BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

135i brakes making scrapping noise, anybody else?

Bought my 135i brand new from Irvine BMW. It's a 2012 BMW 135i. I got my Brembo brake calipers painted yellow. A couple weeks ago, i noticed this scrapping sound on the front passenger side brake. I thought it would go away. I noticed it gradually getting louder, so a couple weeks ago, i took it a local BMW dealership to get it checked out.

They told me "it was a washer that was worn out", so they replaced it with a brand new one. When i left, they just washed my car, so i didn't open windows on the drive home. The next day, i notice the same scrapping sound. So i take it back and told them the sound is still present.

So a couple days went by, and they tell me, "its the front rotors and brake pads. The rotors are warped, so we are replacing the brake pads and rotors". Again, they washed my car, so i didn't roll my windows down on the way home.

Two night ago, as i was driving to the bank, i notice the same scrapping sound on my front brakes. So today, i take it in, this time, a bit furious, telling them how they keep saying "it's fixed, and the sound is no longer present", yet, every time i drive the next day, the sound is present.

They apologize and ask me if i can take a technician out for a test drive. All two times i have taken my car to get this scrapping sound checked out, this technician sits in the passenger seat to diagnose the problem. So today, when i took the technician (same technician as before) for a test drive to hear the sound, again, he just reply's with "Oh, its the front brakes, there is a problem probably. Sometimes, when we order brake pads from BMW, they give us a bad batch of pads, basically faulty brake pads, so that might be the case here".

When we get out of my car, he looks at my brakes then goes, "oh these are painted calipers huh"? It might be the paint on the Brembo calipers that might be messing with the brake pads. I'll have to check it out".

This is a little ridiculous, blaming yellow paint on my calipers? Well, all i can do now is play the waiting game and see if they fix it. Hopefully, third times a charm! My car only has 8,000 miles on it, so i am pretty peeved it's doing this since i bought the car new.

Curious, has anybody else dealt with this issue on there 135i? It's a scrapping sound, like the pads are touching the rotors when your driving.

-Tycho
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Were the calipers completely disassembled for the painting? There was a recent post by a forum member where BMW actually denied warranty to the brakes / calipers due to them being painted. I just hope your dealer doesn't do the same.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721018
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep

No, the calipers were not removed from the rotors or disassembled. The paint shop just covered the rotors and everything around the brake and brake pads with painters tape and new papers etc and painted the caliper. I told the technician, if it was the paint, wouldn't the driver side front brakes make the same sound, as the rear calipers as well. Because the scrapping sound is only coming from the front passenger brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

I get this noise myself. It seems that many people get brake noise with this car I guess the price to pay for awesome brakes.
Some people get low noise brakes.
Some people have a problem with the brake sensor.
Check out this post. I hope it helps.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646917
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the link sir, but the noise isn't because the brakes are 6piston calipers nor is the noise a "squeaky" noise. It's a scrapping noise. Something in the passenger side front brake isn't right. Looking at post #25 on that thread you supplied Hellkite, it might be my sensor rubbing on the rotor, since the dealership replaced my front pads and front rotors, but didn't change the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkite View Post
I get this noise myself. It seems that many people get brake noise with this car I guess the price to pay for awesome brakes.
Some people get low noise brakes.
Some people have a problem with the brake sensor.
Check out this post. I hope it helps.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646917

Last edited by WhiteTgr135i; 09-17-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Also check to make sure your dust shields aren't bent. I've had that happen and gotten the scrapping noise. They're very close to the rotor on the bottom edge.
      09-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Okay, i just got a call from the technician from the BMW dealership, and there stating that the scrapping sound is caused by the type of paint i used to paint my rims black and the tire itself (which is OEM, runflats). Now, i think that is the most bulls*it excuse i have ever heard of.

If the sound is caused by the paint i used for my rims, then why is it only the right side making the noise, and not all 4 wheels? When i had my Subaru WRX, i used the same paint to paint my rims black, and i never had any scrapping sounding issue at all.

Does anybody else think that the technician blaming the scrapping sound due to the type of paint i used for my rims, is bulls*it? In my opinion, i don't think they can fix the sound, let alone detect what's causing the sound, which is why there blaming something as easy as the paint on my rims.

