BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Secondary Cat Delete

Is there any point in doing this? Are there any performance gains or pleasing sounds?

I'm assuming the secondary cats are there due to the SULEV vehicle spec and are not really necessary, much like the carbon filter.

I have the BMW PE and PI and will soon be adding the AA N51 tune or possibly Evolve's new tune. I'm not sure if they can tune for this.

Last edited by jclaib7; 02-03-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

According to my mechanic and a few dyno runs(such as Andrey's) there's a 3-5hp to be gained from removing them. My mechanic says BMW mostly uses them to reduce sound volume and suggests removing them for peak performance. I don't think tuning is necessary to capitalize on they're removal, the computer will self adjust as it's ran.
      02-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
According to my mechanic and a few dyno runs(such as Andrey's) there's a 3-5hp to be gained from removing them. My mechanic says BMW mostly uses them to reduce sound volume and suggests removing them for peak performance. I don't think tuning is necessary to capitalize on they're removal, the computer will self adjust as it's ran.
That sounds promising. I could probably have my local exhaust guy hack it off and replace it with a straight pipe for $50 bucks.

Is it easily accessibly once on the lift?
      02-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaib7 View Post
That sounds promising. I could probably have my local exhaust guy hack it off and replace it with a straight pipe for $50 bucks.

Is it easily accessibly once on the lift?
The angle of the replacement pipe needs to be correct, its in a 60 degree angled area.

I suggest you spend time on the forums to understand the 3 stage manifold conversion and the tunes available for headers. Both options will show more gains then just a secondary-cat delete.

The secondary cat delete prevents one from getting headers from SuperSprint or Scheimann or Maplesridge's decat pipes & having the smells contained. Therefore the only choice is the offering from AFE, their 300 cell catted header for n52.

If you want to do the secondary decat, than SuperSprisnt race pipes may be the best option which have a clamp-on ends. A solution, inspired by german 125i's would be to custom fit a 135i midpipe from the n55, or any decat midpipe like maddad, into a muffler.

My exhaust is a full custom 3" exhaust from the exhaust manifold into a 135i muffler. It sounds awesome, aggresive and at the same time civil due to baffled 135i muffler. It complicates my situation with heads, unless custom I fit a race cat in 200 or 300 cells.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
The angle of the replacement pipe needs to be correct, its in a 60 degree angled area.

I suggest you spend time on the forums to understand the 3 stage manifold conversion and the tunes available for headers. Both options will show more gains then just a secondary-cat delete.

The secondary cat delete prevents one from getting headers from SuperSprint or Scheimann or Maplesridge's decat pipes & having the smells contained. Therefore the only choice is the offering from AFE, their 300 cell catted header for n52.

If you want to do the secondary decat, than SuperSprisnt race pipes may be the best option which have a clamp-on ends. A solution, inspired by german 125i's would be to custom fit a 135i midpipe from the n55, or any decat midpipe like maddad, into a muffler.

My exhaust is a full custom 3" exhaust from the exhaust manifold into a 135i muffler. It sounds awesome, aggresive and at the same time civil due to baffled 135i muffler. It complicates my situation with heads, unless custom I fit a race cat in 200 or 300 cells.

For what it's worth, my exhaust still is extremely smelly even with the secondary's in place. Not so much when you're inside the car or driving around, but when i start the car inside my garage and im walking around i can certainly smell the catless headers exhaust.
      02-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I get some smells with my Sec-delete in the cold start situation. It is not bad, I imagine a header would be more intense.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I dont smell anything with my secondaries off. I remember when i took them off they were really clogged up though. I would assume the primaries have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
For what it's worth, my exhaust still is extremely smelly even with the secondary's in place. Not so much when you're inside the car or driving around, but when i start the car inside my garage and im walking around i can certainly smell the catless headers exhaust.
Odd, mine is pretty smell free. I get a little on cold start outside, but it never permeates the car or is noticeable when driving around with windows down, even in traffic.

When my E36 M3 had straight pipes though that was awful.
      02-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Odd, mine is pretty smell free. I get a little on cold start outside, but it never permeates the car or is noticeable when driving around with windows down, even in traffic.

When my E36 M3 had straight pipes though that was awful.
I only can smell it with both windows down when i'm sitting at a light for a few minutes and there's no wind, or in my garage when i'm outside of the car or i have the window open. Other than that it's completely smell free. Though to be honest, i really like the catless smell, I'm used to it from my race quad/dirtbike days. Nothing smells better than a 2 stroke running race gas
      02-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Lol I'm curious why our cars are so " smelly" with the cats removed? I deleted the cats on my 02 Camaro SS with long tube headers and custom x pipe and didn't notice any smells.
      02-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

I spoke to my local exhaust shop about deleting the secondary cat and they were concerned about the "legality" of messing around with this component.

