12-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #67
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
My pathetic saga continues. My dealer's head service rep contacted BMW NA after getting nowhere with regional tech and their answer was that LT-2 is correct and that putting LT-5 could jeopardize my warranty!! My guy is trying to help but says my next move it to customer service phone number. Does anyone have an official document for US to use LT-5? I am not sure the Canadian bulletin is going to do it. An official statement for Germany would be enough to get me to just have done by an indie service center. Someone in FL said their rep made contact with higher ups that gave the thumbs up on LT-5--can he get us a name?

IF I were in your shoes... I would purchase (all) the correct fluids - and have an indi shop change it for you. Or do it yourself. Then I would sit down and write BMW NA a nice letter - sent registered US Mail asking for payment for the service you had to have done bc of their dealers are so incompetent. I can not believe this still is happening.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #68
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Got the ok

So my dealer gave the ok to Change the fluids, I will be on my way this morning. I'm going to have them sign the records stating that they put the wrong fluids in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #69
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here we go again...

Update: Shop foreman messed up again... He was not aware/going to replace the LT-2 they put in for the LT-5 even though the new service request stated to change my trans oil?!

On top of that I'm getting attitude and treated like crap for their mess. I'll write a more detailed report/review on a new post.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #70
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post
Update: Shop foreman messed up again... He was not aware/going to replace the LT-2 they put in for the LT-5 even though the new service request stated to change my trans oil?!

On top of that I'm getting attitude and treated like crap for their mess. I'll write a more detailed report/review on a new post.
What dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #71
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Man. I'm at 1100 miles and quaking in my boots. I mean, everyone here has done their due diligence in informing the dealer and despite doing everything you can, wrong fluids are being put in left and right. WTF???
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #72
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Man. I'm at 1100 miles and quaking in my boots. I mean, everyone here has done their due diligence in informing the dealer and despite doing everything you can, wrong fluids are being put in left and right. WTF???
Do this and you should be fine:

1. Make sure you go there with you the service bulletins printed, be firm that you want to review it with them (I wasn't firm and error occurred).

2. Walk through the correct oil part numbers and verify they are in stock

3. Have them sign annotate on the preliminary service record that the P/N will be used.

If you do the above and anything goes wrong than I'd be extremely surprised. If you want to go beyond have them save the empty bottles for proof. In all honest I wouldn't do it any other way. I budged an go screwed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^+1. I would also make TWO copies of the fluids needed. One for the SA and one leave inside the car for the Tech to see. Or better yet... go talk to the tech who will actually be doing the work.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #74
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Service bulletins

But what service bulletin to use for the LT-5? My dealer is not impressed by the Canadian one and I have seen nothing else on these forums...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #75
speedyjoe
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3/1M

gosh... after changed the FM fluid (SAF-XJ ,+FM booster) from BMW but the weird noise from the diff is still here. gotta call my SA to check on this again.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #76
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Does anyone have a source for purchasing the LTF-5 Fluid? Dealer can't seem to find it and thus my car is stranded.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #77
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Does anyone have a source for purchasing the LTF-5 Fluid? Dealer can't seem to find it and thus my car is stranded.
Any Porsche dealer, which in my experience in VA is usually located near the BMW dealer. Get 2L of the stuff that looks like this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1323849897

Might want to call ahead to make sure they've got it, using the Porsche part # on the bottle. Then I got mine changed at a trusted indy mechanic since it's not longer part of the (free) 1,200 mile service at your BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #78
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
Any Porsche dealer, which in my experience in VA is usually located near the BMW dealer. Get 2L of the stuff that looks like this:

Might want to call ahead to make sure they've got it, using the Porsche part # on the bottle. Then I got mine changed at a trusted indy mechanic since it's not longer part of the (free) 1,200 mile service at your BMW dealer.
Do we have confirmation from Pentonsin that it is in fact the same fluid?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #79
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do this and you should be fine:

1. Make sure you go there with you the service bulletins printed, be firm that you want to review it with them (I wasn't firm and error occurred).

