BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #2179
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I swear! Nothing else I would ever think of doing to it. Blacklines will complete my masterpiece! Like Frankenstein, only slightly prettier. Bride of Frankenstein? Was she pretty? I'll have to google it. Guess it should be the Bride of Young Frankenstein since my car is still young (8 months and 4 days) and in her prime!

Officially lost my mind over here...
Same boat as you, once I install Dinan camber plates next spring I'm officially DONE.
      01-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #2180
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Are black lines plug and play? Where do you get them? I'd get them before the rotors. I think I can resist the rotors.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #2181
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Same boat as you, once I install Dinan camber plates next spring I'm officially DONE.
I'm curious, what are your thoughts are on the blacklines now that you've had them for awhile? They definitely seem to have a dramatic effect on the looks, but sometimes I worry they might potentially be a hair too "ricey" if that makes sense. I have to think of them more as just more outline and better defined tail lights as opposed to tinted ones. I've never seen them in person though, so it's hard to judge. I also don't understand why they aren't DOT legal.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #2182
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm curious, what are your thoughts are on the blacklines now that you've had them for awhile? They definitely seem to have a dramatic effect on the looks, but sometimes I worry they might potentially be a hair too "ricey" if that makes sense. I have to think of them more as just more outline and better defined tail lights as opposed to tinted ones. I've never seen them in person though, so it's hard to judge. I also don't understand why they aren't DOT legal.
Not at all, it doesn't have the ghetto look of spray tint where the entire tails are dark, it's more of an accented look. It's very clean and transforms the back end. Plus it's a nice contrast to the bright LED's from the rear plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Are black lines plug and play? Where do you get them? I'd get them before the rotors. I think I can resist the rotors.
Schiedmann or whatever that site is. Approx $400 shipped USD, amazingly fast shipping. Yes they are PnP.
      01-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #2183
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Whoa, crazy. 4 blackline posts crossing in cyberspace. Most people get them from schmiedmann, though ECS sells them as well for about $100 more. I highly recommend you get them, so I can see them on space gray before I decide. =)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #2184
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

WOW, have we really hit 100 pages on this awesome, must-read thread already??!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #2185
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
WOW, have we really hit 100 pages on this awesome, must-read thread already??!!
I think it was at like 17 or 19 pages, somewhere around there when I started looking/researching the IS back in late January/early February.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #2186
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Not at all, it doesn't have the ghetto look of spray tint where the entire tails are dark, it's more of an accented look. It's very clean and transforms the back end. Plus it's a nice contrast to the bright LED's from the rear plate.
Thanks, that's reassuring. These were the two most telling comparison photos to see the stock LCIs vs blacklines in case others are curious:

Side-by-side (blacklines on right):

Blacklines installed on left, stock ones on right:

After seeing pictures of them installed, to see normal LCI tail lights then seems to just look like a sea of red.

And darn it...thanks to Marc for informing me schmiedmann has them on sale until January 17 for 10% off! Must...resist...urge...

Last edited by gregthegr8; 01-07-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #2187
UpperLeftBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is #183

Last 135is

Hey guys

Just doing a little vehicle browsing out of boredom and came across an AW 135is at BMW Northwest. Checked the VIN and it just so happens to be the very LAST IS off the production line. Thought this was pretty cool. Anybody out there still looking for an IS this would be an awesome car, and it's a 6spd!

http://www.bmwnorthwest.com/VehicleD...-WA/2127292753
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #2188
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperLeftBMW View Post
Hey guys

Just doing a little vehicle browsing out of boredom and came across an AW 135is at BMW Northwest. Checked the VIN and it just so happens to be the very LAST IS off the production line. Thought this was pretty cool. Anybody out there still looking for an IS this would be an awesome car, and it's a 6spd!

Wanna split it? The last few ones around here in LA have all been scooped up it seems in recent weeks, including the only cashmere silver in existence! (I suspect OrangeTea may have gotten that car)

I'd like to at least drive one in a six speed one day. Wonder how different it feels.

