BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #45
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCroix View Post
Is there seriously only one person that is currently commenting on my actual post? This is getting ridiculous. Stop arguing about dct vs step vs 6mt in my thread, please. I just need help finding a car to drive.
Gimme a break dude. Your the one who opened it up with "the AT is terrible in my opinion" And now you're expecting everybody to feel sorry for you because they don't have your car just sitting there on the lot waiting for you? Get off your ass, drive around a little and find one. Oh by the way can I come over your house and sit on your couch and watch your widescreen TV for a while? I can't find the one I'm looking for and thought that you guys should help me out and let me check out yours...

Last edited by schmeah; 07-27-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #46
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

I asked a sales guy at a local dealer why they never had manuals. He said they get one in from time to time, but they sell almost immediately. He then went on to say that they sell very few manuals.

Durrrrrrr . . . supply and demand fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch128 View Post
bluesunit... dude I'm in Mandeville and am thinking about getting back into autocrossing. how long have you been part of Delta or Cenla???
Delta (I'm actually on the board). Been racing for 4 years, previously in an '06 Civic Si.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #47
LaCroix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 MazdaSpeed3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northx View Post
+1 - this is what I did - couldn't find a MT but wanted to get a feel for the shifting/clutch travel etc. I picked up mine on an ED and it felt exactly the same.
I've done that, the closest one is dallas. I would make the drive to look at it, but a couple of people have pm'd me in my area and said I could check their's out, so within a few weeks I'll know if I'm buying a bimmer or not .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
While I would agree that they do not force you to buy a manual they certainly make it difficult. Most Americans buy cars directly off the lot and do not order them. So only stocking autos on the lot gives buyers no choice unless they are willing to wait (which most are not).

Also, look at LaCroix's case. He wants to buy a stick and has money in hand. He only wants to do a test drive (which is a reasonable request). 11 dealerships in 2 states do not have a stick for him to test drive. Seems to me the dealerships have no desire to sell stick shifts. They hate getting them as lease returns and trade-ins. When I asked my sales guy what options a car should have to increase resale value he told me auto trans and a sunroof. Nothing else was important.

To the OP, seems like you are SOL looking for a 135i 6-speed manual in your area to test. I agree with what others have said regarding try to find a 335i with a stick. Try posting the same request on E90post. The 3-series outsells the 1-series by about 12:1.

The last monthly sales figures I saw only had the 1-series selling a handful of more units than the 7-series. I think the number was about 800 units last month. If the 30:1 ratio for auto:stick is true then only about 25 stick 1-series are sold each month. Not sure about the 128:135 ratio but I would say you are looking at less than 20 manual 135i sold each month in the entire US.
Haha, nice math. It's quite discouraging. I've never owned a car that was even available in an AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeah View Post
Gimme a break dude. Your the one who opened it up with "the AT is terrible in my opinion" And now you're expecting everybody to feel sorry for you because they don't have your car just sitting there on the lot waiting for you? Get off your ass, drive around a little and find one. Oh by the way can I come over your house and sit on your couch and watch your widescreen TV for a while? I can't find the one I'm looking for and thought that you guys should help me out and let me check out yours...
Woah there, have you even read this thread? And you can read it however you want, but I'm not saying the AT in this car is a bad one, but it is an AT. I'm quite biased in that I do not buy automatic cars, because they are not enjoyable to me. I'm not sure that that is a crime.

I'm not sure how you have determined that I want people to feel sorry for me? I'm simply trying to solve my problem, I didn't expect many people to love the idea, but I just assumed those people wouldn't post, not do what you did.

"Get off your ass, drive around a little and find one." Proof positive that you have not read my op or the remainder of this thread. I have been looking for around 5 months, calling dealerships, and constantly checking eBay, Autotrader, autos.yahoo, and Carmax. I came here asking as a last resort; I don't think I'll find one any other way. I'm not sure what it's like in New Jersey, but I think I've made it quite clear that these cars don't exist in my area in a 6mt (on dealer lots, anyhow). I asked humbly from enthusiast to enthusiasts if anyone wanted to help me out, and quite a few people have, in fact, wanted to.

