01-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Perfect shifting

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research about Aryton Senna and some other pro drivers and I heard that they can up shift and down shift a manual car w/o using the clutch. It's called "perfect shift".

Anyone tried it b4? After reading up a little, it seems like you would need to match the engine speed w the gearbox speed.. Anyway it's just for discussion ans information purposes before I get pelted w stones
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I used to upshift without the clutch in my RX-8 occasionally after reading about that and it was surprisingly easy. I never dared to to downshifts that way. In the RX-8, the shifter would easily pop out of gear with gentle input once I lifted off the throttle and would then pop right into the next gear as soon as the revs had fallen enough to match. It was pretty cool. I played around with it in normal driving, but never on the track and never accelerating fully. That is also a low torque car.

I think you would be begging to break something in the 1M if you did it under hard acceleration. I haven't tried it in the 1M because the shifter seems to ask for a little more precision, especially on the 1-2. I have also had about 3 occasions where 3rd gear ground on me, apparently from lifting the clutch a slit second too soon, before the gears were fully engaged. The funny thing is that it has never happened when shifting fast or accelerating fast, always when I am driving slowly and just being smooth (or not!)

Ayrton Senna (God bless him) didn't have to pay for anything he broke!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Hi guys,

I've been doing some research about Aryton Senna and some other pro drivers and I heard that they can up shift and down shift a manual car w/o using the clutch. It's called "perfect shift".

Anyone tried it b4? After reading up a little, it seems like you would need to match the engine speed w the gearbox speed.. Anyway it's just for discussion ans information purposes before I get pelted w stones
More commonly called "speed shifting."

My advice -- don't do it.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Car and Driver

Below is the article from Car and Driver on how to drive a stick without a clutch. I'll save this experiment for the next time I rent a car in Europe.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...thout-a-clutch

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Not sure how doable it is in a performance oriented car but did it all the time in an old ford ranger.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
Not sure how doable it is in a performance oriented car but did it all the time in an old ford ranger.
Guess this says it all
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

It's like mushrooms: they are all eatable by man, some only once.
      01-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

With a good gearbox it's very simple, not recommended, but simple.
      01-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
e82m_van
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1m

I've done it on my 1m... accidently..
I was driving with something on my mind and shifted into 4th from 3rd without clutch and I was like "what just happened?"
Tried it again and.. lets just say don't do it hahahah
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

In a good gearbox it's easy, also easy to F up. I used to upshift and down shift w/o the clutch in my STi which had an awesome gearbox. In a BMW... Don't do it
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0