BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

DIY: install Injen intake for 135/335 - scanned guide

I thought some people might want to read through this before they jump into the install. Realistically, if you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do this install in less than an hour, provided you have the correct tools:
10mm socket
4" socket extension
socket wrench
torx T-15 bit
drill with 1/4" drill bit
3/16 or metric equivalent allen key
1.5" stubby flat blade screw driver
6" standard flat blade screwdriver
hacksaw for shortening optional plenum bracket
Attached Images

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Continued
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I have 2 questions: First, at the begining, they mentioned about front bumper removal, but none of the installation procedures mentioned this. Second, at the end, they mentioned clean and replace the filter periordically, I thought the filter suppose to last for a long time and only require wash with water and dry afterward for a dry (not oiled) filter type. My I right? Thanks for posting this.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I have 2 questions: First, at the begining, they mentioned about front bumper removal, but none of the installation procedures mentioned this. Second, at the end, they mentioned clean and replace the filter periordically, I thought the filter suppose to last for a long time and only require wash with water and dry afterward for a dry (not oiled) filter type. My I right? Thanks for posting this.
I assumed it was because thier guide production process involves a lot of cutting and pasting and not a lot of proof reading.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Got my polished with blue filters Injen from the Gravity group buy installed today. I'll get pictures after I get a few more mods completed.

It went well although it took me around 2 hours. My kit was not missing any pieces as a few have mentioned. I was a little stumped when on the bottom of one page the directions were telling me to remove a headlight bolt that I couldn't find, then I figured out the instructions had separate 335 vs 135 portions. It could have been marked better. It also should mention that you have to drill the factory scoop to get the new bolt through. I also think it should come with some nuts and bolts to reinstall the passenger side scoop. I fixed this omission myself.

I couldn't really tell any significant sound difference, which was good to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Installed mine this weekend - was very straight-forward. The kit wasn't missing any pieces and fit & finish is great!

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

In your guys opinions. What step numbers are there to avoid that are only for the 335i. Also is it clear where to drill. Not really sure by looking at these instructions. I may be doing this tomorrow and wanted a heads up. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank772 View Post
In your guys opinions. What step numbers are there to avoid that are only for the 335i. Also is it clear where to drill. Not really sure by looking at these instructions. I may be doing this tomorrow and wanted a heads up. Thanks!
The steps are marked on the instructions. The drill point will be obvious when you line up the bracket. Thats what I did and it turned out fine.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep

Doing this install now. and wanted to type this while fresh in my head. Also note, my instructions seem to be different than the ones above.

In figure 19 where it says remove both m6 nuts labled A. That is correct however, it doesnt mention that you need to unclip 2 hoses that will be covering those nuts. Just FYI number one that I thought might help someone. Ill update as I go on if I run into something else. Oh and I dont have my camera with me so sorry no pics.....yeah yeah im an idiot.

Second thing.... My powersteering fluid bracket came to me pretty banged up (the box) so It was probably a little out of alignment. So... using it as a guide in figure 38 would have caused me to be in the wrong spot on the cross memeber. No big deal, just had to bend the bracket a little. looking at the cross memeber you will notice how it essentially looks like little triangles. The bracket should align with the triangle to the right (if you are facing your windshield) of the triangle where the hood release cable is...ok next beer and moving on.

Last edited by shawshank772; 04-18-2009 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep

After you have done step 43 but the resevior cup back in. Just like they did in 36 it just forgets to mention it. I left mine out for a few steps then it occured to me....wait this thing needs go in here now.

figure 67...says us the m6X16mm bolts supplied to connect the scoop to the injen plenum. They will not fit through the existing holes on the scoop. Simply take that same 1/4 drill bit and make the holes bigger.

Lastly. I think someone mentioned it but there are no screws for the second airscoop. I am sure you could leave it out, but it just didnt look right. So I went to get som m6 12mm bolts with nuts to install the second scoop. Now, while I was there they did not have ss bolts. They only had zink black coated. I just couldnt have bolt not match so I went ahead and bought enough 6mX12mm zink coated bolts for everything. So now it matches the interior fairly well.

Overall the install is very strait forward, no real problems at all. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

Last edited by shawshank772; 04-18-2009 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Just finsihed installed the Injen in take on my 135. Everything people mentioned here are true and good tips. Except I noticed the intake tubes are very close to some body parts; expecially the lower tube almost touched the alternator (?). I have to pull the bracket real hard to make sure that none of the tubes touch anything. I barely leave a small gap (like 0.25") in between. Secondly, they don't supplied screw to fasten the passenger side air scoop. Right now, I just pop it back into the slot and close the hood and hope it will stay there until I go get some hardware to fastern. I also don't understand why they don't make use of both intake scoops. Any way, the finished product looks good in the engine bay. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0