Hahaha, I just clicked the link to look at the pictures of that poor last 135is and it looks so sad the way they shot the pictures from so far away. What were they thinking? Aww. It's just begging....please, someone buy me? I'm waiting for that sarah mclachlan song to start up like in the ASPCA commercials.

Ooh, but it does have the PPK badge "installed" on it! That increases the value by like $30-35 already right there. Owen2001 can use that as inspiration to finally stick his on.

Caption - 135is Misbehaving and Put in Timeout
Attached Images

Last edited by gregthegr8; 01-07-2014 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #2189
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After seeing pictures of them installed, to see normal LCI tail lights then seems to just look like a sea of red.

And darn it...thanks to Marc for informing me schmiedmann has them on sale until January 17 for 10% off! Must...resist...urge...
Thanks for posting; those actually look better than I thought (have never actually seen them in person). They look especially good on AW

Then again, thanks for nothing greg -- there you go trying to spend my money again!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #2190
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys

NICE FIND! A 6 speed even...and no NAV pkg too! Would be a nice one to scoop up. Gee, I think I may need a matching pair

EDIT: notice it has the darker blue trim floormats too (in the trunk pic). Too bad they didn't stick with the brighter blue trim of the early models.

Last edited by Kouper; 01-08-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #2191
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting; those actually look better than I thought (have never actually seen them in person). They look especially good on AW

Then again, thanks for nothing greg -- there you go trying to spend my money again!
I've got pics in reserve of them installed on almost every color actually except mineral grey.

These two are for Worra:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gryffin...3010/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gryffin...2272/lightbox/

I've always had a talent though for spending other people's money, or so my parents and trustee always told me. The total I've got you to spend so far though, if my math is correct is only at like $44 right? $30 for the sport antenna and $14 for the fancy valve stem caps? Oh wait! Forgot the tire pressure gauge - $19.59, let's just call it $20. So, $64 total? I'm predicting you'll finally spring for the michelin pilot super sports in March though!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #2192
Mike135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2013 135is

My 2013 135is

My 2013 135is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #2193
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've always had a talent though for spending other people's money, or so my parents and trustee always told me. The total I've got you to spend so far though, if my math is correct is only at like $44 right? $30 for the sport antenna and $14 for the fancy valve stem caps? Oh wait! Forgot the tire pressure gauge - $19.59, let's just call it $20. So, $64 total? I'm predicting you'll finally spring for the michelin pilot super sports in March though!
I know there was an answer to the $64 question in there somewhere!

Actually, if you recall, I think I got YOU to buy the Michelin Pilot Super Sports first and decided to break in my RFs for a bit... So maybe we're even.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #2194
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I know there was an answer to the $64 question in there somewhere!

Actually, if you recall, I think I got YOU to buy the Michelin Pilot Super Sports first and decided to break in my RFs for a bit... So maybe we're even.
Alas, I was intent on getting them as soon as I ordered the car, especially after having the runflats on my previous 135 and realizing in hindsight that they were likely the root cause and culprit of the few faults I found with the car. You definitely did encourage it though so I could be your guinea pig and help you decide. =P Best move I ever made! Some of my other guinea pig purchases you also encouraged...not so much. O=| I do absolutely love me that tire pressure gauge and fancy valve stem caps though.

Shutting up for the rest of the night...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #2195
Mike135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2013 135is

My 2013 135is

My 2013 135is have an afe air intake on it and an ar designs downpipe just blacked out roof tonight and getting eibach pro kit lowering springs done tmrw morning!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #2196
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
I've got pics in reserve of them installed on almost every color actually except mineral grey.

