BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #45
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
The overheating/limp mode issue is very interesting. When I went to Road Atlanta back in '09 for Oktoberfest myself and another member (tkbrown) both ran in the same group. He overheated/induced limp...I didn't....only difference between our vehicles? We had different tunes, I had a DCI and he had stock airbox. We both had stock IC's....I have NEVER had my car overheat or get a limp mode (at least due to heat )
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #46
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Yeah, guess you're right.

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #47
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
The overheating/limp mode issue is very interesting. When I went to Road Atlanta back in '09 for Oktoberfest myself and another member (tkbrown) both ran in the same group. He overheated/induced limp...I didn't....only difference between our vehicles? We had different tunes, I had a DCI and he had stock airbox. We both had stock IC's....I have NEVER had my car overheat or get a limp mode (at least due to heat )
Well, I do drive mine a lot harder than he does. He mentioned that he kept the RPM's lower through the corners, as I was downshifting one more gear...

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #48
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Don't some 135i's (non-sport/M package models) come without oil coolers? Maybe you have one and he does not. Maybe you were just more kind to your car by coasting through more sections and so on. Every car is different and maybe you just got lucky!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #49
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
Don't some 135i's (non-sport/M package models) come without oil coolers? Maybe you have one and he does not. Maybe you were just more kind to your car by coasting through more sections and so on. Every car is different and maybe you just got lucky!
Actually his was newer than mine. I had an '08 and I am pretty sure his was an '09. My tune was also running more boost as well...go figure...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #50
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat767676 View Post
Well, I do drive mine a lot harder than he does. He mentioned that he kept the RPM's lower through the corners, as I was downshifting one more gear...
Well that supports the theory that the AT is overheating the water. I think you should try pure water plus Water Wetter.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #51
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I use motul mocool. Suppose to run 30 deg cooler. Dont know about running 30 cooler but it seem to drop 10 deg
      09-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #52
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Have any of you guys had oil temperature issues? I keep getting the boost reduced after about 3-4 laps and notice my oil temps are 3/4 of the way up the factory gauge! What can be done??

Second question: If I already have coilovers with camber plates, do I still need larger front sway bar or M3 control arms?
First off this thread is dangerous. there is a LOT of bullshit information on here and I would caution you listening to some of this bs in the thread. Pixelblue has sound recommendations for tracking.

Overheating issues? Make sure you are not running one of those DCI's or similar products. Simple K&N drop in filter and stock box. Secondly, you NEED a IC. Turbo lag??? arent you at the track and I doubt you would even notice the change on a daily basis. Third, look into a bigger or adding another oil cooler. And lastly, Meth injection will greatly reduce temps and probably make the biggest difference.

Suspension question - do you NEED M3 sway or control arms? Thats personal question since you are the one driving your car, but if you car is set up properly as is, then why would you get that? Larger front sway is a great way to increase the already horrible understeer so be careful with that. If you are running camber plates then coilovers you should have enough adjustment to address most short comings without adding new parts. Once you have played around with your existing setup then can you answer your question about adding more stuff. suspension is not just plug and play...it requires testing, adjusting and seat time to get it dialed in correctly.

Brakes - stock pads, stock brake lines, stock brake fluid WILL FADE. If you dont experience it then I will guarantee you are not at your cars limit or not really pushing it. Not a single car out on the track that is running hard and pushing it would survive with the stock pads,lines, fluids.

my 2 cents
      09-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #53
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
First off this thread is dangerous. there is a LOT of bullshit information on here and I would caution you listening to some of this bs in the thread. Pixelblue has sound recommendations for tracking.

Overheating issues? Make sure you are not running one of those DCI's or similar products. Simple K&N drop in filter and stock box. Secondly, you NEED a IC.
The DCI alone does NOT cause the overheating. Like I mentioned before I ran at two different tracks in the Southeastern U.S. (routinely 90f+, 80%+ humidity) and did NOT overheat at all(with stock IC and a DCI), the other 135i? He overheated(with stock IC and stock airbox)....it is a stone cold fact that it DID happen. That being said I agree that an IC will help....lets not start saying a LOT of BS info unless you are going to be specific about what IS Bull and what isn't

p.s. Did I mention I had a tune and was running higher boost as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #54
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
The DCI alone does NOT cause the overheating. Like I mentioned before I ran at two different tracks in the Southeastern U.S. (routinely 90f+, 80%+ humidity) and did NOT overheat at all(with stock IC and a DCI), the other 135i? He overheated(with stock IC and stock airbox)....it is a stone cold fact that it DID happen. That being said I agree that an IC will help....lets not start saying a LOT of BS info unless you are going to be specific about what IS Bull and what isn't

p.s. Did I mention I had a tune and was running higher boost as well?
I agree, I wasnt trying to imply that the DCI would cause overheating, just worse in heat soak issues but if its hot enough you will get heat soak with either in my experience.

