BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
Bicho
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 1M, 130i, 135i & M3

Do you really find the paint protection useful?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
...Looked at the price and figured I'll never make that kind of money back when coming to sell...
IMHO, it's fairly obvious you'll never get anything back upon resale.

However, the car's paintwork will be protected from the elements as well as tree sap, bird sh!t, etc.

To echo some of the comments above, I'd much rather buy a car that has been v/shielded from new than a car which has been repainted. Just a personal view.

I think utimately it's more relevant to people who are likely to keep their car's for a few years rather then flip out of them in less than 2. That's the way I look at it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
IMHO, it's fairly obvious you'll never get anything back upon resale.

However, the car's paintwork will be protected from the elements as well as tree sap, bird sh!t, etc.

To echo some of the comments above, I'd much rather buy a car that has been v/shielded from new than a car which has been repainted. Just a personal view.

I think utimately it's more relevant to people who are likely to keep their car's for a few years rather then flip out of them in less than 2. That's the way I look at it anyway.
Full protection though is something like £3k from Paintshield right? Still a lot vs the value of the car. Appreciate it be nice not to worry bout bird crap etc on the car, would be great, but for the money it just think it'd be easier if more messy to get any probs rectified.

Also with the number of 1M's being produced I can't imagine a potential used buyer walking away if it wasn't/hadn't been protected.

Having said that can you tell at all that your car is wrapped Scaramanga? It really was the cost and my predicted low mileage that put me off. The idea of getting it wrapped is otherwise appealing since all new car paint is water based rubbish...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #26
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Full protection though is something like £3k from Paintshield right? Still a lot vs the value of the car. Appreciate it be nice not to worry bout bird crap etc on the car, would be great, but for the money it just think it'd be easier if more messy to get any probs rectified.

Also with the number of 1M's being produced I can't imagine a potential used buyer walking away if it wasn't/hadn't been protected.

Having said that can you tell at all that your car is wrapped Scaramanga? It really was the cost and my predicted low mileage that put me off. The idea of getting it wrapped is otherwise appealing since all new car paint is water based rubbish...
Sorry for the delay, had missed your post. Fully agree with yu, the film is not absolutely necessary. However, if I were looking for a car, I'd prefer one that has been protected to one that has been (re)painted as I'd never know whether the paint was due to damage repair or just a cosmetic refresh.

You can't really tell that my car has been wrapped. On a dark colour car (like my BSM!) you need to clean any residual wax from the film edges (to avoid White lines showing) but that's an easy fix and not at all problematic.

I have another blue car at home which has also been wrapped. Was out for an early morning drive last week with some other petrol heads and they all commented that you couldn't tell the film was on the car. Great thing about the 1M is that it's size allows the film to be installed without any obvious joins on the bonnet/bumper/etc.

Jezzer on here has seen my car and can given you an independent view (Jezeer ps feel free to post an honest opinion on here, good or bad!).

Would also add that I would never spend £3k on a wrap (but then I didn't go for a full wrap - near enough but not full!).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #27
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Sorry to report back after such a long time.

The car us fully protected With v/shield - full bonnet, wings, bumper, lights and mirrors. Great job and very happy with the finish. I used paintgard in Portsmouth.

If anybody wants details, just PM me.

Last edited by Hotrod99; 10-27-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

I just had XPEL self healing paint protection installed today, it looks great, hardly visible at all.
      10-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #29
Acidblast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1 Series M Coupé

ESC OFF where did you get it installed in Chicago and how much? i'm looking to get mine done.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #30
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I just had XPEL self healing paint protection installed today, it looks great, hardly visible at all.
Welcome to the club...great film isn't it?
Appreciate 0