BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Some questions about akrapovic

Hello everyone, as I've seen that a lot of the members here have akrapovic on their cars and as I'm tempted myself to get it, so I thought you could answer me some questions about it.

1. Does it void the BMW warranty?
2. I'm thinking about getting the evolution system with wireless kit, but not the downpipes, do they make a big difference?
3. With the valves closed how similar is the sound compared with the stock sound? (With the valves open I know it is just brutal )
4. Did anybody already have any problem because of the exhaust itself? or anything related with it?
5. I read that when you get the exhaust you have to make some changes in the ECU, it this true?
6. Does it affect the fuel consumption?
7. (Stupid question) The wireless kit has any batteries? What if it runs out of it? Easy to change?

I would be very happy to hear your reviews of the exhaust and thanks in advance for you help!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

dont have one but i can answer some questions.

1. in my case, dealer did not mind of any changes.. i did changes from suspension, intakes, charge pipe, downpipe and did not void any warranty
2. if i were you i'd take the downpipe as well, regretting not purchasing and re-ordering will take much more time..
3. dont know but yes, heard them on the track the other day.. its loud.. but having 5 1Ms with akrapovic seems a bit boring *somehow.. its too popular
4. -
5. what cause the engine check is usually the cat-less downpipe, but what my dealer said if there is an engine check. just restart the car and it will be gone *not sure..
6. i do think so..
7. i had valvetronic, it is powered from the car's electronic..

well thats my answers..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for you answers mate! Got to check with the dealer first then, btw what does the downpipes do? it changes the sound that much? I guess the Evolution system is cat-less so I guess the engine check light will appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
dont have one but i can answer some questions.

1. in my case, dealer did not mind of any changes.. i did changes from suspension, intakes, charge pipe, downpipe and did not void any warranty
2. if i were you i'd take the downpipe as well, regretting not purchasing and re-ordering will take much more time..
3. dont know but yes, heard them on the track the other day.. its loud.. but having 5 1Ms with akrapovic seems a bit boring *somehow.. its too popular
4. -
5. what cause the engine check is usually the cat-less downpipe, but what my dealer said if there is an engine check. just restart the car and it will be gone *not sure..
6. i do think so..
7. i had valvetronic, it is powered from the car's electronic..

well thats my answers..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodiniz21 View Post
Thanks for you answers mate! Got to check with the dealer first then, btw what does the downpipes do? it changes the sound that much? I guess the Evolution system is cat-less so I guess the engine check light will appear.
from experience and thoughts.. downpipe has real affect on turbo charged motor, yes sound and performance.. it is also a favourite mod part for turbo cars..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

You won't likely have any check light because of the install of Evolution system, which is catless by the way, because there are no sensors in the secondary cats in stock exhaust system. You will only have the check light when/if you change the down pipes with catless units. A catless down pipe will make the exhaust sound louder, there is no doubt about it, among other things it will do. I personally like the sound of full Akra system with down pipes more than Evolution which is also pretty good.

I don't have Akra but people who have it reported that when you keep the valves closed the sound will be very quiet, probably even quieter than stock.

For some (mostly minor and fitment related) issues reported about this exhaust, you really need to go to engine/exhaust subforum and check numerous threads posted there. There are many threads, so give yourself some time to search.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

i my self have a valvetronic exhaust system.. did not manage to drive with the valve off.. always let it open..
somehow with lost of sound and i believe power..
i feel like we did not let the car breathe like it should by closing the valves..
so yeah.. its pretty useless just +1 feature on the car.. and only used "once a year" lol..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

