changed with the Porsche stuff. 1.2L of fluid came out, 2L went in. So they might be filled to 1.2L from the factory, but the capacity is 2L up to the fill indicator. Good news is that the old fluid passed the magnet test - no metal shavings found. Transmission also smoother - shifts between 2nd/3rd are buttery where before they were slightly notchy.
After getting my transmission oil changed to the fluids in my last post i have felt 1st gear become 15-20% "notchier". Any insight if this is the right stuff?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #55
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post
Hi guys, was wondering if you could review my BMW Service Record to see if the fluids my dealer put in my 1M are correct. Any help is much appreciated!

They put the WRONG fluid in yours. Your invoice lists LTF-2 (same as mine and Metak's): Part # 83-22-0-406-941.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #56
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After getting my transmission oil changed to the fluids in my last post i have felt 1st gear become 15-20% "notchier". Any insight if this is the right stuff?
I noticed mine was a bit notchy today when driving it in to the dealer (where it will sit for a few days while they get the correct fluid). However, I just attributed this to driving my other car (that has a much different shifter feel) last night and today...

I only put about 8 miles on the car with the LTF-2 fluid in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #57
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
They put the WRONG fluid in yours. Your invoice lists LTF-2 (same as mine and Metak's): Part # 83-22-0-406-941.
Ok some I'm confused do we use LTF-5 (this is for Manual Transmission), which is wrong on my service sheet. But isn't my rear diff oil wrong as well??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #58
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok some I'm confused do we use LTF-5??? Is this with FM Booster?
The car requires 2L of LTF-5 Manual Transmission Fluid (when it needs to be changed). The part number on your invoice is for four 1/2 L (total of 2L) quantities of LTF-2 (which happens to be the M3's transmission fluid).

The FM Booster is something completely different and is for the rear differential (this is the same as in the M3).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #59
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
The car requires 2L of LTF-5 Manual Transmission Fluid (when it needs to be changed). The part number on your invoice is for four 1/2 L (total of 2L) quantities of LTF-2 (which happens to be the M3's transmission fluid).

The FM Booster is something completely different and is for the rear differential (this is the same as in the M3).
So I am writing to my SA and letting him know to change my LTF-2 fluid to LTF-5. What I am confused about is if my Diff oil (# 467 993) is wrong as well, want to make sure to clarify this in the email.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #60
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^+1. Exactly.

Drace1... go look at my post #48 above - and you will read the same.

Do you guys see why I keep saying just change the oil yourself! I can not believe this is still going on at BMW dealers. IF it were my car I would order the correct oils and grab a wrench and do it myself. Or take it to a mechanic I trust.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #61
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Quote:
Ok some I'm confused do we use LTF-5 (this is for Manual Transmission), which is wrong on my service sheet. But isn't my rear diff oil wrong as well??
Yes, sir. Wrong differential oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #62
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^+1. Exactly.

Drace1... go look at my post #48 above - and you will read the same.

Do you guys see why I keep saying just change the oil yourself! I can not believe this is still going on at BMW dealers. IF it were my car I would order the correct oils and grab a wrench and do it myself. Or take it to a mechanic I trust.

Dack
Wow, to tell you the truth, the lack of clarity about the proper maintenance for the 1m is pretty crazy...

I even made sure to bring up the topic to my SA when I brought my car in for service. As you can see noted in my service record it states "Check for proper diff oil" and its still wrong... Don't know who to blame for this, the dealerships lack of research or BMW not updating the system correctly...

Anyway, all i know is I want to get the proper fluids in without a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #63
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

From experience, the best way to get it done correctly, is to: (1) bring the applicable service bulletin(s) in with you (most are on this thread); (2) confirm part numbers live when checking the car in; (3) deal directly with the service manager; and (4) be firm but cordial. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #64
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePerkins View Post
From experience, the best way to get it done correctly, is to: (1) bring the applicable service bulletin(s) in with you (most are on this thread); (2) confirm part numbers live when checking the car in; (3) deal directly with the service manager; and (4) be firm but cordial. Good luck.
Yea, I honestly think this is the best/only way to get this done. I tried going in and bringing up the topic of fluid mix ups and they said they already knew about the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #65
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
The service bulletin SI B00 01 10 from Canada linked on the first post of this thread is from May 2011 and does state the manual transmission fluid (MTF-LT-5) should be changed at the 1,200 mile run-in service (see page 14 of the bulletin). However, that bulletin was superceded by the June 2011 version of the same bulletin. The June 2011 bulletin says the manual transmission fluid does not need to be changed at the 1,200 mile service. So I think the most recent U.S. and Canada bulletins do in fact say the same thing.

I've attached the June 2011 version of the Canada bulletin. Below are screen shots of the relevant sections from the May and June bulletins.

For my part, I'm hoping to get the manual transmission fluid changed on my run-in service on the way home from PCD. If they don't have the fluid, I'll do the service myself as soon as possible after I get home. They ordered the fluid, but they're not sure if it will arrive in time for my service. The part number they ordered was 83 22 2 156 969, which is a 1L size and matches one of the part numbers listed on the first post in this thread. There's a picture of it in the first post, too.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B00 01 10_June 2011 Canada.pdf (405.5 KB, 2157 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #66
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My pathetic saga continues. My dealer's head service rep contacted BMW NA after getting nowhere with regional tech and their answer was that LT-2 is correct and that putting LT-5 could jeopardize my warranty!! My guy is trying to help but says my next move it to customer service phone number. Does anyone have an official document for US to use LT-5? I am not sure the Canadian bulletin is going to do it. An official statement for Germany would be enough to get me to just have done by an indie service center. Someone in FL said their rep made contact with higher ups that gave the thumbs up on LT-5--can he get us a name?
Appreciate 0