BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

How Adaptive Headlights Work?

Guys

Just want to know if I screw up my adaptive headlights after installing the Lux V3 LED.

It is so hard to fit the little black casing into the headlight housing so that it does not block the moving mechanisms inside.

When driving at night, I steer left, I can see the light beam stir left and I got off the car and look at the front, both the projector faces left at an angle.

I repeat the same for the right side but when i look at the projectors again only the left side projector facing right at an angle but the right side projector still remains staionary.

Drove the car again and steer the steering wheel left & right, I can see the light beam moving left & right.

Hopefully I am been over sensitive not the installation of the Lux V3 causes this as I might not put the little black Lux V3 casing properly.

Thanks.
      12-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Here goes... the Adaptive Headlights(AHL) only work when the headlight switch is in AUTO mode. When you turn left or right... the headlights will move in that direction. Also the inner headlamp will light up in the direction you are turning. I think the headlamps can pivit or more something like 30' from center position. When you reverse the headlights lock in the center position and bother inner lamps light up.

IF you park next to a wall - and have the light switch in AUTO mode... you can turn the steering wheel and watch the headlights move with the steering wheel inputs. But the right)pass) headlight will move more than the drivers side. I'd say that the passegner side will move 30' while the drivers's side will only move 15'. It is only when moving(driving! and at slow speeds 30 mph or so) that the drivers headlight will move the same as the passenger headlight does. I don't know hwy that is, but it is so.

IF there is anything imparing the movement of the AHL you will see an error on the dashboard. IF that is the case it will usually be $$$ to replace a headlight. The biggist issue is when ppl mod the AE is not getting the covers back on correctly and moister enters the headlights. Then its $$$$ to replace them. G.L.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep

Thanks for getting back to me Dackelone. I do not have any error codes at all.
And I do make sure the covers are put back propely and both the metal clips secure back to it original location.

I think I get what you mean here, that means passenger side will move at a wider angle than the driver side.

I did face in front of the wall just now and try, when I steer left both the driver & passenger side turns towards left direction. But when I steer right the passsenger side turn towards right direction while the driver side didnot turn much is this normal or am I being an idiot?

There is no error message saying the movment of AHL being hindered or impaired.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me Dackelone. I do not have any error codes at all.
And I do make sure the covers are put back propely and both the metal clips secure back to it original location.

I think I get what you mean here, that means passenger side will move at a wider angle than the driver side.

I did face in front of the wall just now and try, when I steer left both the driver & passenger side turns towards left direction. But when I steer right the passsenger side turn towards right direction while the driver side didnot turn much is this normal or am I being an idiot?

There is no error message saying the movment of AHL being hindered or impaired.

Thanks.

That is normal opperation of the AHL. I know it doesn't look right... but it is working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
That is normal opperation of the AHL. I know it doesn't look right... but it is working correctly.
Haha I am absolutely an idiot .

Thanks mate, at least I know my AHL is working fine.

Worth the extra time to change the AE to Lux V3.
Now I can sit behind my steering wheel and enjoy my Lux V3 at dusk or late evening.
Appreciate 0