E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > An email from my dealer hurts me so badly..

Closed Thread

06-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

An email from my dealer hurts me so badly..

I got an email from my dealer today from whom I bought my 330i a month ago.
He mentioned about the phone survey from BMW.
Here's the email.

Quote:
Hi,

I just received a copy of your response to BMW's survey on how I did. As I had
explained to repeatedly when I sold you the car, all my bonuses were dependant on
you giving me a score of "5" to their questions. You had assured me you would.
You gave me a 4 on allmost all the questions. That is going to cost me a monthly
bonus that amounts to four times the commission I made on selling you the car.
The score you gave me is the second worst score I've received in eight years of
selling BMW's. And I went out of my way to take care of your needs, such as....

My income supports me and my family and I don't appreciate it when it gets
affected by someone that had no reason to do so. .... Despite whatever the chat rooms and
discussion boards you qmentioned to me told you, that is a mistake made by BMW of
North America, and not me or my dealership. I would appreciate not having to deal
with you in the future, and have no need for any referrals from you.
I didn't even realize that the scores are that important to dealers and I thought 4 out of 5 wasn't that bad and I thought my dealer was not bad at all... Is it totally my mistake to unintentionally give most of 4's to the survey??

I want to hear what you guys thinking about this matter. Did I do something terrible to lose the whole 'relationship' with my dealer???

Even if the dealer would have been really bad and one reflected it on the survey, would all the dealers send out the email to the customers like that???

Last edited by drfluid; 06-28-2005 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
It's bad only if this is true: ... "just received a copy of your response to BMW's survey on how I did. As I had
explained to repeatedly when I sold you the car, all my bonuses were dependant on
you giving me a score of "5" to their questions. You had assured me you would.
You gave me a 4 on allmost all the questions."

If I gave someone my word, and then flaked, I would feel bad. Damn, that's messed up.

EDIT: I don't think he sent the email to you on behalf of the dealership(although I could be very wrong here), I think he sent it to you personally.
Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

First of all, honestly, I don't remember he said that all the bonuses would be dependent on the scores...
Maybe I wasn't paying attention when he said that.

and yes, I think it was a personal email..
      06-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

My Jaguar dealer told me that the difference between 4 out of 5 and 5 out of 5 is HUGE.

I think he said a 4 out of 5 is something like a 70 %...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #5
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Total.. total BS on the dealers part . I would contact BMW NA about this. Ahh... this pisses me off....
      06-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
jetmechG550
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 325 Grey/Green

It's really unprofessional, IMO, that he sent you the e-mail. I would forward a copy to the GM at the dealership as well as BMW NA. I try to give 5's on the surveys but if something just isn't to my satisfaction I won't give 5. Just because someone asks you to give them a 5 doesn't mean you have to if you feel they didn't deserve it. I wouldn't sweat it but I would let someone hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

I think this letter is inappropriate. You are not bound to give the salesman a high rating. His job is to make sure you are happy with your purchase, he did you no favors by taking care of you ... that was his job. IMO, he is abusing the system. I'm sure BMW NA does not want theer salesmen telling cutomers about the survey and that they get higher bonuses based on their rating. That's unfairly playing the system and I'm sure the guy would get in trouble for that alone.

The only thing I would counter is that if you did tell the guy you would give him 5's, then he would fee betrayed or lied to. I'm sure that would be upsetting. However, that gives no right (IMO) to call you out on it. He is bound to provide you good service, you are not bound to give the highest rating.

That's like a waiter confronting you because they feel you didn't tip enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:02 AM   #8
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Ok man, I just read your post and I am apalled on the salesman's behavior. I suggest you to write a complaint letter to both dealership's management as well as BMW NA. It does not matter what you promised because you were pressured at the time when you ordered your car. But a score you gave is the score he deserves. I don't care if his entire family needs it. Perhaps he could have done better to deserve a 5. That's real life. Perhaps you can call BMW NA and change it to a 1 in all instead of 4.

5/5 and 4/5 is a huge difference, as my Volvo dealership told me. If you adjust and give your scored according to what they want you to give BMW NA or Volvo NA, then the scoring system will be ruined. Stick to what you believe in. Perhaps also suggesting to BMW NA that they shouldn't have given the score giver's identity simply by stating your incident. Forward the email from the salesman as well.

To dealers/salesmen out there, if you want a 5. Stop asking clients to give you a 5 but instead try your best to accomodate their needs. Make sure you ask enough questions and see if you really fulfilled their requests and needs. You can explain how important is a 5 but you can never ask "so you are going to give me a 5, right?". You will get what you deserve and not what you ask.

