BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
HaroonBalushi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Oil cap/internal milky

I took my car for an oil change today, the technician notified me that there were milky like on the cap and internals (pictures below). He told me that the engine oil filter and gasket gone bad and he would recommend that I change them or it could be just condensation.
I read couple of threads regarding this and people say it's no big deal.
My question is, is it okay if I drive the car for an 8 hours trip from Cleveland to Maryland or is it too risky?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

What sort of driving do you do? Short trips? If so, it's probably condensation. A nice long drive that gets and keeps the engine at operating temperature will likely clear it up. If, on the other hand, that's the kind of driving you normally do, there's a chance something is indeed wrong internally. Pressure testing the cooling system will give a definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
HaroonBalushi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
What sort of driving do you do? Short trips? If so, it's probably condensation. A nice long drive that gets and keeps the engine at operating temperature will likely clear it up. If, on the other hand, that's the kind of driving you normally do, there's a chance something is indeed wrong internally. Pressure testing the cooling system will give a definitive answer.
Quote:

Well mostly short trips, like 10 mins drive to work back and forth and sometimes on the weekends I take it for a cruise.
Thank you though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

That's your problem. Ten minutes is not enough time to get the engine up to temperature so that the condensation that forms naturally inside can evaporate. Instead, it mixes with the oil in the coldest areas of the engine, forming the emulsion you see. Drive it harder for longer periods and it should clear itself up.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
That's your problem. Ten minutes is not enough time to get the engine up to temperature so that the condensation that forms naturally inside can evaporate. Instead, it mixes with the oil in the coldest areas of the engine, forming the emulsion you see. Drive it harder for longer periods and it should clear itself up.
Exactly 100% this. And during the week give it a good run or two as well. At a minimum start it up 5-10 minutes before you drive so that the drive itself completes a true warm-up cycle.
Appreciate 0