And i used high temp. rim paint to paint my rims.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd say its bs...if the paint were rubbing anywhere it'd simply rub away and stop making noise.
      09-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

SCRAPING.

>_<

ok i'm laughing about it. that was impressively consistent.

also, my scraping noise has gone slightly squealy, like brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

I have exactly the same problem! And I haven't painted anything.

BMW's excuses each time:
1st - The brakes are glazed because I track the car (I don't). Rotors cleaned.
2nd - The detail guy is leaving a greasy film on the rotors. Rotors cleaned again.
3rd - The subframe bushings are broken. New bushings and rotors cleaned for 3rd time.

Guess what.......still making the noise!
      09-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep

They told me my rims were making the noise since i painted them black. They put my rims on another 135i, completely stock, and the sound was present. They put another pair of M-261 rims on my car, with factory coat, and the sound disappeared.

Weird how that scrapping sound exists due to black paint. I never had this issue on my WRX when i painted the stockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marcus View Post
I have exactly the same problem! And I haven't painted anything.

BMW's excuses each time:
1st - The brakes are glazed because I track the car (I don't). Rotors cleaned.
2nd - The detail guy is leaving a greasy film on the rotors. Rotors cleaned again.
3rd - The subframe bushings are broken. New bushings and rotors cleaned for 3rd time.

Guess what.......still making the noise!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Yep been there done that. I'm in Germany so I don't get the value of the warranty like the states. First time there was some "build up" on the rotor, they cleaned and no noise for about a week. Second time "my rotors have a warped spot" They tried to tell me that since our front calipers are so big that sometimes the rotors won't cool off evenly when parked after a hard run. And of course thay said no we don't replace them under warranty.... Jsut incase you guys thins it's only BMW NA that plays the stupid card there're not, the ones over here are just the same.
Some time its really light sometimes not so much. Fk'n irritating as hell. I think it has something to do with the pads and the pistons. Maybe they don't always retract, I think this because if there making the rubbing sound and I roll the brakes for a few feet it disappears. The brakes still work fully and all but when I get the car back stateside, shipping in a few weeks, I'm gonna take it to my pops in law alignment shop and have him see what's up. Plus I'll be looking to change the rotors/pads any ways. I think the whole warped in just one spot thing is complete bullshit. I know performance brakes are touchy sometimes but this is BS.
      10-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
This is very odd, how could paint cause noise? Could it be a rough painted surface & wind noise

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
///S55
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I have had a scraping noise and they blame rocks, but it's always the same rotor so I am not sure. It does come and go, and I've brought it up so many times I've just given up and if there are any huge problems in the future I'll just bring it back and complain. Since it's been documented that I have brought the car in so many times for that reason.
      12-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
153R132
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have a driverside oem bmw brembo w pads if you wanted to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Kreed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

I got this on my 2013, tried doing a hard drive through angeles crest and that got rid of it for a bit but then it came back. I took the wheel off and rotated the rotor by hand and the pads are definitely grabbing the rotor (slightly) with every rotation, I can feel the resistance.

Not sure what to do as it sounds like the dealer is unable to adjust this.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
Kreed
Enlisted Member
Rep

I read on another forum that you can open the brake fluid reservoir cap to relieve pressure and actually push the pads open slightly and that may fix it. I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
I read on another forum that you can open the brake fluid reservoir cap to relieve pressure and actually push the pads open slightly and that may fix it. I'll give it a try.
Pressure doesn't build up in a brake fluid reservoir, if anything a slight vacuum is created in there. The only place where pressure can build is past the master cylinder.
      07-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
Kreed
Enlisted Member
Rep

I swapped out my rotors for the performance rotors and the sound has changed a little but its still present.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I have what seems to be like a caliper sticking slightly. It looks like my LR rotor is a bit more worn than the RR and i get a light scraping sound at low speeds. Also, the last time i AutoXed it, after some hard braking, i got a very strong scraping sound that went away after another run. Im going to have the dealership look at it during my final oil change.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Check to make sure your backing plate isn't rubbing.