BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
jturboawd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, 135i, m4, x4m

n55 CVS & Gas in Oil

1Addicts Peers,

I wanted to run this by you guys in case you find yourself in the same position, or in case you can enlighten me on the following. I am a happy owner of a 08 135i fbo daily. I recently purchased my wife a 2011 X3 with the N55 and ZF8. I always change the oil when I buy a car because I dont trust dealerships. I noticed a few things right off the bat. Slightly long starts, rich exhaust smell on start, the smell of fuel in oil during drain, and a strong vacuum on oil cap directly after being shut down.

After some research it appears the crank case ventilation system is different between n54 and n55 and the vacuum is normal (my n54 does not do this). I also hooked up my BT cable and could not find evidence of any codes, check rail pressure and could not find evidence of leaky injector.

I am of the opinion at this point that a injector (or a few) are leaking after the car shuts down (pooling on piston tops). This is made worse by the strong vacuum that exists on n55s, enhancing its ability to suck gas into the oil.

I have taken it to BMW to be looked at, as it is under warranty. I fear that they will tell me this is all normal, in which case I will get some oil analysis completed and follow up with BMW. I do not believe that gas in the oil is proper, not in this amount. It does not appear to change the oil level, but I did change the oil and noticed the smell from the cap immediately. So even fresh oil is immediately contaminated. My FBO n54 has never done this. I plan to keep the x3 stock as it is our mommy mobile.

This seem logical to you guys? Anything else you think I should check? The car only has 25k miles.

Thank You
Appreciate 0