BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

How long between extended cranking and hpfp failure

Very first sign of this I was at a gas station, filled her up, hopped in and started it up, and it was running like complete crap like it was missing 2 cyl... check engine lights etc, turned it off and turned it back on and it started right up liek normal.

I've taken it to a dealer a while ago, and they basically took the car for the weekend, and performed tests. It was basically implied it wasnt yet within the replacement thresholds, but would likely fail any time.

That was about 2mo ago, since then my car has been doing the long crank stuff on start. One day I didnt drive it, and the next day I went to start it, and it literally went for about 45 seconds before it finally sputtered into a running motor.

I understand warranty procedures etc, but have to wonder if my car might run better after replacement (I get terrible idle and real laggy off the line). Its also kinda embarrassing when the car just sits there and cranks and cranks and cranks.

I realize this is all up in the air as far as how soon you guys get complete failure (and whether there are any signs ahead of that)

So the question is, should I just deal wiht it? Is it likely to happen soon? I want the sucker fixed, but I dont want to be one of those guys at the dealership. I just dont want to end up stranded.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

I would demand that it be fixed it immediately. Ask them what will happen if the car dies in the middle of the night. Is BMW Assist going to pick you up and take you home and drop your car off at the dealer? Probably not. They know it's going to die, and it's going to die soon.

I was having intermittent long cranks, but by long I mean 3-5 seconds, for a few weeks, and a few times I felt hesitation during acceleration. Then this past weekend I had multiple long cranks. I called the Monday morning and scheduled an appointment, they told me they should be able to fix it even though I didn't have an SES light yet. As it was the light came on later that day and I took it right in for replacement.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
My car variable turns over and cranks instantly or can take up to 5 secs or so to start. This has been going on for 3+ months and 3k or so miles. I think many are like this for a very long time, whereas some fuel pumps go with no warning.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Mine has had long crank symptoms for at least 10 months. What does work a majority of the time, however, is turning on the auxiliary and waiting ~5 seconds for the pump to engage and then starting her up. I don't get as many long cranks as once before.

Last edited by TunedM2C; 06-04-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
neteagle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Mine has had long crank symptoms for at least 10 months. What does work a majority of the time, however, is turning on the auxillary and waiting ~5 seconds for the pump to engage and then starting her up. I don't get as many long cranks as once before.
Not sure why that would work...the pump spools up as soon as you open the door...if it is taking that long to come up to pressure then there is a problem...

...my first pump failed within days of my first long crank...my second one has cranked long several times but has not failed...although it is hesitating and clearly not working right anymore...but has yet to limp...grrrr.

'11 335i Le Mans Blue, Saddle, Dark Glacier, Manual, M-Sport, Premium, CA, Harman Kardon, Heated Seats, iPod, High Beam assist, 35% tint, Stone-X, BMW Performance Exhaust, Shadow Grill, CF competition spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

6 days for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I experienced long crank times but never any power loss. I took it to my dealer playing naive, just complaining abut the long crank but made no mention of a fuel pump.

He said they'd need it for 3 days. I just acted surprised about it and asked why. They told me it was the fuel pump.

The didn't even look at it, just on the spot: fuel pump.

So, thankfully, I've never experienced power loss or a check engine light and I got the newer fuel pump now so hopefully I never will.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

As soon as I started experiencing the extended cranks I demanded they replace it before it failed...and they did.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

My long cranks were very few and far between. First was within two months. Maybe 3 more times over the next 6 months before the SES. I brought it in twice to have it checked out, they "could not replicate" and sent me off one week before failure.

My pump was never replaced, simply updated and sent off. No issues since.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
kalvar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT All-Black

My long cranks and SES light turning on briefly started less than 2 weeks ago ('09 135i coupe; 7300 miles); dropped by dealership today and they replaced it on the spot without any questions (3 hrs apprx). Not sure if I should be happy with customer service, or pissed that I needed it. Good luck to all!
Appreciate 0