BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2009, 03:54 AM   #45
fontana302
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E90 M3

09 Build. I buy a new BMW a year - they look after me, though you still have to work on the dealers to keep them honest. I paid a very substantial deposit to get that price. Anything better than 10% off is in the ball park - you did do well.

Took 4 hours to get the 125i to where I was happy - the salesman gave up & I ended up dealing directly with the sales manager - it was worth the effort. You have to be in the right frame of mind though..................

If you are buying an M car, savings aren't as good. Those ones are more about emotion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #46
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontana302 View Post
09 Build. I buy a new BMW a year - they look after me, though you still have to work on the dealers to keep them honest. I paid a very substantial deposit to get that price. Anything better than 10% off is in the ball park - you did do well.

Took 4 hours to get the 125i to where I was happy - the salesman gave up & I ended up dealing directly with the sales manager - it was worth the effort. You have to be in the right frame of mind though..................

If you are buying an M car, savings aren't as good. Those ones are more about emotion.
You're right - you do have to work on the dealer, and you do have to be in the right frame of mind.

This was the 4th car I've bought from them. I also tend to time the discussion at the end of their sales quarter.

It's difficult to know what the full retail OTR costs are, as rego and CTP vary so much, but I figure I got about $11K off RRP - so I was pretty happy. Even though it took multiple visits to the dealership, and about 3 hours on the day I committed. But I figure at $11K off, it's a pretty good hourly rate.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #47
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Good move on keeping it. Second hand market is downright insulting at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #48
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Yep, keeping it.

Put this in the yard yesterday, she's an old girl but in good condition. Few little bumps/marks here and there but overall, great! Just needs a major service and I'm set - rego till Nov

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #49
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

low to mid 70s is reasonable I think but the trick is in the genuine options because at the end of the day if your car is immaculate and has around 10k on the dial then a private buyer will look at it otherwise he knows that he will need to wait 3 months for a new one and obviously pay more. This is only if your car is unique with some factory changes such as my cf mirror, race stripes and the contrast red leather by looking at your car Kris, i would say that providing your not in a hurry to sell then you should get the price your after.

ps: if anyone in bris is interested in my car let me know I have a similar agenda to Kris
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #50
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

ok then disregard my last post I just noticed your keeping it :P
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #51
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Yeh same here Kris, got a bike to keep the kays down on the bm's.

Good call to keep it ATM, sounds like there are some seriously cheap cars going right now. However maybe more so in the larger capital cities where sales volumes have dropped, not here in Canberra though, they are still selling "normal" volumes so still holding their prices (no local competition helps perhaps).

The used car market is always a killer but more so when dealers are ripping new car pricing, like now. I know I would be throwing $40k if I was to put my M on the market now, after only having it for 12 months.

Here's my new commuter... scary out there though!

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #52
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Nice, that looks like the Suzuki version of my bike - but newer
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #53
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Kris, I thought you gave up riding cos you said it's too dangerous?

Alpine, how is the riding experience going? Surely Canberra is not such a bad place to ride with minimal traffic. These days I love using my "special" bike (haha) more than my cars. Maybe cos it's still warm. Still eyeing the Monster 1100 but can't get one for test ride locally. Will wait a bit, maybe even until end of the year as I won't be riding much between in the winter months anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #54
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
..............Alpine, how is the riding experience going? Surely Canberra is not such a bad place to ride with minimal traffic. These days I love using my "special" bike (haha) more than my cars. Maybe cos it's still warm. Still eyeing the Monster 1100 but can't get one for test ride locally. Will wait a bit, maybe even until end of the year as I won't be riding much between in the winter months anyway.
Having fun, starting to get a bit chilly here though!

"Special" bike, hahaha. that's like when I used to surf, a few years back, I used a knee board, got called a cripple, guess that is like owning a three wheeled bike, jokes.

Monster, nice and naked

I'm thinking this would be nice ..

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/S...range_1280.jpg

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/S...unset_1024.jpg

We shall see.

Anyway, good to see Kris is still a team 1 (alpine) member!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #55
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Alpine, those Suzukis are very nice looking in real life. The first time I saw one, I thought it was a new modern harley. Haven't ridden one so have no idea what it rides like. But given it's a cruiser, I'm guessing you are not planning to break any land speed or lap records on it anyway. As for the 3 wheeler, I got to experience the awesome braking power yesterday when I was going to accelerate through a yellow (yeah stupid I know) then realizing that there was a speed camera there. With double the grip at the front, the braking power is crazy. Very very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #56
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Alpine, those Suzukis are very nice looking in real life. The first time I saw one, I thought it was a new modern harley. Haven't ridden one so have no idea what it rides like. But given it's a cruiser, I'm guessing you are not planning to break any land speed or lap records on it anyway. As for the 3 wheeler, I got to experience the awesome braking power yesterday when I was going to accelerate through a yellow (yeah stupid I know) then realizing that there was a speed camera there. With double the grip at the front, the braking power is crazy. Very very impressive.
Braking on a bike is a real art IMO! A lot different to slamming the pedal on the M (C for you) with all the tricky driver aids, ABS/EBD/ESC and the like. It is just grab the fronts, step hard on the rears and hang on.....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #57
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Yes, it's very easy to snatch the brake on a bike especially if you are inexperienced. Just like driving a non-ABS race car. But the difference is, all that happens on a car is that you lock up the brake, but on a bike, you will either go over the handlebar if the tyre has a lot of grip or you slide and fall over on the side. Either way it isn't good.

In any case, you should not just slam on the brakes on your M/1. Despite what they teach you at those advance driving courses, the fastest stopping distance is actually not to activate ABS, but to brake to the cusp of ABS activation. But of course, in an emergency situation, most people will be much better off just mashing the pedal on an ABS car...
Appreciate 0