BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
LightEmUp
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

SF Valley or Ventura County Fender roller?

Anyone know a local fender roller?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
SpaceG135i
WTF was that, Was it your car?
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i Space Grey Red Interi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightEmUp View Post
Anyone know a local fender roller?
To be honest, i went to ltbmw for it and they did a great job. I bet if u search around u will find someone closer but ya i def suggest them
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

also went to LT, good work
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Bavarian Exclusive is a bit out of your range but they have a special tool for fender rolling. Or hit up Status Autoworks in Torrance.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Call my buddy Tony the fender guru: (818) 368-4395. He'll come to you and charges only $40 per fender! Tell him Doug B. sent you.

Excerpt from my autocross journal post about my experience with him:

Enter my buddy from way back in our VW roots and legendary underground fender guru, Tony. As a writer for Performance VW and Performance BMW, car show addict and all-around car nut, just about everyone into cars in CA knows Tony, or knows someone who knows Tony. From the BMW CCA racers to VIP show boys, JDM fans to Euro bagged tire stretchers, they call Tony to make their style drivable. According to Tony, the curvature and design of modern BMW fenders are amongst the toughest to work on without damaging, so he’s become a leading source of expertise in this regard, as many shops refer such work his way and don’t want the headache themselves. For SoCal residents, we have one of the best at our disposal.

My charge to Tony was to make the tires fit without any on-track rubbing, while making his work nearly imperceptible to the untrained eye from the outside – no easy task. Tony started by heating up the fender lips to get them pliable, then hand-hammered the lips flat. In his opinion, the complexity of the 135i’s fenders are better approached carefully by hand, rather than with a one-size-fits-all fender roller approach. Test driving afterward showed tire rubbing on the front most section of the fender lip down to the bumper tab, as the tire was moving forward under full compression. Tony grinded down the bumper tab and cut a small section of the front fender liners on each side to give more room to roll the fender lips completely flush against themselves. He then engaged in the black art of mallet-to-inner-fender pounding, as he hand-formed the heated fender, pulling it out for tire clearance. The results are very subtle from the outside with no paint cracking or fender distortion, but the inner clearancing made a big difference in allowing the setup to work.

From mild to wild, I highly recommend Tony for your own project. Most shops charge $100-$250 per fender for this type of job, but since it’s just an enjoyable hobby on the side for Tony, he’ll do it for only $40 per fender! Plus, if you’re in SoCal, he’ll come to you. It’s a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Know of Tony as well... good work
Appreciate 0