BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Talking Another journey begins with a 1M

Took me well over a month to have a BSM 1M trained across country. I have been lurking for well over a month before the purchase and it's quite a change for me from a swapped Impreza (aka RSTi) of 14 yrs. It will be so hard to keep it stock and given that I aim to hang onto the car, the minimum I need will be a set of winters come November.

Only seen AW / VO 1M but my friends have seen at least 1 BSM running around town. Although it's my first BMW (and an M car no less), as kid I have sat in an 81 320i for quite some time so you could say I have BMW blood in me (and almost went Audi/VW for this next car of mine).

An unfortunate part of shipping the car across country is that I now has a cracked windshield to make a claim for, and because there is no front plate holder, I will make a bracket without drilling the bumper. A small price to pay compared to the enjoyment I get from this special vehicle
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

congratulations.. shipper doesnt cover the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

Few things.

1) You don't have BMW blood running through you, and that's not a bad thing at all, haha.

2) You started with the end car, as far as BMW and drivers cars go. So you are ahead of the game. Wise move. Saved yourself the cost of moving up cars.

3) Shoulda covered carriered that suckah! I'm sorry to hear about the windshield being an issue. Those suck when it's not something that happened with you in the car, y'know?

4) Word to the wise - avoid the pompous BMW cliques. Your 1M is amazing. Nothing new is going to shame it. At all. So don't take any guff from the snobs these roundels attract.

5) Welcome, dude. Honestly, I never had a problem with mod compulsion, so I have no idea. But, in my baby, there isn't a thing that needs to change. I'll probably do the spoiler swap, painted, just cause I like the little duck butt, but there's nothing that makes me think "this would be so great if..." In this car. It's a dream.

6) Enjoy dat mofo, suckah!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Check out usmillworks.com for a no-hole plate option for your front. Screws in to the tow hitch. It's what I have and it works great for the rare occasions I need to put the plate on.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Took me well over a month to have a BSM 1M trained across country. I have been lurking for well over a month before the purchase and it's quite a change for me from a swapped Impreza (aka RSTi) of 14 yrs. It will be so hard to keep it stock and given that I aim to hang onto the car, the minimum I need will be a set of winters come November.

Only seen AW / VO 1M but my friends have seen at least 1 BSM running around town. Although it's my first BMW (and an M car no less), as kid I have sat in an 81 320i for quite some time so you could say I have BMW blood in me (and almost went Audi/VW for this next car of mine).

An unfortunate part of shipping the car across country is that I now has a cracked windshield to make a claim for, and because there is no front plate holder, I will make a bracket without drilling the bumper. A small price to pay compared to the enjoyment I get from this special vehicle
Congrats to my Vancouver 1M buddy. Sorry to hear about the windshield. Here is a link to my solution to the no holes license plate, check out post #40

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=550327&page=2
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
Few things.

1) You don't have BMW blood running through you, and that's not a bad thing at all, haha.

2) You started with the end car, as far as BMW and drivers cars go. So you are ahead of the game. Wise move. Saved yourself the cost of moving up cars.
Almost gone with an E46 M3 SMG Competition which would have been a maintenance nightmare. The fact that there was only 1 6MT 135i that I didn't particularly care for pushed me towards a 1M

Quote:
3) Shoulda covered carriered that suckah! I'm sorry to hear about the windshield being an issue. Those suck when it's not something that happened with you in the car, y'know?
Small town that I bought it from (Moncton NB) means that you can't get on the enclosed rail car right there. The shipper I used didn't have enclosed trucks and they had to truck it to Montreal first. I'm just claiming their insurance (not my own). Driving it back would have been too tiring - 6000KM and 57hrs according to Google

Quote:
4) Word to the wise - avoid the pompous BMW cliques. Your 1M is amazing. Nothing new is going to shame it. At all. So don't take any guff from the snobs these roundels attract.

5) Welcome, dude. Honestly, I never had a problem with mod compulsion, so I have no idea. But, in my baby, there isn't a thing that needs to change. I'll probably do the spoiler swap, painted, just cause I like the little duck butt, but there's nothing that makes me think "this would be so great if..." In this car. It's a dream.

That performance steering wheel looks really nice, and track day pretty much means I will need camber plate up front. Winter rim/tire might push me to look for some dedicated race rubber that will fit the same rim (thinking of 18x9.5 ARC-8) and still undecided about going full black on the grill, rims and maybe the side trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Driving it back would have been too tiring - 6000KM and 57hrs according to Google
I would have driven it!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Did a day trip down the I-5 and man that power can be addictive - 6th gear acceleration on the highway just shows how much torque is available down low (120kph is around 2500 rpm, flooring it quickly bring the car up to "jail time" speed in no time). Previously on a wet day I tried the 2nd/3rd gear acceleration and it's a big adjustment with only wide rear wheels powering the car forward (vs my RSTi with AWD). I figure I could burn through gas and tires pretty quickly
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Few things.

perfectly well said
      08-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Congrats on your 1M! You bought 2 days after me! (8/12/14 for me) BSM is a sweet color, (almost as nice as Space Grey ) and ultra rare. It takes too much extra effort to keep clean though, which is why I went with AW... But nothing looks sexier than an ultra polished BSM with light just flowing like liquid over it. Need some !

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Actually the official payment was made Jul 9 but because it's on the other side of the country, it took slightly over a month to truck/train over. There were a few AW cars locally but I wanted a fully loaded car - I actually inquired about 2 other cars that are much closer to me but 1 was sold before the photos were uploaded to BMW Pre-owned inventory (VO with less mileage, also fully loaded), the other was a BSM but didn't have Executive package (I mulled over a weekend and that was sold just as well). I paid more for this car than the other 2, and in the end, BSM suits me just fine (AW would have worked but VO is a little bit "outrageous" for my personality)

Still haven't got rid of all the bug residue after a wash last night - I figure I need to clay bar it even though it was detailed before delivery
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Quote:
Still haven't got rid of all the bug residue after a wash last night - I figure I need to clay bar it even though it was detailed before delivery
Haha! I'm the same, I'm enrolling in a detailing course to learn how to use an RO polisher so I can give it the bling it deserves! I have a feeling they are going to easily sell me a 1M trunk full of products by the end of the course... So much for a budget...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Well, I spend over $100CDN on cloth/sponge/polishing machine so there... wait till the parts bill (although I would say I'm almost at that stage of thinking about a certain part for months before deciding yay or nay on it)
Appreciate 0