1. Does it void the BMW warranty?
Let's face it: it's no official BMW approved part, so the answer risks to be affirmative. However, BMW mounted it in 2011 on the MotoGP Safety Car 1M, so the quality can't be that bad after all (by the way, Akrapovič is an official partner of Audi Sport for the endurance race series and since 2012 also of BMW Motorsport in the DTM Championship - so we may reasonably assume that, in general, BMW appreciates the Akra technology). In the event of car trouble, it remains to be determined whether a caus(ation)al link effectively exists between the Akra and the trouble.
2. I'm thinking about getting the evolution system with wireless kit, but not the downpipes, do they make a big difference?
No personal experiences with the Evolution System. Got the modest "N55 + Akra Slip-On axle-back exhaust + wireless kit" setup (to each his own, but to my ears that setup strikes the right balance); though, I do know that catless DPs = noise, smell and requires coding; you will not regret getting the wireless remote: bi-polar exhaust (dis)order (valve closed for the Dr. Jekyll times and valve opened for some Mr. Hyde hooliganism fun).
3. With the valves closed how similar is the sound compared with the stock sound? (With the valves open I know it is just brutal)
Similar to stock sound, but in a different way (a little more refined ?). With valve closed, no fumes exiting the outer pipes (so during the first minutes, those queuing behind you in traffic may think that those outer pipes are fake - but then again, same goes for the outer pipes of the Ferrari Enzo on start-up and below a certain rpm range ).
4. Did anybody already have any problem because of the exhaust itself? or anything related with it?
As regards the way it operates, I neither heard nor read negative testimonials. As regards mechanics or aesthetics, there was initially an issue with a rubber mounting, but that was resolved by Akra (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=64) and some owners experience a slight different spacing between the tailpipes (but that could be related to the way of mounting/orienting the tailpipes) (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27).
5. I read that when you get the exhaust you have to make some changes in the ECU, it this true?
As long as you leave the stock 1M downpipes sit where they are (no replacement by catless DPs), normally no codes will be thrown at you (no coding required - the sensors are located inside the DPs, not inside the midpipe or inside the axle-back exhaust).
6. Does it affect the fuel consumption?
Yes, but as a self-inflicting side-effect: for aural pleasure reasons you tend to stay more and longer inside the rev band ranging between 3000rpm and 5500rpm (oil temp might climb a little and fuel range might drop a little); other side-effects: less music playing through the speakers and windows are regularly opened a little.
7. The wireless kit has any batteries? What if it runs out of it? Easy to change?
The wireless remote has a battery, but forget about it or about changing it (if the battery lasts more than half a year, call yourself lucky ); actually, the wireless plug belongs inside one of the 12V sockets (cigarette lighter socket or the socket between the front seats), not inside your pocket; except if your 12V sockets are occupied by other electronic devices, a battery is definitely redundant: if you keep the wireless remote plugged in, it's permanently operational, ready for toggling between white mode and red mode (aka "Thunder Mode").

Have a look at the little list of 10 'features' experienced so far with the N55 + Akra setup:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=36

Cigarette lighter 12V socket (EURO spec 1M):

MotoGP Safety Car 1M cargo at El Prat airport (Barcelona) on route for the first MotoGP of 2011 (March 2011):

Last edited by Artemis; 08-11-2014 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Corrected the link to the MotoGP 1M picture
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

i have the evo setup with dps and wireless kit:

1) basically what artemis said. however i think it depends on your dealer. mine doesnt mind me running the evo with dps... and i still have the warranty.

2) dps make a huge difference with regard to noise and smell. i doubt you'll notice a big change in power if you run with the dps or not (however you will most likely be required to do some coding with the dps).

3) id say with the valves closed its quieter than stock. however, ive noticed that if i open the valves, drive around for a couple of miles and then close them again, the akra sounds louder than if i keep the closed from the start on...

4) i do have slight difference in spacing between the tips and the diffusor (left and right). but then again i dont run the stock diffusor - so i blame that

5) see question 2)

6) and 7) dito what artemis said

hope this helps you. IMO get the evo with dps )
      09-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Keep in mind my system is in loud, "red" mode 24/7...A couple clips, more to come:

Video 1: WITHOUT the downpipes, bolt ons, or software:
http://web.stagram.com/p/534881692679403942_315670253

Video 2: With DP's(full bolt on) and software. Third gear.
http://web.stagram.com/p/534884339327171060_315670253

If you have software, I highly recommend the down pipes! It unleashes the beast within!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009

Last edited by bmw13; 09-05-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thank you for all your kind answers, I think I'll pass the DPs because the smell part scares me a bit and because I don't want to change the software of my car anytime soon, thank you once again!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodiniz21 View Post
thank you for all your kind answers, I think I'll pass the DPs because the smell part scares me a bit and because I don't want to change the software of my car anytime soon, thank you once again!
See my earlier post re "the smell": http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=23