2. Walk through the correct oil part numbers and verify they are in stock

3. Have them sign annotate on the preliminary service record that the P/N will be used.

If you do the above and anything goes wrong than I'd be extremely surprised. If you want to go beyond have them save the empty bottles for proof. In all honest I wouldn't do it any other way. I budged an go screwed.
+1. Also don't leave the dealer until you've compared the part numbers on your printouts to the part numbers on your service receipt. Be aware that different sizes of the same fluid have different part numbers - my engine oil ended in 954 (not 866) and I was getting ready to flip until I searched it on www.getbmwparts.com and realized it was for the drum size. Just bring a laptop/ipad/smartphone etc. to the dealer with you, or ask to use the CA's desktop if there's any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #80
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do we have confirmation from Pentonsin that it is in fact the same fluid?
Refer to the PDFs here: http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CR...Pento_FFL3.pdf and here: http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

The first PDF from Pentosin references the Porsche part # on the bottle, and the second PDF from ZF references the transmission in the 1M (S6-45) along with the recommended fluid (FFL-3, otherwise known by BMW as MTF-LT-5)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #81
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Refer to the PDFs here: http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CR...Pento_FFL3.pdf and here: http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

The first PDF from Pentosin references the Porsche part # on the bottle, and the second PDF from ZF references the transmission in the 1M (S6-45) along with the recommended fluid (FFL-3, otherwise known by BMW as MTF-LT-5)
Can't believe that the dealer will put FFL-3 into the car without BMW's approval.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #82
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can't believe that the dealer will put FFL-3 into the car without BMW's approval.
It's the same fluid they'll be putting in at your later services, so I can't see why they would refuse (although knowing some dealers, it wouldn't surprise me). I got my transmission fluid changed at an indy, knowing it wouldn't be covered by BMW as part of the maintenance plan.

Of course, I can't be held responsible in the event that Pentosin/BMW/ZF reverses course on the recommendation, and/or damage occurs to your transmission, etc. This is simply the course I chose to take with my car. The "safest" route from a warranty perspective is certainly to follow the current service recommendations, which don't specify any transmission fluid changes at all at the 1,200 mile service. That said, I (and probably others) suspect that the primary reason the service bulletin was updated to remove transmission service from the running-in service was because the BMW-branded FFL-3 was on backorder. That makes me concerned about what effect the lack of initial fluid change might have after the 50k mile warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #83
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's the same fluid they'll be putting in at your later services, so I can't see why they would refuse (although knowing some dealers, it wouldn't surprise me). I got my transmission fluid changed at an indy, knowing it wouldn't be covered by BMW as part of the maintenance plan.

Of course, I can't be held responsible in the event that Pentosin/BMW/ZF reverses course on the recommendation, and/or damage occurs to your transmission, etc. This is simply the course I chose to take with my car. The "safest" route from a warranty perspective is certainly to follow the current service recommendations, which don't specify any transmission fluid changes at all at the 1,200 mile service. That said, I (and probably others) suspect that the primary reason the service bulletin was updated to remove transmission service from the running-in service was because the BMW-branded FFL-3 was on backorder. That makes me concerned about what effect the lack of initial fluid change might have after the 50k mile warranty expires.
Thanks for the comments. I wish I had the option to not change the fluid ... however, the dealer did not heed my advice and put the wrong stuff in.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #84
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Shouldn't we all be contacting BMW NA...? This has happened to enough of us to become a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #85
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

Bentone -
What's the labor running for a transmission fluid change? I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer and will probably shop it out to some of the local indys. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #86
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Bentone -
What's the labor running for a transmission fluid change? I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer and will probably shop it out to some of the local indys. Thanks...
I give my indy a lot of business on other cars so mine was free. But shouldn't be billed out at any more than 30 min labor. It's very simple, literally drain and fill. Any one of us could just DIY, but I wanted peace of mind knowing that it was done by a "professional".
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #87
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
BMW NA

Quote:
Shouldn't we all be contacting BMW NA...? This has happened to enough of us to become a big deal.
I think so; currently I am trying out the service managers at 2 other dealers in my area (Knauz and Patrick, both suburban Chicago) after dead-ending at Motorwerks. If no satisfaction it is time for "customer relations", first by phone then in writing if need be and would love to tack on other "stories".
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #88
EMPIRE M
EMPIRE M
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

So I'm about to get my run-in service in two days (odo @ 1100) and just to be clear I should ask them NOT to do the manual trans fluid? I know to specify the oil and rear diff fluid but should i just ask the SA to pull up "SI B00 01 10" and have him review with the tech that's doing the work?
Appreciate 0