BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #45
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

Well,
What can I tell you. The experience is related to the sum of all the senses. Things that dont add up on paper. A 1993 RS America was a special car. A bit lighter than standard but totally different feel. 996tt, muscle but much more mass. 997 GT3RS very "exotic" in feel. Probably the alcantara and the sport exhaust, if anything. C63 Amg development, fantastic auto rev shift matching with the exhaust note and wide bolstered seats. 1997 turbo cab. so classic in looks and feel driving around town to dinner. Same with a 1966 vet. How about a 1994. E500 with the suspension designed by Porsche. Another great muscle car at the time.
Which brings us to the current debate. What you will think of the cars for the most part will depend on your individual experiences. I like to use something called the comfort+performance /price ratio. Comfort can be defined by things that matter to you like wind noise, Ride comfort, seat position and comfort, even involvement or uniqueness Performance handling (low or high speed or both), 0-100, fun, etc.
Good luck finding anything that comes close to the 1 series m!!!

Last edited by Robcut1; 10-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #46
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Almost forgot, the point is what makes you feel the best about yourself when you are driving it? Can you justify paying more for something else less practical (your own interpretation of what is actually practical in your unique set of circumstances at the time).
If you want to adjust a few items to personalize the M, do it. It's a very unique and special car which still can be enhanced without overdoing it. That's what I'm going to do. Mostly appearance, but performance easy enough if desired.

Last edited by Robcut1; 10-28-2011 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #47
davett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Huracan,'11 1M, '10 GT-R

Garage List
2010 Nissan GT-R  [8.40]
2008 M3  [0.00]
2009 Carrera 4S  [0.00]
2007 Porsche  [0.00]
over the past 10 years I've gone thru BoxsterS, C4S cabs/coupes, 997 Turbos and a GT3. The driving experience was different from car to car even thought they were all Porsches. I always appreciate the car for what it is, that's why I got it in the 1st place. I love my 1M but I don't compare it to other cars, it's great on it's own
I do miss my GT3 though

'15 Huracan,
'14 Q5 TDI
'14 R8, '11 1 Series M,'10 Nissan GT-R,'10 GT3 , '09 911 turbo , '08 M3 sold
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #48
johnr265
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'll chime in here. I previously owned a 996 GT3 and now own a 997 GT3 RS. The biggest difference to me is the throttle response of the RS vs the 1M. It is truly instantaneous at all RPMs and so the car feels lightning quick. The 1M, even in M mode, has a perceptible lag before the turbo kicks in, especially noticeable after each hard shift under acceleration. When the turbo does kick in, it is big time fun and great for the street. The M is much more comfortable as a street car and the controls are WAY lighter. The shifter snicks into position quickly and easily and the clutch is very light. I find myself driving faster in the M (esp with the M button on). Traction control when not in MDM or off is very intrusive in the M so I at least always have it in MDM.

I think I agree with most of the sentiments here. Stock for stock, the GT3 RS belongs on the track and if I didn't track it, I wouldn't appreciate it's capabilities as they cannot even remotely be safely explored on the streets. It is still fun to drive on the street (in fact, even sitting in the driveway, revving the engine with it's lightweight flywheel is a pure joy) yet I love the feel of the M on the street. It is more power than any sane person needs, it has tons of grip, and is really comfortable. My one complaint is a bit of a back and forth bounce in the suspension that the more tightly sprung porsche doesn't have but I think sometimes, that comes from the traction control kicking in in the corners. Bottom line, if you don't track the car, the 1M is a hoot to drive on the street and a quite lovable car. I think if I tracked it, I would feel compelled to modify it however.

All in all, the 1M is a brilliant package but it is not necessarily a substitute for a Porsche. The Porsche is more raw, more race car but the M is not a exactly a comfy GT car. It still has some nice bite to it. Being able to take the M more often (because it fits the kids and because I worry less about it) makes it more fun as well. I love both for different reasons but I think if I could only have one, the M probably makes more sense. Sorry for the misc. ramblings but I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #49
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997tt View Post
over the past 10 years I've gone thru BoxsterS, C4S cabs/coupes, 997 Turbos and a GT3. The driving experience was different from car to car even thought they were all Porsches. I always appreciate the car for what it is, that's why I got it in the 1st place. I love my 1M but I don't compare it to other cars, it's great on it's own
I do miss my GT3 though

WoW so nice, GT3 is a track beast
      10-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #50
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great very descriptive write up from johnR265.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #51
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanna1M View Post
Can you elaborate more on the different experience. I am selling my 993 C2 I've had for 13 years to get the 1M. It is not an easy decision, main reason is I need more room in back seats. I am hoping the 1M is special enough to not regret selling the Porsche.
Sorry for the delay and hope not too late, I had missed this post.

I think the 993 (whether in c2 or c4 guise) is a piece of automotive history. In many ways, the last "real" Porsche that was designed and made by engineers rather than accountants [disclaimer: GTx cars excluded!!!].

Despite the fact that the instruments seem to have been sneezed into place (ie. not at all like BMW's more ergonomic design), the car is simply fantastic to drive. Not quite as epic as a Ferrari, but it's understated looks make for a car that can be used every day.

I think in all honesty it's difficult to compare it with the more modern 1M which is more practical, faster, has better creature comforts, etc. as a friend of mine told me the other day, the 993 in many ways is no longer a sports car but a sports tourer. It isn't as sharp as the more recent 911s, the steering feel / turn-in is better in my 1M. Not that the 993 isa bad car, but it clearly is not going to compete with the advances in technology that make other cars like the 1M, etc so good.

That said, IMHO, there is something about the overall package of the 993 that means you forgive all the fuzziness because it is still enjoyable to drive/own/admire.

Maybe the best way to answer your question is as follows: yes, I think you will regret selling the 993, regardless of what you replace it with. Is the 1M a fantastic car that is a worthy replacement ? You bet it is.
Appreciate 0