BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
rag1983
Rep
Drives: 135i Blue

Need Help! Advice wanted!!!

I just put my deposit down for a 135, sport, prem for 1200$ off sticker and no dealer fees!!!!:biggrin:

Now the hard part: I need some help finding a good color combo for my car.

I have put down Monaco Blue w/ Lemon Interior, I think that combo compliments itself very well.

However, I would like to hear what other people's opinion are of this and what colors they picked (and why). The reason being it will be awhile before My car goes into production so I have plenty of time to change my mind. One concern I have is that scratches and blemishes will show up easier on the Monaco blue as opposed to my Ti Silver 330ci that I have now. Anyone have any insight on that?

Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

I chose AW and Taupe cuz TX sun is a B*tch

blue with lemon is a fantastic choice though. If I lived up north and my current car wasn't blue that whould have been my first choice.
      04-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I don't know about scratches, but DON"T change your color choices. The Monaco and Lemon will look FANTASTIC.
What color trim are you leaning to?
My choice of SGM with Black Leather and Gloss Black was a very conservative choice. Because that's me. I've had many black cars and wanted to try something a little different with the SGM. There is also a Space Gray (I think) 7 series that parks in our lot at work and that drew me to the SGM decision.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
rag1983
Rep

I was leaning toward Gray Poplar. Looked pretty sharp IMO. Anyone know about the visibility of easy scraches on dark paint (monaco)?

PS. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

I'd go with either jet black or sparkling graphite

interior choices would be terra, savannah beige, or black

I'd only get the high gloss black trim

it's your car so make sure you get what you like and not what people on a forum tell you to like
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Monaco Blue | Lemon, very nice. There's one somewhere on this site. I went SGM | Black | Aluminum. The combination is more subdued, sophisticated, conservative (thanks TP), or boring, depending on your frame of mind. I don't need to advertise that my car, In Production!!, is Bad Ass.
      04-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
johnyguy
Rep
Drives:

My car is a dark blue color similar to monaco it is very easy to get scrathes almost like black, i would prefer montego over monaco, much easyer to keep clean , and also the lemon interior is very elegent but gets dirty so easily you gonna have to spend time and money keep that thing clean over and over , i would pick terra still elegent but a darker color would look great!!

just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Hopefully, you can look at some cars in real life at the BMW dealership. Even if some are on different models, it might help. There are lots of photos here as well. Ultimately, this is one the most individual and personal decisions you will make. When you are looking at cars, see which color excites you the most. That will be your next 1er!!!
      04-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice choice (I orig had the Monaco as well)...but make sure you see that color in PERSON!! It is much darker than in the pics on this and other sites. Honestly I just couldn't make myself love it in person (waaay to dark)...so I switched to Black Sapphire. Lemon is a beautiful interior, but as others have said...might be really hard to keep clean (every SA at the dealership sheepishly grin and agree with that as well haha)...but luckily BMW has given us other options in the two-tone (Terra, Savanna, Coral ) My main suggestion is to spend some time as the dealer looking at the colors/trims in person...after all, it's the only way to get a sense of what they REALLY look like! and GOOD LUCK!!
:roundel:

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
rag1983
Rep

Yea Im just afraid that the moment I take delivery of the Monaco Car, Ill start seeing white blemishes all over the place without even doing anything. I usually take meticulous care of my cars, so even If it does get scratched as long as it can be buffed out fairly well, I am ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Someone on here got Blue Water with Lemon and it looked very nice.

Personally I got black interior because I'm a bit of a slob and don't want anything I have to worry about staining.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:02 AM   #12
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Should you go with black be prepared for some interior heat, particularly of course, during summer. I went with JB and have absolutely no regrets despite the obvious interior temperature liability, but then, I live in Oregon. Some years ago, a friend worked at a Mazda dealership in Phoenix, he thought it might be interesting to drop a thermometer in a black on black RX-7 during an August afternoon, 115 degrees outdoors, 170 degrees inside the RX-7! While extreme, that example was expressed for demonstration purposes only.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #13
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

A tint and a sunshade for the front window should help the seat temp issue. Also cracking the windows and putting the sunroof into vent mode will help if the exterior color of the car is dark.

I live in the desert and on bad days it can get upward of 110 (not as bad as Phoenix, but still bad) Doing those things wont exactly keep your car cool, but it will prevent the leather from burning any exposed skin when you sit down.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And if you have I-Drive or the premium package (I not really sure which) you can program the cars fan to run for up to 1/2 hour before you come out to get into it. It's really nice. The A/C doesn't come on but the fan runs and drives out much of the hot air (I leave the sunroof tilted up for a relief path). Very cool feature. You set the timer and when it's time the fan runs for 1/2 hour.

Also in Surnames described test above. It would have been much better to have also put a thermometer in a light colored car to compare.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #15
DTLoughlin
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag1983 View Post
I was leaning toward Gray Poplar. Looked pretty sharp IMO. Anyone know about the visibility of easy scraches on dark paint (monaco)?

PS. Thanks for the help so far guys.
I have owned three black cars and my wife's '07 Camery is currently black. When clean and waxed, nothing is nicer. The monaco blue falls into this catagory and when I first considered the 135i, I was drawn to it. Upon further consideration however, I went with the AW with Black Leatherette/Glacier Aluminium silver trim.
History tells me that though beautiful, dark colors shown dirt, dust and every tiny scratch possible (and believe me, I baby my cars).
Still, when I see a picture of the Monaco Blue, I have second thoughts....it's a great color.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
And if you have I-Drive or the premium package (I not really sure which) you can program the cars fan to run for up to 1/2 hour before you come out to get into it. It's really nice. The A/C doesn't come on but the fan runs and drives out much of the hot air (I leave the sunroof tilted up for a relief path). Very cool feature. You set the timer and when it's time the fan runs for 1/2 hour.
Really? That's cool. So do you set it when you get out to turn on after a certain amount of time? Or do you have to set it on some sort of daily schedule to come on at say 4:30 every evening?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #17
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I have had about 20 cars and trucks in many colors.

Your color combo will look great.

BUT dark colors are ALOT MORE work period.

I prefer White, Silver, or any light color. I have a black car now and HATE IT. MY 0.02 If you like silver I suggest that color, I had 3 silver cars and they were as easy as white, which WILL be my next choice. A light color car is like taking care of dark carpet in your home. A black car is like PURE WHITE carpet in your home.

IF you like washing your car every day, then get a dark color, also plan on waxing it about every 4th wash. I PREFER light colors. Even though I am a CLEAN FREAK.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Really? That's cool. So do you set it when you get out to turn on after a certain amount of time? Or do you have to set it on some sort of daily schedule to come on at say 4:30 every evening?

Dan
You set the time that you want it to start before you leave the car. Then at that time it starts and runs for 1/2 hour or until you get there and start the car and take over control of the ventilation system.
You have to set it to go each time because it won't allow two consecutive starts without the engine being operated (to recharge the battery). Otherwise if the car sat for ,say, a week without driving it would run the system 7 times in a row and could drain the battery too much. So they built in this requirement to avoid that possibility. It does save the start time that you select but you have to enable it each day (actually you can save 2 different times and enable them separately).
So I set it when I get out to go into work. Set it to start at 4:45 pm so when I leave at 5:00 pm it's been ventilating for 15 minutes.
AND.....since we are having fun with technology......If you have Voice Command, to enable the system quickly you say (through voice command) "Parked Car Operation", and the screen with your saved times comes up, you check the box for the one you want to enable and you're done.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0