BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig in Alabam View Post
Wow! That looks like money well spent to me! And the lifetime/ unlimited miles makes it even better.

Cheers!
Craig
The term really is what sold me, I'm curious to see what the final amount they pay out will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Nice work! I was running an Excel spreadsheet to track the warranty payback for my 2011 135i. Within only two repairs, it had already paid back 65% of it's initial cost. You've done incredible well for yourself with your warranty. Depending on how you look at it, it has effectively been an investment with a substantial return.
Indeed it has paid itself off and then doubled the return. However I think a more wise investment would have been a more reliable car lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Yes, you've done well for yourself with that warranty. It's saved you a lot of money. I took a chance and did NOT get an extended warranty when my factory one expired and have been lucky so far. With approx 30K miles, I haven't had any repairs, yet. But eventually... there will be blood! Haha
For sure! Always worth looking in to - I replied to your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk997 View Post
Can't believe you already needed a new transmission at less than 60k miles. Prior owner must have really beat on it. Good call on the warranty.
Yeah 2nd felt notchy when I first drove the car, and one of the headlights was fogged up. So those two things definitely influenced my decision. THe headlight ended up being fine but the trans, woooo, that was a good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
new motor, new transmission, new frm, new belt w pulley, new turbos, later on new turbo seals again, passenger seat(airbag sensor), new power steering pump, new starter, new plugs coils and injectors after installing tune also, and thats really all i can think of right now but i have like 2 binders full of bmw reciepts, my car was practically built at my service center and these were all under cpo besides the motor and turbo replacement were under the original 4 yr warranty. im the second owner bought it 39k miles motor was changed at 50k transmission at 76 and im sittin at 120k right now

as for the tire and wheel warranty i live in ny so yea. lots and oots of flats. and a couple of rims here and there as well and so on....
That's insane, new motor at 50k?? AND a trans? What happened?? Also who supplies your tire and wheel warranty? I'm definitely interested, roads here are nuts (DC)
as soon asi purchased the car cpo it was rattling the motor badly so new engine was put inni had to wait one month for it fassforward 2 yrs later at around 76k miles my transmission was slipping out of gears badly sent it in cpo paid a new tranny..

wheel warranty. is bmw safegaurd tire and wheel. they literally pay out everything bubbles you name it
heck they even swapped out for example 2 conti sport tires for pSS, yea crazy right i love them thiugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
Penfed sells route 66 and it's easy to join. I'm thinking about Route 66, but it's $3K.
Checked with Penfed who suggested I contact Route 66 directly regarding my Dinan tune. Thought it best to be up front about my little tune because it could be discovered later on when I need coverage and my warranty could be voided. Glad I did because Route 66 stated they will not warranty my car because of the tune, which probably means that other companies will not warranty my car either. Guess I'm SOL. I don't care... it's only money. Haha
      01-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #25
FreeMan12406
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Garage List
Okay so my first time using Route 66....

I took my BMW 135i in to the local BMW dealership since my check engine light came on and I also had smoke coming from the exhaust. The break down...

Check engine light - caused by a faulty/non working boost solenoid valve. This is not covered under my Route 66 warranty. The dealership quoted me $506 for the repair. I ended up buying the OEM part online for $82 bucks and a buddy will install it.

Smoke - this is being caused by a leaky valve cover and is covered under my warranty so they are performing that repair. Quoted cost, $455 bucks.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
FreeMan12406
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Checked with Penfed who suggested I contact Route 66 directly regarding my Dinan tune. Thought it best to be up front about my little tune because it could be discovered later on when I need coverage and my warranty could be voided. Glad I did because Route 66 stated they will not warranty my car because of the tune, which probably means that other companies will not warranty my car either. Guess I'm SOL. I don't care... it's only money. Haha
My car is running a Jb4 tune and I have the warranty. Just don't say anything and always remove the tune if you go to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #27
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
Okay so my first time using Route 66....

I took my BMW 135i in to the local BMW dealership since my check engine light came on and I also had smoke coming from the exhaust. The break down...

Check engine light - caused by a faulty/non working boost solenoid valve. This is not covered under my Route 66 warranty. The dealership quoted me $506 for the repair. I ended up buying the OEM part online for $82 bucks and a buddy will install it.

Smoke - this is being caused by a leaky valve cover and is covered under my warranty so they are performing that repair. Quoted cost, $455 bucks.
Which of the Route66 warranties do you have? I think they have 3 levels. I opted for the top one - after the debacle of owning an e60 (OY!!) I wanted to be sure I was protected.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My car is running a Jb4 tune and I have the warranty. Just don't say anything and always remove the tune if you go to the dealership.
A flash tune can be detected even if you remove it. JB4 is not a flash tune but a piggyback so if removed it's undetectable. I'm not going to pay for a warranty that can (and probably will) be voided down the road.
      01-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #29
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
A flash tune can be detected even if you remove it. JB4 is not a flash tune but a piggyback so if removed it's undetectable. I'm not going to pay for a warranty that can (and probably will) be voided down the road.
None of the aftermarket warranty companies have a way to see a tune you have... I would only worry about that with CPO etc...

The only thing they will see would be parts that are visibly physically on the car if they send an adjuster to the shop to inspect the repairs needed, and whatever the tech/dealer tells them (trust me, the dealer would rather the warranty company pay for the repairs... I doubt they would say anything to void your warranty as it's a source of guaranteed work for them)
Appreciate 1
Esteban43796.00
      01-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #30
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
None of the aftermarket warranty companies have a way to see a tune you have... I would only worry about that with CPO etc...

