BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Raptorbh12
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Remote not locking car

As of today I noticed that my remote no longer locks the doors on my car. When I hit the lock button, the lock switches on the doors wiggle but dont go up or down.
Yes im hitting the right button (blue BMW symbol). It seems odd for both power door locks to go bad at the same time so Im not positive thats the case.

Anyone know of a reason it might be doing this?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorbh12 View Post
As of today I noticed that my remote no longer locks the doors on my car. When I hit the lock button, the lock switches on the doors wiggle but dont go up or down.
Yes im hitting the right button (blue BMW symbol). It seems odd for both power door locks to go bad at the same time so Im not positive thats the case.

Anyone know of a reason it might be doing this?
DO YOU HAVE COMFORT ACCESS??

If so, replace the battery in remote.. its a duracell 2025 flat battery..( i think !!!)

BTW if you want to make a trip. it is covered under warranty.. battery is only a couple of bucks though.

If you dont have comfort acees, try the spare key... the remote may be bad.

Regards,
      08-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Obviously the car is getting a signal if the locks jiggle. The only things I can think of are:
A) You have comfort access and you have your spare key inside of the car, maybe the trunk. I don't think it will allow you to lock the car with the key inside.
B) Your remote is messed up and somehow sends the lock and unlock signal at the same time.
C) Both door lock are bad. A simple way to test this is to lock the doors using the button on the dash. If they lock and unlock from there, it's not the actuators.
      08-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
135roller
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i black...stock ;)

it happened to my friend, the dealer exchanged his key for free.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Raptorbh12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
Obviously the car is getting a signal if the locks jiggle. The only things I can think of are:
A) You have comfort access and you have your spare key inside of the car, maybe the trunk. I don't think it will allow you to lock the car with the key inside.
B) Your remote is messed up and somehow sends the lock and unlock signal at the same time.
C) Both door lock are bad. A simple way to test this is to lock the doors using the button on the dash. If they lock and unlock from there, it's not the actuators.
I think this might be it.
The drivers side locks but does not unlock. The passenger side unlocks from inside button but does not lock. The door locks button on the inside of the car only locks the drivers side when pressed.
How could both actuators go bad the same day? It just seems fishy. Also if the car was still under warranty I wouldnt have posted on here.

Last edited by Raptorbh12; 08-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What happens when you lock the car with the mechanical key in the drivers door? Does it act the same? Do you have an aftermarket stereo, different speakers? Has the door pannels ever been apart?

I think you really just need to bite the bullet and go see the pro's at a dealer. For all the bad things people say about dealers (stealers) in cases like this they will know whats wrong and save you money in the repair from say a indi shop.

Lets see... it could be one of your $400 remote keys. One of the actuators in the doors, more $$$. Or even a broken wire in door's wiring harness. Things like this happen and no one here can diagnose your car via the web. Just my two cents.

It will probably cost you an hour or two's labor to pay a BMW tech to trouble shoot what is wrong. Then you will know what is defective and what it will cost to repair. So you are looking at least $230 to start.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Raptorbh12
Rep

Thanks Dackelone.
Yea, ill have to take it to the dealer but I have zero time in the upcoming days since im changing duty stations for the military and moving. Just wanted to see if this was a common problem and its looking like im the lucky guy that gets the lemmon car. I also just paid $800 today to fix my wifes car so im not liking car maintenance this month.
Appreciate 0