Finally, you are more than welcome to come check out my flatscreen TV.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #48
LaCroix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 335I View Post
Now I see why you posted this question. You really do not know the potential of the ZF transmission in these cars. Cause if you did you would know that they are indeed quicker in both upshifting and downshifting, with the perfect revmatch to follow with it. I've owned the 6mt and I slammed through every gear without even lifting off the gas 20% and still could not reel in or pull forward on an AT equipped one. This was done stock vs stock and even JB3 vs JB3. I will tell you this, the steptronic works much better with power added to it such as a JB3.

I mean just look at the video below. I'm sure most have seen it but honestly I cannot find a better example of how well this transmissions performs.

Jump to 1:10
Forgot to multi-quote this, my bad. Alright, you may be absolutely right, I honestly don't know. I'm just going off of the fact that most of the cars I research are at least a few ticks faster in a MT, and it was my understanding that that was also the case with the 135i (Edmunds, Car and Driver, ect.)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
We're kind of getting off-topic. I'm glad that everyone here had an opportunity to drive one, but I'm looking to figure out how I can. I'm in the middle of the country, and 95% of the bimmers here are 328s.
I ordered my 135i without getting a chance to test drive a manual version.
I owned an E46 manual, so I was familiar with BMW manuals and was certain that a manual 135i would be just fine.

See if you can test drive a 3 series in a manual. It feels pretty much the same. I'd say that if you're a manual guy, and that's why you want, then don't sweat it at all. The manual 135i won't disappoint you.
It may not be THE perfect manual, as that depends on the individuals opinion, but it's a fine manual trans that's well suited to the 135i.

BTW, you note "6AT", so to be clear you were test driving a steptronic as that has 6spds. The DCT has 7 speeds. Have you had chance to test one of those to see it you'd like it?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M///M Good View Post
I understand what you mean with the auto [DCT]. It's just not as involving . . . and there's a hesitation when taking off from a stoplight. The dealership I went to only had 135s and 335s in the auto and I was disappointed. Luckily for me the dealership had a 2nd location on the other side of Jacksonville with a 6MT 135i on the lot and I went and drove that one. My only suggestion would be for you or your dealer to call other dealers looking for a 6MT for you to try.
I think he is referring to the step trans as he noted "6AT".
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #51
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
What do you mean lag? The step is instant response did you ever take it out of D?

Whatever I don't care that you're a stick guy but no need to hate on the step
C'mon, just because someone notes something about a particular trans that he doesn't like, that doesn't mean he's "hating" on it.
Not everyone likes the Step, just like not everyone likes the DCT, or the manual.

We really don't have to go there every time someone makes a comment about their experience and their likes or dislikes.
It could also be that the Step he drove wasn't up to par.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #52
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunit View Post
I asked a sales guy at a local dealer why they never had manuals. He said they get one in from time to time, but they sell almost immediately. He then went on to say that they sell very few manuals.

Durrrrrrr . . . supply and demand fail.

Delta (I'm actually on the board). Been racing for 4 years, previously in an '06 Civic Si.
That comment cracks me up too.
I went to 5 BMW dealers in the Chicago area looking for a manual, and nearly all of them said the same thing. You would think that that fact would tell the ordering manager to ORDER a couple of manuals. Why?
CAUSE THEY SELL!

One dealer even said he would order a manual for me but I would have to pay MSRP cause manuals "are in high demand."
Yeah, and that's why they don't stock them.
I ordered from a different dealer AND got a great discount.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #53
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
DAMN do u live by Sarasota???

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #54
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
No it's not, any decent driver can shift more quickly than any non-DC automatic.

ALSO
STEP is marginally faster, with a turbo car, it hold boost during shift changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #55
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Incase you haven noticed I'm a post whore...so my word is the word of reason with no delusion whatsoever and I must share my word with the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
C'mon, just because someone notes something about a particular trans that he doesn't like, that doesn't mean he's "hating" on it.
Not everyone likes the Step, just like not everyone likes the DCT, or the manual.

We really don't have to go there every time someone makes a comment about their experience and their likes or dislikes.
It could also be that the Step he drove wasn't up to par.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #56
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:

Woah there, have you even read this thread? ... I'm not saying the AT in this car is a bad one ...

blah blah blah

Finally, you are more than welcome to come check out my flatscreen TV.
Actually maybe you should read your own thread. You did say "The AT is terrible in my opinion" no? And your post subject reads " At the risk of being flamed" ... so you can't complain about being flamed.

