BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
bclinsure
Rep
Drives:

Radio Issue

I just picked up my second 128 convertible 2 weeks ago. I basically got the same car except for the satellite radio and ipod / usb dock. In the 3 years that I had my first one, no problems at all.

First, 2 weeks ago I opened the passenger side door to get something, with the car off, and this god awful noise started coming from the speakers, front & back. It was a Sunday and I was going to a funder 1 hour away and then had drive home 3 hours back. I tried the 'sos' button but it was Sunday and they couldn't help at all. After trying everything, I just walked away and let the alarm blow. It went off on its own after about 25 minutes and I haven't heard it since.

Possibly related, this morning I got into the car and the radio was on but nothing came from any of the speakers regardless whether the radio, satellite or cd was on.

I do have an appointment to have this looked at on 1/5/11 but thought I would throw this out there to see if either of these issues ever happened to anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

There have been a few radio software updates made available to fix various quirks with the Radio. Chances are they'll fix it 1st shot.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
There have been a few radio software updates made available to fix various quirks with the Radio. Chances are they'll fix it 1st shot.
I have had all of the updates on my stereo and still sounds bad. Also its a pain in the ass to get the sound fixed in the car.... I just put up with it....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
Hyokeun87
mmm...
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.34]
My radio actually had a mind of its own at one point. It would refuse to play sometimes while I drove and then would start bumping music on its own after i turned off the car, locked the doors and began walking away. I took my car to bmw and they simply ran a software update and I've had no problems since.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP did you buy the car used? This was a past problem with 1er's. A simple software update rids the problem. I would record the sounds with a camera and then go to your local dealer and ask them to fix it. Chances are they will do a SW update. Your car might also have some "open" recalls too while your there.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I have had all of the updates on my stereo and still sounds bad. Also its a pain in the ass to get the sound fixed in the car.... I just put up with it....
Same here mine is bmw so called premium system but it sounds like shit inside and out.
Appreciate 0