BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Good Concise Coding References?

Hi folks,

I'd like to start learning about coding the E series and have been Googling and searching around the interwebs for relevant material without a great deal of success. One particular goal I have in mind is coding out the TPMS and replacing it with FTM to eliminate the costly and unreliable wheel sensors.

I've found bmw coding dot com and am doing some reading there, but the majority of what I find there (and elsewhere) is 60+ page threads started back in 2010 where half the content is about whether a particular cable will work, etc.

Does anyone know of a good concise source which has relatively recent information presented in readable fashion which can be assimilated without navigating endless threads with little of value?

Thanks for any help,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Hi folks,

I'd like to start learning about coding the E series and have been Googling and searching around the interwebs for relevant material without a great deal of success. One particular goal I have in mind is coding out the TPMS and replacing it with FTM to eliminate the costly and unreliable wheel sensors.

I've found bmw coding dot com and am doing some reading there, but the majority of what I find there (and elsewhere) is 60+ page threads started back in 2010 where half the content is about whether a particular cable will work, etc.

Does anyone know of a good concise source which has relatively recent information presented in readable fashion which can be assimilated without navigating endless threads with little of value?

Thanks for any help,

ianc
Unfortunately good concise sources are something I think that the BMW community at large is lacking. Other car communities such as the MX-5 Miata have great resources like Miata.net's garage which summarizes a ton of commonly needed info. There's a ton of great information spread over numerous BMW forums, but it's mostly buried in long threads and almost impossible to know if your wasting your time or about to find the nugget of info you need. I'd actually love to start a wiki or something to help condense knowledge and provide long term hosting for images.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:03 AM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

All you need to know is in the e90 coding section. There are also some tutorials on YouTube. I've learnt it that way, it's not complicated.
      12-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
I'm slowly but surely working my way through this learning process too, and feel your pain on not having a simple step by step guide. I thing that's where Carly comes in, a straight up point & click process. My thoughts are that if you want the more complex abilities of the full kit you need to work your way through everything the old fashioned way and really get a sense of scope & scale so there is real appreciation for how badly things can go wrong if you just randomly mash buttons...

Attached pdf's are from the help folder included with "BMW v3 Coding" virtual machine image. The VM is large, but seems pretty all inclusive. For me it was much easier to deal with than hunting down the different parts.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Guide to BMW Coding (2011.04.23).pdf (193.2 KB, 745 views)
File Type: pdf NCSDummy Manual.pdf (1.34 MB, 2198 views)
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Thanks for the responses guys. I've actually just finished my first prerequisite for this, which was to get INPA, NCS Expert, NCS Dummy, Rheingold, etc. working on my Win7 x64 laptop. I've read over some basic tuts and pulled some daten files off the car, but more theoretical info such as what the various CPU's do, what info needs to be coded to which CPU(s), etc would really help. For example, I believe that if your coding a new VO, it needs to be coded to more than one CPU? By now I've figured out that kombi is the dash, and (I think) CAS is the motor controller, but what about the rest of them like FRM and NFRM? Just wish I could find some docs that gave a basic overview. Even these sites that specialize in coding don't have any good basic info! A wiki would be fantastic, if we could collect enough info to populate it...

ianc
Appreciate 0