And yes I would like to come over to check out your flatscreen. What's your wife making for lunch?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #57
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Forgot to multi-quote this, my bad. Alright, you may be absolutely right, I honestly don't know. I'm just going off of the fact that most of the cars I research are at least a few ticks faster in a MT, and it was my understanding that that was also the case with the 135i (Edmunds, Car and Driver, ect.)
Not a problem, it's an assumption made by many others as well including myself a while back. Believe me the thought of a stepronic equipped one was the last thing on my mind. To give you an even better scenario after the test drive we parked next to a new white/red 6mt 135i and he asked if we wanted to test drive it and I said no I'm set. Then again I was coming from an E90 335i with the 6mt. I had no complaints about that transmission either.

So honestly it's driver preference. You choose what you will enjoy most and not what others and reviews say.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #58
LaCroix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 335I View Post
Not a problem, it's an assumption made by many others as well including myself a while back. Believe me the thought of a stepronic equipped one was the last thing on my mind. To give you an even better scenario after the test drive we parked next to a new white/red 6mt 135i and he asked if we wanted to test drive it and I said no I'm set. Then again I was coming from an E90 335i with the 6mt. I had no complaints about that transmission either.

So honestly it's driver preference. You choose what you will enjoy most and not what others and reviews say.
Aye, even if the 6AT is faster, I will definitely go with the manual. I'm kind of a MT fanboi.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #59
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Aye, even if the 6AT is faster, I will definitely go with the manual. I'm kind of a MT fanboi.
My 128i is the 4th new BMW I've ordered over the past 12 years - all with MT. And yes, I test drove each model beforehand, but all were automatics. My procedure is to ignore the transmission and concentrate on the rest of the car. Having now owned two 5 speeds and three 6 speeds, I've never been disappointed in a BMW manual transmission, .

Drive whatever 135i you can find and if you like the car, order it with the MT you want - it's as simple as that!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #60
LaCroix
Private
Rep

Bump for the update.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #61
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Well I hope you find your MT to test drive. Just took delivery of my 123d vert in the MT today and I'm, not sorry. Drove the step but not the DCT.

Can't say I've ever really been concerned about times. I'm sure I'm a poor enough driver that someone driving and old fashioned slushbox rather than one of the newer gearboxes would beat me in a drag race (I'm not a keen participant in any case).

If you're like me, like total control of what gear you're in and whether your clutch is in or out, I'm sure you'll want this MT. I believe the MT in the 123d is the same as in the 125 or the 135. If so, it's fantastic. Spent the day in the twisties around the local range and it was fantastic! And this from someone who has spent ten years in MX-5s (Miatas to the Americans) with their great gearboxes.

While I was lucky enough to have driven a 125i with manual, I'd already signed on the dotted line for the 123d MT. You won't be disppointed. Of course, if you are, I'll buy you a beer next time you're in Melbourne (Aus, not FL).

Cheers,
Alf
      08-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #62
mtnbkr512
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135, M Sport, DCT.

LeCroix- I know where you can find a gently used 2010 135 6MT with dealer installed SSK. I know because I'm the one who traded it in.

I broke it in by the book. Never abused it. Changed the oil on my own dime (at BMW Austin) at 1200 and 5000 miles. Car runs perfectly. No mods except for the BMW installed SSK. And I'm a non-smoker. The car had 9400 miles on it when I traded it in. Also, I kept it in the garage.

Why did I trade it? We'll I bitched so much about the incredibly crappy "sound system" that they offered me a BMW trade assist. I ordered a 2011 135 DCT M Sport pretty much loaded except for the Nav. Yes I miss the 6MT-but I'm learning how to drive an auto. I think the DCT is going to be awesome but I havn't really pushed yet as I only have about 600 miles on it.

Here is the car I traded. http://www.bmwofaustin.com/detail-20...d-5808207.html

So if you want to make the trip down I-35 from Oklahoma there is one at BMW Austin as of 8/02/10.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #63
LaCroix
Private
Rep

Hey thanks a lot. That's cool that they did that for you. I did get to drive one though, check the OP again. If I can, I'll be getting one of these soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #64
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr512 View Post
Why did I trade it? We'll I bitched so much about the incredibly crappy "sound system" that they offered me a BMW trade assist.
I always wondered why there were so many complaints about the sound system in the 2009 and 2010 cars until I realized that BMW downgraded the systems from the 2008 cars. I think the system in my '08 sounds decent, then I recently drove a '10 E93 335 with the downgraded system. Talk about a reduction in sound quality. It was certainly pathetic for the price tag on that car.