didnt call out all the BS since I dont want to get in reply battles with folks. People like you and Pixel always have sound advice and there are others. You and I both know what the BS is in here, just given a general warning. Even stuff I say doesnt apply to all since the conditions of my track, temp, humidity etc is different that others. All in all its seat time on the track and making adjustments (one at a time) to see how the car reacts. Nothing out of the box is gonna be perfect until the end user adjust to their needs.
      09-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #55
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
When I did upgrade my IC I went with HPF though Wish they would hurry up and come out with their other stuff for the E82 platform!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #56
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I'm debating whether my next mod should be an IC or an oil cooler. After that an LSD and a tune and I should be golden
      09-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #57
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
@Pixelblue: Have you had on-track or otherwise heating problems? If the answer is no, then I would get that LSD first considering your situation (as in you track more often than the average 1er owner). If you are having ANY type of heating issues get that IC first....TBH I would get the oil cooler last after the rest of the suff on your list
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #58
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Adrian,
Luckily no heat issues so far. Last time the temps were up but under 280. I figured the oil cooler will help reducing some stress. Tune will be last though. Still debating whether dinan LSD or not. For IC I'm thinking hpf or helix. For tune either Cobb or ESS. Getting prep'd for next season...
      09-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #59
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Good stuff! I hope to get to VIR next year with the UnitedBMW crew...maybe I will get a chance to check you out there. BTW isn't the DINAN unit a rebadged WAVETRAC??? Not to mention more costly when purchasing from DINAN....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #60
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
look forward to meeting you next year! you remember we had a discussion 6 months ago about the dinan lsd. $2500 out the door. no core return and dinan waranty. anyway my first choice would be os giken but that costs more.
      09-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #61
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
look forward to meeting you next year! you remember we had a discussion 6 months ago about the dinan lsd. $2500 out the door. no core return and dinan waranty. anyway my first choice would be os giken but that costs more.
Ah yesss...ok I remember now. I will have to check with my guy in Charleston, SC to see how that would work out for me then.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #62
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@Pixelblue: Have you had on-track or otherwise heating problems? If the answer is no, then I would get that LSD first considering your situation (as in you track more often than the average 1er owner). If you are having ANY type of heating issues get that IC first....TBH I would get the oil cooler last after the rest of the suff on your list
How does the intercooler help with the heating issues? I might have to go for that next......hmm.....

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #63
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
An intercooler is essentially a big radiator. You run the hot compressed air from the turbocharger through the intercooler to bring down its temperature and make it denser. Hot air expands and allows less air to flow therefore prevents you from maximizing power. So you are pretty much dropping intake temps before it gets to the turbo. You feel most power gained in higher gears out on the track.
      09-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #64
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Will lower IAT's equal more laps on track before high oil temps?

I had another shop recommend removing the oil thermostat so the oil flows into the oil cooler right away, giving you more laps as well. Any downside to that in AZ?

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #65
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
How does the intercooler help with the heating issues? I might have to go for that next......hmm.....
According to Dinan, the ECU adjusts both fuel mixture and ignition timing for air inlet temperature:

Quote:
a. Basically, colder air is denser, which means there are more oxygen molecules going into the engine. Because of this, more fuel must be injected to maintain the proper air fuel ratio. The opposite occurs when the air is hot, in which case less fuel is injected into the engine.

b. A colder charge is less prone to detonation, so the ignition timing is advanced with cold air and retarded with hot air to protect the engine.

A better intercooler will reduce inlet temperature, advance the timing, and lean the mixture.
So a better intercooler minimizes power reduction due to high intake air temps. The more your tune increases boost, the more you will need this.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #66
mpatrone
Corridore Italiano
Rep
Drives: AW 135i Msport 6MT

Everyone likes to talk about upgrading hardware for track use, but a significant change that many might not be doing is using a heavier weight oil. BMW's Castrol 5W-30 is simply not up for track use. I do oil changes halfway between services and after a few track days with the BMW recommended Mobil-1 0W-40. I have yet to see an oil temp over 260/270 (and I push the car HARD).

The best practice would be to use an even higher weight racing oil on the track, like Redline 15W-50; however, you absolutely would have to change back to Castrol/Mobil 1 after the track event as its not suitable for street use.
Appreciate 0