E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Never broken in!

03-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #23
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
I've actually read most of the threads you are referring to. I still haven't seen anyone that knows what they are talking about provide any real reason for needing the breakin procedure. Why don't you keep quiet if you don't have anything useful to say.
There are billion threads regarding this issue, and some with DETAILED information articles I've posted.

Why don't you learn how to search before you tell someone to be quiet? Its your newbie mouth asking for help that has been covered billion times. You drive a "450whp mustang" and don't even know about what break-in actually does.

Jesus christ, what is up with these morons who doesn't even know how to search correctly.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #24
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
I've actually read most of the threads you are referring to. I still haven't seen anyone that knows what they are talking about provide any real reason for needing the breakin procedure. Why don't you keep quiet if you don't have anything useful to say.
but just curious, which do you drive more, the mustang or the 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #25
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
There are billion threads regarding this issue, and some with DETAILED information articles I've posted.

Why don't you learn how to search before you tell someone to be quiet? Its your newbie mouth asking for help that has been covered billion times. You drive a "450whp mustang" and don't even know about what break-in actually does.

Jesus christ, what is up with these morons who doesn't even know how to search correctly.
First off, I wasn't asking for help. My original question was rhetorical because I have read so damn many of these threads discussing break-in procedures that I am tired of it. I didn't search because I don't care about break-in procedures. I have read a ton about it on here and on many, many other car forums and websites. I might have only joined here in February, but that is just because I didn't have a BMW until February. I have been participating in car discussion forums for the past five years, so I am no newbie.

There was no reason for you to resort to name calling (i.e. moron). That is completely inappropriate for a discussion forum. I won't stoop to your level and return the favor.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #26
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
but just curious, which do you drive more, the mustang or the 3-series.
I actually haven't driven the Mustang at all since I got the BMW because it is in the shop. They are adjusting the fuel system to get rid of some driveability issues I was having. I would guess that once I get it back I will probably drive the Mustang about 20% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #27
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I won't stoop to your level and return the favor.
Right. Same here. I won't try to stay around your level who doesn't even know what proper break-in really does. Good luck with your mustang. Hopefully they "adjust your fuel system" right.

Anyways, back to topic, there are plenty of people driving fine without proper break-in procedure followed. It is more of a precaution measure than requirements. So do whatever you feel like.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #28
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Right. Same here. I won't try to stay around your level who doesn't even know what proper break-in really does. Good luck with your mustang. Hopefully they "adjust your fuel system" right.

Anyways, back to topic, there are plenty of people driving fine without proper break-in procedure followed. It is more of a precaution measure than requirements. So do whatever you feel like.
You know what, I changed my mind. You, my friend, are a real asshole.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #29
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
At least you called me a friend.

shut up sdorn, this is car forum. stop taking things so seriously.
If you need help on finding out what broken-in procedure really does to your engine, Im willing to help. that is, if you really couldn't find the information you needed in this forum by searching. Because when I searched, I got all the info you requested.

Anyways, PM me if you want to talk about something with me.
Otherwise, lets stop high-jacking this thread. Agreed?

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #30
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
At least you called me a friend.

shut up sdorn, this is car forum. stop taking things so seriously.
If you need help on finding out what broken-in procedure really does to your engine, Im willing to help. that is, if you really couldn't find the information you needed in this forum by searching. Because when I searched, I got all the info you requested.
Sorry for tainting your thread but...I have to...

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 12:02 AM   #31
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

Quote:
Luxman the guy just asked a simple question. Why the insane agression? I havent seen a post by a real engineer either. I saw the reports from the guy who got his oil checked but no insight from an engineer. The search function sometimes misses stuff or returns a million hits so it is easier to ask.

Chill dude. This kind of attitude will keep people from posting anything. Then you will be all alone. peace
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 12:57 AM   #32
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Seriously, don't worry about. The bmw manual also recommends changing your oil every 15,000 miles.
I did the same thing with my 330i with 200 miles on it(expect for that whole 155 limiter part) and now it has almost 1000 miles on it and it runs smoother, more responsive(almost like it's learned that i have a lead foot) and just overall feels better than the day i drove it off the lot. I did the same with my previous car and 65,000 miles and absolutely no problems. One thing i do recommend though, since I drive my car pretty rough as you seem to also, I change the oil every 5,000 and engine air filter every 10,000 miles with no exceptions. just do that and have fun with it cause thats what this engine is made for
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #33
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:

He's really not an asshole...

Maybe its just the PMS kicking in?

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:01 AM   #34
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
It only takes one bad apple to spoil the batch. It could be that engine manufacturing tolerances are 99.9% accurate. But do you really want to be that 1 out of a 1000 that blows his engine at 5,000 miles? Or maybe at 50,001?

I enjoyed my 1200 miles with the car, and progressively gave it more load and revved it to a higher RPM as I approached the 1200 mark.