Best of luck
      06-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOO

That's like a waiter confronting you because they feel you didn't tip enough.
Very good analogy....

I have had service advisors at the Mercedes dealers ask (demand) for high scores, but I would receive kick backs like free gas, detail , etc. This also made some sense to me in the service department because you have an on going relationship with them( so both parties are in it for the long run)... But the sales guy can kiss my a$$.
      06-29-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Unf**kin believable. :mad: :mad:

And WTF is BMW thinking giving the names of the respondents out to the CAs??

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzbenz
Very good analogy....

I have had service advisors at the Mercedes dealers ask (demand) for high scores, but I would receive kick backs like free gas, detail , etc. This also made some sense to me in the service department because you have an on going relationship with them( so both parties are in it for the long run)... But the sales guy can kiss my a$$.
I think in order to receive your 5, they really have to do something OUT of their way. I want to ask what he did that was out of his way? Getting out of his bed to do his job? I think giving you perks or benefits (detail or gas) is one way. But this salesman can really suck my b@lls. BTW, can you cancel the order and order it elsewhere? Or state that you don't want to work with this sales anymore and want to get assigned to another salesman?
      06-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #12
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black Hamann E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Same thing happend to me at Crevier BMW. At the time I was buying my car, I got awesome service from them...So therefore I gave him all 5's at the dealership. But a couple of days later I went back into the dealership to ask him questions about the car and my bluetooth, all he said was to call the phone company so they can help you with the bluetooth questions... and was NOT very helpful after I bought the car. So when BMW Called me for the survey I gave him what I thought was the overall rating he deserved. He was not happy at all that I didn't give him all 5's. He emailed me and ask why.....and that I was the first person that didn't give him all 5's in the 15 years he worked there....I just replied by saying that you didn't deserve it!!! I went to the dealership yesterday and I saw him....We both looked at one another and didn't say anything. I had to go and make a appt for get my weather strip on the rear window at the bottom whrere it meets the trunk replaced. It came off!
2006 330i Automatic |Jet Black | Black Leather | Brushed Aluminum | Premium Package | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | 5% Tint | Hamann Kit | Tein SS-P Coilover | Forgeline VR3P 19x8.5 front 19x10 rear | Falken FK-451 235/35ZR19 Front 265/30ZR19 Rear | Rotora 6 Pistons Front 4 Pistons Rear Big Brake Kit | Fujita Air Intake

www.uucmotorwerks.com www.foxmarketing.net www.falkentire.com www.rotora.com www.f5air.com www.tein.com www.wheelpower.com
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550
It's really unprofessional, IMO, that he sent you the e-mail.
Very much agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #14
Arby 330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 330

well that sounds like a shity situation to me... What he did was definitly unprofesional without a doubt. what makes it almost justifiable is that u did say you would give him 5's. I know if i lost my bonus on a customer that got the same service as another customer that rated 5's on someone that rated 4's id be sort of upset. (sounds confusing but you can figure it out)

I was actually sort of disapointed at the knowledge of my dealer about the e90. i think the disapointment comes from the amazing amount of knowledge we gain from this forum. i think if we didnt read thise site we would have a lot more positive outlook on the knowledge of our sales rep and the overall sales experience. unfortunatley for the dealer and rep we hear about all the things we need to know and the things we know that they dont. So i myslef had a similar expierience because i was perfectly fine with my service, just simply was not amazed by it..... only difference is that i gave a "5" on every question that the survey gave me.
my two pennies
RB

did people have a similar feeling about the sales expierience/knowledge of the sales rep?

dont call up the dealer or BMWNA and report him you already lost him his bonus, you dont need to make him lose his job... (not trying to envoke a guilt trip, sorry)

5% suntek- all the way around (15% strip on front winshield)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:36 AM   #15
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys for all the helpful advices..

I also have a question on the regular BMW meintenance when my 'relationship' has been ruined like this.
He said he wouldn't want to deal with me anymore and does that mean that I can't go to the dealer for the maintenance that is covered by the warranty?