Any concerns there?
      02-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep

It varies from state to state.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka;*****768
It varies from state to state.
Actually it doesn't. Removing any emissions equipment including either the primary cat or the secondary cat is illegal for the shop to do by federal law if the vehicle will be used on the street. Now states where there are no vehicle inspections, this is not big deal because no one will most likely find out. But it is illegal for the shop to do this in any state. I have encountered plenty of shops who will not do this type of work because if it somehow was to be traced back to them they could potentially be fined or shut down. I think you will have an easier time with getting a shop to say put on cat-less headers than remove the secondaries because the primaries are hard to see in a visual inspection.

2012 BMW 128i: BMW Performance Rear Spoiler, BMW Performance Front Grilles, 20% Tint, BMW 135i M-Sport Axle-back With Shadowline Tips, Golf-Tee Mod, 261 M-Sport Rims with Falken 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires,Depo Smoked LED Side Makers, Eiback Pro Springs (To be installed)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #14
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Running catless in Australia is a $10k fine I hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald;*****806
Actually it doesn't. Removing any emissions equipment including either the primary cat or the secondary cat is illegal for the shop to do by federal law if the vehicle will be used on the street. Now states where there are no vehicle inspections, this is not big deal because no one will most likely find out. But it is illegal for the shop to do this in any state. I have encountered plenty of shops who will not do this type of work because if it somehow was to be traced back to them they could potentially be fined or shut down. I think you will have an easier time with getting a shop to say put on cat-less headers than remove the secondaries because the primaries are hard to see in a visual inspection.
I dunno, every shop i went to in tampa said they would happily do the 2ndary, but not the primary.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
I dunno, every shop i went to in tampa said they would happily do the 2ndary, but not the primary.
Florida also does not have inspection.

"Custom" work at an exhaust shop will result in rust down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Thread is old but no piont in starting a new one. So what is the verdict here on deleting the secondary cats?

I plan on doing the SS headers at some point (after my next inspection). Should I just leave the secondary cats there and not go through the trouble? Will removing them allow me to get any noticable gains from the SS headers?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
Thread is old but no piont in starting a new one. So what is the verdict here on deleting the secondary cats?

I plan on doing the SS headers at some point (after my next inspection). Should I just leave the secondary cats there and not go through the trouble? Will removing them allow me to get any noticable gains from the SS headers?
i say do it, going catless might aswell go the whole 9 yards, thats just my opinion doesnt hurt, i can bet the STIG will chime in and say leave the stock 2 secondary cats on because they are factory "highflow cats". People that mod their cars for track setup or all the best stuff and don't even drive them lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post

Leave them, the difference between having them and not is not something you(people in general) are capable of feeling. With SS headers and straight pipes, your car will noticeably smell.

You drove mine with SS headers and the secondaries still in place, what were your thoughts on odors/power?
      05-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Leave them, the difference between having them and not is not something you(people in general) are capable of feeling. With SS headers and straight pipes, your car will noticeably smell.

You drove mine with SS headers and the secondaries still in place, what were your thoughts on odors/power?
+1, little to nothing will be gained from deleting secondary kitties.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

Yea I honestly didn't smell anything from your car St|g. As far as power I couldn't tell since I have nothing to compare it against. Definitely faster than mine haha. I think I'll end up keeping them until I get bored again
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #22
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

So do I understand correctly that having a shop install the SuperSprint headers on a street car would be a Federal violation due to the fact that the primary cats are located in the factory exhaust manifold, thus resulting in the removal of emissions equipment in the eyes of the Feds?

For some reason I was hoping that as long as the car passed emissions, which according to St|g, it should, having the SuperSprint headers installed wouldn't be illegal.

I don't/can't wrench so I suppose I'd have to find a mechanic to do the work "out of the shop" or otherwise off the clock...
DISA Intake, AA Header, MILV's, Stage FP Tune, VAC Motorsports Quaife LSD, CDV Delete, M3 Upper and Lower Front Control Arms, Powerflex Yellow RSFB’s, "Square" Tire/Wheel Set Up: Michelin PS A/S 3 225/45 17"'s on 17"x7.5" Type 262's
Appreciate 0