BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
C4747Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & M5 Competition

Thanks for all the replies guys. It's def not power steering since it doesn't happen when the wheel is fully locked. I think its a rear diff noise, that would make sense. I thought they put the right fluid in when they serviced the car, I guess I will bring it back to them to make sure its nothing that needs to be addressed asap. I was hoping not to bring it in since I love driving the car and whatever loaner I get is gonna suck compared to the 1M lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
shavivs
Rep
Drives: 1m

I can give you another option - the front bumper is very gentel . if you hit somthing
like a Sidewalk the inside plastic wing will touch the front wheel when you turn.
turn the wheel right not all the way and go to look if it touch the plastic wing .
then do it to the other side .
sorry for the bad english but i hope you understand me .
and for all the guys here that have the strange noise like you have a rock inside
the tyers - it make me crazy so i went to bmw garage and they sad that the noise
is from the rear diff.

Last edited by shavivs; 03-04-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
C4747Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

its definitely not the bumper rubbing. I haven't hit anything with the bumper, I am uber cautious. Thanks for the info tho!

Just a question, since this noise happens a lot, if they used the wrong fluid during my break-in service would that cause permanent damage to the rear diff?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
C4747Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So it turns out the dealer forgot to put an additive in the fluid. They claim that the bulletin that was out when I had my car serviced the first time stated that there was no additive necessary. A later bulletin stated that it needs an additive. However the noise didn't completely go away. I may have to bring it in again in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #27
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

How'd you go?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
lazyd0c
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G06/ '17 f87 6MT

has anyone figured out a fix for this? I'm also getting these noises when I'm turning left or right at <10mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
Sparks1M
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I am also having a bad grinding noise that I think is from the diff. I've taken it to the local BMW and, well, they don't know the difference between an M1 and a sleeping dog. I have had the diff oil changed but yet to get confirmation on the oil used.

The noise happens almost exclusively turning right on close to full lock when the car is cold. It also happened last week after a long drive in the rain which has really got me scratching my head.

Help! Warranty expires next month.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1M View Post
I am also having a bad grinding noise that I think is from the diff. I've taken it to the local BMW and, well, they don't know the difference between an M1 and a sleeping dog. I have had the diff oil changed but yet to get confirmation on the oil used.

The noise happens almost exclusively turning right on close to full lock when the car is cold. It also happened last week after a long drive in the rain which has really got me scratching my head.

Take it to Baustech in La Reina, talk to Alex(ander) Baus and tell him hi from Oz Forget about the dealer (WBM) already, that place is like the Sauron Tower where Orcs perform their fine arts; they may do some additional damage to your car while you try to enjoy your "warranty".

Buying the correct differential oil and changing it somewhere else other than the dealer while you are present may ultimately solve your problem. Or it is simply lack of a diferential break-in (did you?) and/or normal grinding noise.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1M View Post

Take it to Baustech in La Reina, talk to Alex(ander) Baus and tell him hi from Oz Forget about the dealer (WBM) already, that place is like the Sauron Tower where Orcs perform their fine arts; they may do some additional damage to your car while you try to enjoy your "warranty".

Buying the correct differential oil and changing it somewhere else other than the dealer while you are present may ultimately solve your problem. Or it is simply lack of a diferential break-in (did you?) and/or normal grinding noise.
grinding possibly due to wrong diff fluid replacement.

Our 1M diffs will grind at low speed full lock turns IF the diff fluid replacement does not have friction modifier

Apparently, FM prevents this. But not required

I'm on my phone and can't provide link (and I'm using new 3.0)!!

Search PyratOne, differential for a post I started over a year ago

Bottom line, no worries

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
grinding possibly due to wrong diff fluid replacement.

Our 1M diffs will grind at low speed full lock turns IF the diff fluid replacement does not have friction modifier

Apparently, FM prevents this. But not required

I'm on my phone and can't provide link (and I'm using new 3.0)!!

