BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Resetting brake service lights, what am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 135i that just recently (today), tripped the rear brake inspection light (red), the red brake light (on all the time), and the red inspection light with the car jacked up in the air upon starting the car.

I know I didn't trip the brake pad sensor, as my brakes are fairly new and my trip computer showed the inspection had only passed within five miles ago. I searched on this forum, and tried to reset the computer myself, but now my car shows these symbols (rear brake inspection light, now yellow with "----- miles" showing, red brake light on all the time, and the red inspection light with the car jacked up in the air upon starting the car.

I followed the guide on this forum step by step, but cannot clear the rear brake inspection light as it stays yellow with "------ miles" showing. I've pressed the reset button, let it go, as well as pressed it in and held it while the little clock thingie spun around. Neither method works, the car says I still need the inspection done.

Seeing as people have done this on their own, I'm obviously doing it incorrectly so if anyone has any tips/help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I had a case where the sensor cable broke. Perhaps during driving something hit and actually broke the cable.

You can test this by simply shorting out the cable (connect the two leads together). The warning should go away.

If that works then you know it's simply a bad sensor cable.
Appreciate 0