The only thing they will see would be parts that are visibly physically on the car if they send an adjuster to the shop to inspect the repairs needed, and whatever the tech/dealer tells them (trust me, the dealer would rather the warranty company pay for the repairs... I doubt they would say anything to void your warranty as it's a source of guaranteed work for them)
Hmm... I didn't know that. A member who I respect MightyMouseTech, who is also a tech said:
Quote:
I believe the dealer can tell if the car has been flashed and put back to stock. Pretty much all car companies are going that way now. The tech can see every time the computer has been flashed, including the day/time it was done.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=4

So with that bit of info I thought it best not to take a chance. Will have to reconsider now based on what you said. Thanks.
      01-12-2017, 01:20 AM   #31
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Hmm... I didn't know that. A member who I respect MightyMouseTech, who is also a tech said:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=4

So with that bit of info I thought it best not to take a chance. Will have to reconsider now based on what you said. Thanks.
Bmws ISTA doesn't give the tech that type of info... unless there is a hard fault in the dme because of it... they won't be able to see it's flashed. That being said when the dealer scans the car, info is sent to BMW and they can see a lot more then the tech can. If you needed an engine or transmission or something big and Bmw decides to look into it, they could potentially see something and decide to void your warranty... so I would be concerned if it was a BMW warranty we were talking about.

You've gotta remember, these warranty companies are insurance companies, not car experts, they don't come diagnose the car... the dealer does, who then gives them a quote for the repairs. Sometimes the warranty company sends an independent adjuster who will talk to the advisor and tech, look over the car, and report back to the company.

I would be very careful about any mods that are visible... even something like a charge pipe might throw red flags depending on the adjuster
Appreciate 3
      01-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #32
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Bmws ISTA doesn't give the tech that type of info... unless there is a hard fault in the dme because of it... they won't be able to see it's flashed. That being said when the dealer scans the car, info is sent to BMW and they can see a lot more then the tech can. If you needed an engine or transmission or something big and Bmw decides to look into it, they could potentially see something and decide to void your warranty... so I would be concerned if it was a BMW warranty we were talking about.

You've gotta remember, these warranty companies are insurance companies, not car experts, they don't come diagnose the car... the dealer does, who then gives them a quote for the repairs. Sometimes the warranty company sends an independent adjuster who will talk to the advisor and tech, look over the car, and report back to the company.

I would be very careful about any mods that are visible... even something like a charge pipe might throw red flags depending on the adjuster
Good to know. Living here in California where practically anything and everything voids your warranty or is in violation of one thing or another is a pain.

But hey... we got great weather! Today it's raining though.

Last edited by Esteban; 01-12-2017 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #33
FreeMan12406
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Which of the Route66 warranties do you have? I think they have 3 levels. I opted for the top one - after the debacle of owning an e60 (OY!!) I wanted to be sure I was protected.
I have the Main Street deluxe and it was $2800 bucks. THre way it was offered to me was by how many years I wanted to purchase rather than different levels of a plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #34
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
rather than different levels of a plan.
I read this as "...different levels of PAIN" lol
      01-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #35
FreeMan12406
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I read this as "...different levels of PAIN" lol
lol hopefully not.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #36
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have the Main Street deluxe and it was $2800 bucks. THre way it was offered to me was by how many years I wanted to purchase rather than different levels of a plan.
Pretty sure I bought the Easy Street protection

Brochure
https://www.penfed.org/uploadedFiles...ure%202016.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #37
dat128
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i M-sport Space Gray

OP, can you pm me the name of the warranty company as well? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #38
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
PM on its way - trying to keep the company's names out of this thread
Why? I'm proud to say my ASG warranty has been as good as I expected. My only regret was not getting the radio/nav covered, as my bluetooth has been kicking my phone off consistently for 5 weeks now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #39
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Why? I'm proud to say my ASG warranty has been as good as I expected. My only regret was not getting the radio/nav covered, as my bluetooth has been kicking my phone off consistently for 5 weeks now.
It's more of a best practice thing than anything.

On the topic of your BT issue - What phone do you use? I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and I have never been able to get a reliable connection to my BT either. Same goes for my last S7 Edge, and Note 4
      01-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #40
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
It's more of a best practice thing than anything.

On the topic of your BT issue - What phone do you use? I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and I have never been able to get a reliable connection to my BT either. Same goes for my last S7 Edge, and Note 4
IPhone 6s.
But I've had problems with my Maxima and Pilot also.....though not as severe.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #41
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
IPhone 6s.
But I've had problems with my Maxima and Pilot also.....though not as severe.
I also have an iPhone 6s (no nav) but have never had a problem. I wonder if BT problems are common with our cars? Or does it have more to do with a particular phone?
      01-18-2017, 02:27 AM   #42
AyJay88
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat128 View Post
OP, can you pm me the name of the warranty company as well? thanks.

Ditto!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #43
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
That's a great thread! Does anyone know if any of these contracts cover the convertible top? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #44
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoe Ulbeht View Post
That's a great thread! Does anyone know if any of these contracts cover the convertible top? Thanks!
Are you referring to the fabric or the mechanics? The fabric may be considered a wear item by some since not everyone maintains them properly, not really sure how they'd handle that.