What should I do if I have any further inquires and/or problem with my car??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBeemer23
Same thing happend to me at Crevier BMW. At the time I was buying my car, I got awesome service from them...So therefore I gave him all 5's at the dealership. But a couple of days later I went back into the dealership to ask him questions about the car and my bluetooth, all he said was to call the phone company so they can help you with the bluetooth questions... and was NOT very helpful after I bought the car. So when BMW Called me for the survey I gave him what I thought was the overall rating he deserved. He was not happy at all that I didn't give him all 5's. He emailed me and ask why.....and that I was the first person that didn't give him all 5's in the 15 years he worked there....I just replied by saying that you didn't deserve it!!! I went to the dealership yesterday and I saw him....We both looked at one another and didn't say anything. I had to go and make a appt for get my weather strip on the rear window at the bottom whrere it meets the trunk replaced. It came off!
AznBeemer23, wasn't it hard to get the services not through your dealer? Is it even possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby 330
dont call up the dealer or BMWNA and report him you already lost him his bonus, you dont need to make him lose his job... (not trying to envoke a guilt trip, sorry)
yes.. good point, but I'm kinda worried about my future warrenty.

Last edited by drfluid; 06-29-2005 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #16
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
If you need service, go to the dealer. You don't need to go thru the sales guy for anything. It will just be some tension if you guys see each other. Sorry about the messy situation, it really sucks I'm sure. Hopefully time will ease the tension.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:42 AM   #17
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well I think the salesman shoud know his product inside out before they sell it. Maybe its the dealerships fault for not providing training on it. In my job..I make sure I know my product inside out so when people have questions I don't have to run around and ask others. I just think it makes the saesperson feels stupid when a consumer ask him a question about the product he's trying to sell and he as no clue what your talking about. If you don't know your stuff then don't sell it.
2006 330i Automatic |Jet Black | Black Leather | Brushed Aluminum | Premium Package | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | 5% Tint | Hamann Kit | Tein SS-P Coilover | Forgeline VR3P 19x8.5 front 19x10 rear | Falken FK-451 235/35ZR19 Front 265/30ZR19 Rear | Rotora 6 Pistons Front 4 Pistons Rear Big Brake Kit | Fujita Air Intake

www.uucmotorwerks.com www.foxmarketing.net www.falkentire.com www.rotora.com www.f5air.com www.tein.com www.wheelpower.com
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:46 AM   #18
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
AznBeemer23, wasn't it hard to get the services not through your dealer? Is it even possible?

I still take my car to my dealership...the service and sales are 2 different department. I will only go to my dealership for stuff under warranty...since they provide a loaner car. For all other stuff i'll go to a different place.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:50 AM   #19
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

HRC, that's good news if I won't have to confront him in future. it'd be awkward, though.

AznBeemer23, I totally agree with you.
My dealer was well aware of the features what he was selling. so I can't complain about that.....
      06-29-2005, 01:24 AM   #20
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Having just bought our 330i this past weekend, I know all to well how much a good salesperson makes to the deal. Thankfully, our guy was by far the most knowledgeable, most professional, honest salesguy we've ever delt with. Ever.

He'll be getting 5's - even though he never mentioned the customer satisfaction phone call to come. It blows my mind to think that a salesguy would have the audacity to email you personally and chew you out like that - let alone someone from BMW!!!

If I wanted that kind of service, I would have bought something a hell of a lot cheaper! There's a lot that's unspoken that comes 'with' a BMW, professionalism especially. If I were in your situation, I would go back to your dealership and be bigger than the pety salesguy and act like nothing's wrong....

And, be HAPPY with your new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 01:32 AM   #21
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow that is amazing to me. At the same time I have a serious problem with BMW if the salesperson is telling the truth in his e-mail. Now that is questionable if he is telling the truth, and odds are he is not telling the complete truth.

Like I said, I think its really unfair if the dealer or BMWNA dictates that a salesperson should receive no bonus if they don't get all 5's. That's just simply not how it should work. In my opinion 5 is outstanding service, 4 is good service, 3 is okay service, 2 is poor service and 1 is horrendous service. So the guy who got a score of 4's or 4's and 5's should get AT LEAST 1/2 the bonus the guy with all 5's got if not 2/3.

I am fairly certain that there is some unfair expectations going on from the backend of this survey resulting in such an upset salesperson. This can be seen from the other people's experiences in salespeople telling them what a huge difference there is between scores of 4's and 5's.

Its an unfortunate situation and I'm not sure what you promised then failed to deliver but I definitely think the tone of the letter was bad. In my opinion he should have contacted you but to ask why you rated him 4's instead of 5's, and what he could have done better.

This is also a lesson for me to maybe rate my guy 5's. Although so far I would say he is 5 material. If he doesn't give me those floormats though, no 5's for him
      06-29-2005, 01:37 AM   #22
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

My salesperson may get some 2's or 3's depending on the questions. You want a 5, you work for it. Whatever happened to "The customer is ALWAYS right"?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread