BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 1M 2012 AW

Extra set of stock wheels for $2,000?

There is a shop that is offering me a brand new set (4) of the stock 19s at $2,000

It seems a client bought an aftermarket set and left the stock ones with them...

I am wondering if I should consider buying them.

I live in Mexico city and the roads are terrible... many potholes and just bad quality. Even the highways arent very good.

Do the stock wheels get damaged easily on bad roads after some miles?

What should I do?

The people in this forum seem to know a lot so any advice is apreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

If that price is in USD and includes tyres, then i'd say that's a pretty good deal!

Stock wheels are made quite strong from factory so they can take a fair bit of abuse. Matching them with RFT's could help as my sister found she could drive into any sort of pothole and the RFT's would simply absorb most of the impact due to its thicker sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
If that price is in USD and includes tyres, then i'd say that's a pretty good deal!

Stock wheels are made quite strong from factory so they can take a fair bit of abuse. Matching them with RFT's could help as my sister found she could drive into any sort of pothole and the RFT's would simply absorb most of the impact due to its thicker sidewall.
The price is in USD and it doesnt include tires. They do have the tire but I didnt ask them about the price with tire. I will ask them tomorrow.

Still a good deal without tires?

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post

I would think RFT would do just the opposite. Because RFTs are so much stiffer than a regular tire, the tire will transfer nearly all of the impact's energy to the wheel, suspension, chassis, etc. The softer the tire the more dampening and cushioning it will provide.
      05-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I would think RFT would do just the opposite. Because RFTs are so much stiffer than a regular tire, the tire will transfer nearly all of the impact's energy to the wheel, suspension, chassis, etc. The softer the tire the more dampening and cushioning it will provide.
While I agree with you, we're talking about 10-15cm deep potholes, hence a softer tire will no doubt tear after a short stint of abuse... since the RFT's are so hard they'll survive it better and have a higher chance of keeping the wheels true and unbuckled... that's my 2c from experience.

We need some research on this! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post
The price is in USD and it doesnt include tires. They do have the tire but I didnt ask them about the price with tire. I will ask them tomorrow.

Still a good deal without tires?

Thanks for the info
I'm not sure on the market on these wheels alone, so hopefully someone can give you some info. Although as just an FYI, a set was recently advertised in Australia for ~3k without tyres (I don't know how much they sold for unfortunately).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
I would say yes, the wheel are worth more, and if they are perfect I would. You can use them as spares, powder coat them a different color if your choose and use them. Those wheel will always be worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
I would say yes, the wheel are worth more, and if they are perfect I would. You can use them as spares, powder coat them a different color if your choose and use them. Those wheel will always be worth the money.
Thanks for the advice.

I might just use them as a set for track days only...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

I would go for it! And then come down to peru and sell them....you'll make a shit load of money.
Those rat bastards at Inchape Peru (the only authorizd BMW dealer in Peru) gave me a quote for a set of the stock 19 inch Style 359 wheels and wanted to charge me $10 grand for them!! You read it right...$10 thousand bucks for 4 stock wheels sold by BMW in Peru....I'm so frustrated by that, they are freaking thieves!!!!
I also had them quote a set of tires and they wanted to charge me $5000 for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.....they should arrest them!!!
It's just wrong.
      05-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
I would go for it! And then come down to peru and sell them....you'll make a shit load of money.
Those rat bastards at Inchape Peru (the only authorizd BMW dealer in Peru) gave me a quote for a set of the stock 19 inch Style 359 wheels and wanted to charge me $10 grand for them!! You read it right...$10 thousand bucks for 4 stock wheels sold by BMW in Peru....I'm so frustrated by that, they are freaking thieves!!!!
I also had them quote a set of tires and they wanted to charge me $5000 for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.....they should arrest them!!!
It's just wrong.

I know what you mean! The dealers here in Mexico arent exactly fair when it comes to prices in parts...
I wanted to buy a M license plate and it cost $80 when in the US I bought it for $40. Thats just one example...
But it sounds that Peru might be worse than Mexico since you only have one dealer...
that sucks!!!

I could buy them for you here and ship them to you if you are interested. they have the tires too but that is extra cost. not sure how much.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have lived in Mexico City and Tijuana and have spent a lot of time in Jalisco too. Now in live in Southern California and roads are almost as bad. I think that price is too high for just the wheels first of all. I have and an almost new set mounted with Michelin Sport Cups (track tires) and TPMS that I would sell for about that much. I bought them with 3 miles and have only autocrossed on them once. They Michelin Sport Cups are in the correct sizes, 245/35/19 front and 265/35/19 Rear. I also have one spare for the front and one for the back.

They are perfect except for one nick that was put on during mounting the tires. Here are some pictures including the only nick.

http://alpineaerosquadron.com/1M/zcp/

With that said, I really think you should consider a set of 18" wheels instead. Tires are easier to find and much better for the rough roads. Availability is important in Mexico and you will love the ride without losing any performance as long as you get good tires like the Super Sports.
There are some very nice 18 wheels out there but the 18" M3 wheels are probably the best bet for strenght too.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I have lived in Mexico City and Tijuana and have spent a lot of time in Jalisco too. Now in live in Southern California and roads are almost as bad. I think that price is too high for just the wheels first of all. I have and an almost new set mounted with Michelin Sport Cups (track tires) and TPMS that I would sell for about that much. I bought them with 3 miles and have only autocrossed on them once. They Michelin Sport Cups are in the correct sizes, 245/35/19 front and 265/35/19 Rear. I also have one spare for the front and one for the back.

They are perfect except for one nick that was put on during mounting the tires. Here are some pictures including the only nick.

http://alpineaerosquadron.com/1M/zcp/

With that said, I really think you should consider a set of 18" wheels instead. Tires are easier to find and much better for the rough roads. Availability is important in Mexico and you will love the ride without losing any performance as long as you get good tires like the Super Sports.
There are some very nice 18 wheels out there but the 18" M3 wheels are probably the best bet for strenght too.

Hope that helps.
I just asked today at the dealer and I would just be saving around $300 from the dealer price. So its not really worth it. I would only buy them if they were at a very very good price. wich they arent. I might just offer them 1,000 for all and see.. cause those wheels should be hard to sell here.

I have tought of the option of the 18s and Im sure the ride will improve a lot. But I dont like the look with 18s. It looks so much better with 19s IMO.

Wich 18s for M3 are you refering too? Cause I looked it up and saw many diferent ones.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I like the Style 219 Gunmetal color. They also come in silver but the 2008-2010 gunmetal color is better.

Here is a picture of a 1M with them. The picture is not very good, they look better in person. Same performance, better ride, more tire selection.

here is the thread where I got the pictures:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576624

Yes, 19s look better for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I like the Style 219 Gunmetal color. They also come in silver but the 2008-2010 gunmetal color is better.

Here is a picture of a 1M with them. The picture is not very good, they look better in person. Same performance, better ride, more tire selection.

here is the thread where I got the pictures:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576624

Yes, 19s look better for sure.

thanks a lot for the pics and the link!! it makes so much diference when you can actually see it...

Its definitly a good option and I will look into it.

I love the 19s tough
Appreciate 0