Patience is a virtue...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #35
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Sorry for tainting your thread but...I have to...

listen to whatever poldim and shimshimhada say. these guys know me more than my mother.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #36
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo
This kind of attitude will keep people from posting anything.
[a$$hole]

Well, your kind of attitude will make this forum useless.
Same question asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered.....

Good bye E90POST.
You guys are lucky there are no other mods and jason/mark are so damn nice.
Because in other forums, you'll get banned for not searching if the question has been answered before.
Being in forum culture long enough, you'll easily find answers through the search function regarding such common topics.

So when someone tell you to search, do a friggin search. Chances are, you'll find your answer. If you can't even search correctly, you obviously haven't got your high school diploma yet, didn't go through enough projects. In this case, please tell us.

[/a$$hole]

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:40 AM   #37
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

Since you love the rules, maybe you should re-read them.

From the community rules: "2) Search. These forums tend to accumulate knowledge, and so when you have a question do a simple search first. Alot of times, the best answers will be found in old threads that have gone over the topic in detail. If you can't find your answer or are still unclear, then by all means don't be afraid and post your question."

"3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting."
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #38
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

When you've been a member for so long, you start to notice stuff like this comes in waves....

I'll tell you, three topics that make me go crazy:
- Break in period
- Is Comfort Access worth it?
- Valet Key

Ask a question about any of these topics and just watch as the seasoned members flame away...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #39
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabutes
When you've been a member for so long, you start to notice stuff like this comes in waves....

I'll tell you, three topics that make me go crazy:
- Break in period
- Is Comfort Access worth it?
- Valet Key

Ask a question about any of these topics and just watch as the seasoned members flame away...
You forgot some all-time favourites:
leather vs. leatherette,
manual vs. auto,
regular vs. premium,
RWD vs. AWD.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #40
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
I went to the rev limiter on my E90 within the first 10 miles after the purchase (the car had 5 miles on the odo when I picked it up).

I warm her up and then give her a good beating. Itīs the best way to get full performance (a good seal on the piston rings) from the engine and no, it doesnīt increase wear or oil consumption.

I also break in the brakes with a specially procedure immediately. 10 successive hard brakings from 65mph to 5 mph without ever coming to a full stop.

So I pick up the car, warm her up and within 25 miles I have her covered in break dust and steaming and smelling from brakes and oil and exhaust. And yet Iīm confident I could keep the car for 200.000mls with no (engine or brakes) trouble.

Feel better now?
I do the exact same!

The real problem is that most people don't wait to warm up the engine before they get on it. This is what causes problems. Once the engine is properly warmed (usually takes around 5 miles of solid driving), go for it! They do it at the factory anyway (each engine has to be dyno tested throughout the full rev range to ensure that it is meeting the manufacturer specified tolerances: -1% to +10%), and it's best to continue doing it as soon as possible to really set the rings nicely. With modern parts crafted with robotic precision, waiting for parts to "set" is a waste of time.

The M52 in my E46 is running stronger today (66,000 miles) than it did the day I picked it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 02:30 AM   #41
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

People, people can't we all just get along?

Whenever I see a new thread that has been covered many many times to the point where it's annoying and i dont care, I just tend to ignore it and move on.

If the thread has been covered many many times but i have a recent relevent comment I'll post it. No big deal. Sometimes you get new and helpful opinions/comments that were not posted in the original thread.

anyway im getting a drink.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #42
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

I have peace of mind knowing that I followed break-in procedures. I guess it's just better to be safe than sorry. A thousand miles really isn't that long
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #43
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
[a$$hole]

Well, your kind of attitude will make this forum useless.
Same question asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered.....

Good bye E90POST.
You guys are lucky there are no other mods and jason/mark are so damn nice.
Because in other forums, you'll get banned for not searching if the question has been answered before.
Being in forum culture long enough, you'll easily find answers through the search function regarding such common topics.

So when someone tell you to search, do a friggin search. Chances are, you'll find your answer. If you can't even search correctly, you obviously haven't got your high school diploma yet, didn't go through enough projects. In this case, please tell us.

[/a$$hole]

I have a question for you and whoever else: If there was a true caution for breaking the engine in, why is it at EVERY BMW dealership when they allow you to test drive the car they always tell you to not be so gentle and push the car hard, so you can see how it really drives. I aint never heard a dealer say, "yeah its a BMW, but be easy, it has under 1,500miles on it. I think BMWs sole purpose for saying dont redline until 1500 miles is strictly for insurance purposes, just as the sticker under the hood saying you will void your warranty if certain modifications are done. If I am wrong in thinking this please educate me on my ignorance. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #44
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

that's why I would never buy a car that's been sitting on the lot and has been test driven. I know how I test-drove some cars...

as for my car it has 400 miles on it and I've yet to go over 100mph or 4500rpm. still haven't really seen what she can do.
Appreciate 0