These two are for Worra:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gryffin...3010/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gryffin...2272/lightbox/
What am I looking at here? The blackline taillights? I think I'm more interested in the BMW Performance side skirts first. Can't wait to get my spoiler and put it on. Does anyone know if there is any kind of market for our little nubby OEM spoiler? Do those come on the 128i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike135is View Post
My 2013 135is
Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #2197
UpperLeftBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aww. It's just begging....please, someone buy me? I'm waiting for that sarah mclachlan song to start up like in the ASPCA commercials.
Those commercials... I'm pretty sure they would cause somebody to buy the poor fella on the spot! Really liking your caption, gave me a good laugh. Apparently it's been at the dealer a few months. There doesn't seem to be the largest market for the IS up here in Washington. Mine sat at BMW of Bellevue for over a year before I got to it! Needless to say that ended up working to my benefit with pricing... However, it's sad that people are uninterested in such fantastic drivers cars. Every sales associate I have spoken to has raved about the driving dynamics when compared to the e92 and F32. I guess it's just our little secret over here at 1addicts
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #2198
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Those commercials... I'm pretty sure they would cause somebody to buy the poor fella on the spot! Really liking your caption, gave me a good laugh. Apparently it's been at the dealer a few months. There doesn't seem to be the largest market for the IS up here in Washington. Mine sat at BMW of Bellevue for over a year before I got to it! Needless to say that ended up working to my benefit with pricing... However, it's sad that people are uninterested in such fantastic drivers cars. Every sales associate I have spoken to has raved about the driving dynamics when compared to the e92 and F32. I guess it's just our little secret over here at 1addicts
There were some down here that were marked down $8-9k a few weeks ago. I felt bad for them. One of the FIRST ones I think is still available in Delaware - the infamous red on red one.

Is it wrong that I actually don't want people to know about these cars? I kinda like that most normal people don't even know what the hell a 135 is, let alone a 135is. So, I like that it's our little secret rocket ship of a car. Someone at work asked me yesterday, "hey, how much power does your car have?" His eyes nearly popped out of his head when I said, 320..."320 in that little thing?!"

I also don't get how people think the 4 is great looking and the 1 is ugly. The 2 doesn't do much for me either, but I'll go look at one and take it for a spin when they come out in a few months as it'll coincide with my next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #2199
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There were some down here that were marked down $8-9k a few weeks ago. I felt bad for them. One of the FIRST ones I think is still available in Delaware - the infamous red on red one.

Is it wrong that I actually don't want people to know about these cars? I kinda like that most normal people don't even know what the hell a 135 is, let alone a 135is. So, I like that it's our little secret rocket ship of a car. Someone at work asked me yesterday, "hey, how much power does your car have?" His eyes nearly popped out of his head when I said, 320..."320 in that little thing?!"

I also don't get how people think the 4 is great looking and the 1 is ugly. The 2 doesn't do much for me either, but I'll go look at one and take it for a spin when they come out in a few months as it'll coincide with my next oil change.
The 135is seems like the modern ZHP. Those who know know, and those who don't, don't. But few years down the road almost everyone will recognize the distinction.

I never viewed the ZHP as an M3 equivalent but I always viewed that model as a 'gift' to the loyal enthusiasts. It wasn't about making a huge profit nor any kind of branding. They recognized the 135i as a special car and wanted to send it out in the most deserving way.
      01-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #2200
UpperLeftBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I saw the one at Pacific BMW shortly after I got mine for a steal! 42k I believe was the asking price. I have not seen this red on red IS, sounds intriguing haha. Props to whoever ends up with it as they will probably get it for a hell of a deal.

I am with you on the 4 series. I loathe the rear 3/4 view. The back end of the car from that angle looks much too bloated and elongated. After being a former 3 series owner, I naturally thought an F30 or F32 would be my next vehicle. After driving the 335 and 435, there was just something "missing." The cars have become much too large and I didn't really care for the drive mode adjustments. I prefer to always be in sport... haha. I even mistook the rear end a 335 as a 535 from a distance as the 3 series has truly become that large. As for the 2er, I feel as though it has some promise but I could not resist the IS as it seemed it was the last opportunity to obtain a modern yet drivers BMW. I fear the 2er will share the same lifeless steering as the rest of the F platforms and while it may be more aesthetically pleasing to some, I predict it will not drive as well as our 1ers.
Appreciate 0