BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
GUM911
Rep
Drives: None

Cree 120W LED H8 Bulbs for Angel Eyes

I've read a few threads and couldn't find anything specifically on this, has anyone had any experience with these? I have already coded my stock halogens to run brighter and am now looking for the crisp white look.

I used a set of Cree LED's for mountain biking at night and found them exceptionally bright and great value.

From a search on eBay it seems the majority of H8 angel eye products are 40W, logically a 120W bulb would give off much greater brightness then. What are the drawbacks or risks of using higher wattage bulbs?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-120W-C...UAAOSwSzdXBdk0
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

More power might outpace what the wiring can handle. More power might create extra heat that could damage something inside the headlight. Notice I say might. Also, these might not really be that bright but an exaggeration. I note that the pictures for some reason don't want to show you the ballasts needed, so keep in mind you have to find a spot for them like you do all other similar replacements.

In the end they may be fine but I doubt you have anything unusual or special here. If you pioneer it, be sure to keep an eye on things since you won't have a history of an already-known-good product to count on. Which is not to say you shouldn't try these, just be sure to keep an eye on things.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUM911 View Post
I've read a few threads and couldn't find anything specifically on this, has anyone had any experience with these? I have already coded my stock halogens to run brighter and am now looking for the crisp white look.

I used a set of Cree LED's for mountain biking at night and found them exceptionally bright and great value.

From a search on eBay it seems the majority of H8 angel eye products are 40W, logically a 120W bulb would give off much greater brightness then. What are the drawbacks or risks of using higher wattage bulbs?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-120W-C...UAAOSwSzdXBdk0
The advertising for E-bay sellers is generally a bit misleading. The amount of light is determined by the LED's as well as how the power supplies handle the power going to the LED's. From our experience most of these e-bay ones use the same power supplies and just add more LED's.

by adding more LED's they change the "W" number since they can theoretically handle more power, but in reality the amount of power going to the LED's didnt change.

I would recommend going with a tested and proven product already, and there are a good number of them in the Vendor section here on the forum. There are lots of comparison pictures and testimonials of how people wasted money on e-bay junk and ended up buying something much better in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

^ as above, the 120W rating there is more meant for comparison in regards to brightness output compared to other competing setups, in no way is it consuming that amount, I'm sure it is in no way consuming the amount of power your halogen bulbs consumed so your good regardless.

I believe those LED Drivers don't compensate for voltage drop to keep a consistent brightness output so if your into getting some coding done then get your vehicle coded to not do the voltage drop when xenons are on and when the vehicle engine is not running.

Only downside I found to running really bright LEDS is you get a more offset look with a much brighter inner ring vs outer.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
GUM911
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was just looking at alternatives to spending $150 AUD on a new set of bulbs.

I have already coded my angel eyes to avoid the voltage drop with the Carly app.

When you say offset of inner vs outer rings, are you simply saying the inner right appears brighter?
Appreciate 0