Search PyratOne, differential for a post I started over a year ago

Bottom line, no worries
Pyrat! I doubt that BMW Chile has the diff fluid with the friction modifier, they probably still use the old/regular one without FM. I asked this when I had the first service at the same place (that, which one they used) and the SA replied "the one without, we don't have the other fluid". Do I trust this answer? No, not necessarily, but as you know once you put the FM fluid you NEED TO continue putting it and not the regular one anymore. So, he better make sure that he can provide FM fluid before changing to that or just ignores the grinding, even the driver's manual says it is just normal.

I never had the grinding by the way but maybe I will later.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #33
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Agreed on all points, Oz.

As I recall, once you start FM you shouldn't stop

Having written that, seems unfortunate you can't find diff fluid +FM in all of Chile. It's not unique to our 1M...

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #34
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Same issue here , dealer said brakes were sticking , clearly not , have tried explaining its the diff making the noise but they insist its the brakes so have escalated to the service manager
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #35
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine does it too. hot or cold and only on slow tight right hand turns. Not overly bothered as it is the diff in 'closed' mode I suspect. My M3 CSL did the same. Nowt anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #36
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Just had car in , they said it was diff making noise and added some additive and also replaced corroded center caps under warranty , result
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #37
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I'll awaken an old thread.

I noticed over the past 2-3 months that my car is now doing this. I have a subtle grinding noise (but no shudder or vibration) when turning left at low speeds such as getting into or out of a parking spot. Right turns are still as silent ever. Left turn does it whether moving forward or reverse.

I have not noticed any change in performance. I know that the proper fluid with the friction modifier was used for the run-in service as they showed me the bottles. I am at 18k miles. I have done plenty of hard driving (autocross, fun back roads) but I am not abusive to the car. I only did a burnout once

Is anyone else having this noise? I am trying not to worry about it . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Update:
After reading this whole thread, I went and inspected my car more closely. I believe it is my right front tire rubbing on the fender liner. What is strange (and the reason I didn't suspect it) is that I replaced my tires with RE11's in stock size 3000 miles ago and was worried about rubbing. I did a lot of low speed turns and didn't hear a thing when the tires were new. I turned the tires to full lock both ways and saw no contact. Now, 3000 miles later one of them rubs. Perhaps I should have my alignment checked. Maybe the fender liner is just sagging from material fatigue?

Now that I am paying closer attention, I have noticed that the sound starts about 3/4 of the way to full lock, and then goes away by the time I get to full lock. At full lock, the corner of the tire has moved beyond the point of contact.

Moral of story: Check fender liner clearance if you hear any rubbing or grinding sounds on this car!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #39
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Pyrat! I doubt that BMW Chile has the diff fluid with the friction modifier, they probably still use the old/regular one without FM. I asked this when I had the first service at the same place (that, which one they used) and the SA replied "the one without, we don't have the other fluid". Do I trust this answer? No, not necessarily, but as you know once you put the FM fluid you NEED TO continue putting it and not the regular one anymore. So, he better make sure that he can provide FM fluid before changing to that or just ignores the grinding, even the driver's manual says it is just normal.

I never had the grinding by the way but maybe I will later.
OZ I can confirm you that WBM ONLY has the diff fluid with Friction Modifier, the one without Friction Modifier doesn't even appear on the list of things they "can" bring if you give them that part number, on the other side they do have created the one with FM on the product list they use, and they are using that one on all M3 and 1M.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
OZ I can confirm you that WBM ONLY has the diff fluid with Friction Modifier, the one without Friction Modifier doesn't even appear on the list of things they "can" bring if you give them that part number, on the other side they do have created the one with FM on the product list they use, and they are using that one on all M3 and 1M.
Thanks for the warning. Yet another proof that service advisor there didn't know what he was talking about...practically on anything. Since he insisted that they couldn't be putting the wrong engine oil in the car untill I showed him the part number in their own document, I can't say I am surprised on this one as well.

Just in case, I will try to put the one with FM in the future and stick with that to avoid any problems; of course if I will keep the car that long.
Appreciate 0