BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
dogbox46
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport

Costco Kirkland Battery

Has anyone used a Costco Kirkland battery in their 135?

I have a 2012 135 M Sport and unfortunately, I drive very little these days so the battery is acting up. Had to call CAA for a boost for the first time but after driving home, all's well.

Picked up a Kirkland battery at Costco this evening and although the specs seem to match, the new battery is smaller than the original with no vent tube.

Anybody got a Costco experience they'd like to share?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Sorry, nothing on Costco. Be aware that these cars, full of very sensitive electronics, are not very tolerant of variations in power sources, so you want an exact match. Regardless of battery used you'll need registration and coding of your new battery or it will be charged at the wrong rate, shortening its life. Also, get a BMW smart charger(about $60.) or equivalent and plug the car in any time it won't be driven for more than a few days. This will end any battery problems and extend battery service life substantially. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Few miscellaneous comments, not sure all of them will apply.

1. Our cars have smart chargers, so you need to "tell" the ECU that you have a new battery (or pay the dealer to do so). The scan tool is $50-ish I think - search the forums, it's been done before. My car is new enough that I have not yet had to change the battery, but the stealership wanted $400 for a new battery on my parent's E90 a couple years back - a high price, but not atypical unfortunately.

If you don't code your computer, it will kill your new battery in short order by overcharging (or is it undercharging? one of those).

2. Our cars come with AGM batteries, which I believe last significantly longer than normal lead acid batteries. I'm not sure if the Costco battery is an AGM battery (I would bet not), and I am not sure if normal lead acid batteries are compatible with our cars. Furthermore, if they are indeed compatible I don't know if there is a different setting in the ECU computer to provide a different "charge profile" or whatever it is. Someone with more experience should chime in here.

3. I think no vent tube is not good, especially with a trunk mount battery. Again, I will let someone else chime in.

4. All that aside, Costco batteries are good stuff beyond the potential BMW specific issues. Always been highly rated by Consumer Reports, good value, and they last a long time in my family's other non-BMW cars.

---edit---
Forgot there was a sticky on this topic here already. Read to your heart's content.

Last edited by Texan Engineer; 10-25-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1