BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

BMW 2-series convertible spied!

Spy photographers working for Hans G. Lehmann captured some shots of a prototype of the BMW 1-Series convertible.

The 1-Series convertible, which won't hit the market for a year or more, is expected to be offered in the United States alongside a 1-Series coupe. The four- and two-door 1-Series hatchbacks are not expected to come stateside. In early December, Leftlane News cited a published report suggesting the 120 Si coupe and convertible would be a "baby M3" — a "spiritual successor" to the E30 M3 (1986-1991).

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This thread was originally in the news forum, thought I'd copy it here for more exposure.

It's been a while since I took a look at these pics but everytime I see them I think how nice a little nimble BMW like this would be. Don't get me wrong, I own an E90 and love it but every once in a while when some length of time has passed and I haven't utilized the backseats and extra 2 doors, I think how nice it would be to just shrink down the 3 series to save weight and gain nimbleness. And that's exactly what I think the 1-series coupe could be, and that gets me all excited. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Couple more ones just caught by photographer. By license plate, looks to be a different test mule. Proportions of this car are perfect for a convertible IMO. Not too long and boat-like like the 3-series convertibles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Good to see they're still testing With the silent treatmetn we've gotten from BMW, woulda thought the 2-series coupe and convertible were dead

Now someone please capture a coupe version!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Couple more. Wish there was less camo :mad:

Different color top tho and a bit more rear light exposed !!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Yes i would like to see pics of the coupe aswel.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Couple more ones just caught by photographer. By license plate, looks to be a different test mule. Proportions of this car are perfect for a convertible IMO. Not too long and boat-like like the 3-series convertibles.
I agree Harold- I think what is going to make the car really stand out is how well BMW has managed the proportions of the 1-series.

The new Mazda CX7 looks (to my eyes) just awful in photos and absolutely spot-on in person...in part because of its size. It seems we're on the cusp
of the return of small fast cars to the US only this time they'll be desirable and cool instead of the econoboxes of the 70's and 80's.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
It seems we're on the cusp
of the return of small fast cars to the US only this time they'll be desirable and cool instead of the econoboxes of the 70's and 80's.

Can't wait!!:headbang:

Speaking of small, fast nicely proportioned cars, I was talking to a Mini Cooper S owner yesterday. Loves his car (so do I) and, based in my test drive a few months ago, it's an absolute peach to drive. My expectation is that Bimmer will outdo the Cooper S with the new 1-series (no surprise there). So if the Mini Cooper S is a synonym for the absolute minimum expectation for the 1-series, yeeeehaaa!!!!!

As we've said many times on this site, if the competition (B200, A3, MCS, GTI) sets the minimum standard (and we can be confident that the 1-series will easily surpass it) the car pictured above, adn its siblings, will be revolutionary...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Regarding the convertible photos, how do we know this is a BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

There's a bunch of things...the Hans G. Lehman photographs that kick off this thread are id-ed as BMW prototypes. If you quote the first post you'll see the provenance of the photos. Some of the images have popped up on other dedicated websites....World Car Fans, for example, that are very reliable identifying so called "spy photos".

The "M" designation on some of the license plates stands for "Munich"...home of BMW.

All the prototypes wear a "fat-suit"- an intricate 2nd exterior skin of camouflage that covers the entire body. I've seen other manufacturers cover parts of the body but no one except BMW goes to such trouble as to cover the entire exterior with the "real" skin underneath.
Take a look at the passenger side rear shots where you can see the gas tank cover on the real car underneath.
Some tricky stuff.

On one of the rear shots you can clearly see that this is running on a 1 series platform...the beefed-up double wishbones are the most obvious clue.

As Harold mentioned you can see the BMW proportion...the extremely short front overhang, the comparatively long wheelbase for a car this size...
all of it points to it being a BMW.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
There's a bunch of things...the Hans G. Lehman photographs that kick off this thread are id-ed as BMW prototypes. If you quote the first post you'll see the provenance of the photos. Some of the images have popped up on other dedicated websites....World Car Fans, for example, that are very reliable identifying so called "spy photos".

The "M" designation on some of the license plates stands for "Munich"...home of BMW.

All the prototypes wear a "fat-suit"- an intricate 2nd exterior skin of camouflage that covers the entire body. I've seen other manufacturers cover parts of the body but no one except BMW goes to such trouble as to cover the entire exterior with the "real" skin underneath.
Take a look at the passenger side rear shots where you can see the gas tank cover on the real car underneath.
Some tricky stuff.

On one of the rear shots you can clearly see that this is running on a 1 series platform...the beefed-up double wishbones are the most obvious clue.

As Harold mentioned you can see the BMW proportion...the extremely short front overhang, the comparatively long wheelbase for a car this size...
all of it points to it being a BMW.

What he said . Hopefully we should start seeing some coupe prototypes running around by early next year....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

How do we know- Is this a BMW?

Or, illegitimate spawn - perhaps Hummer/Z4 Love Child
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That was the X6/V series.. now we have those more full body shots of the x6
      12-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #14
Brookside
Major
Rep

Yep - you are sharp Freak...early X6 prototype in testing. Love the tractor-high seating position.
Appreciate 0