BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Berk Technology Victorious at Redline Time Attack!

This past weekend the Berk Technology crew headed up to Buttonwillow Raceway for what would turn out to be an incredible event. It was the 2010 Redline Time Attack season opener and the rumors were flying about who was showing up, who wasn’t showing up, which new teams are going to be fast, and which lap records will fall. After a long dry spell of placing just outside of the podium in the Street Tire RWD class all last year, the Berk Technology crew worked tirelessly through the off-season making minor, but necessary improvements to our Time Attack BMW 135i.

Even though we started preparing for this event long in advance, things still came down to the wire with parts for the car arriving much later than anticipated. The Berk Technology crew worked through the nights taking naps at the shop in between marathon sessions of working on the car. The team and the car finally arrived at the hotel in Buttonwillow at 2:00am Saturday morning, about six hours before our first practice session. With the majority of the changes made to the car being un-tested on the track there was only one thing to do, find out if our hard work had paid off.

The car was performing great in Saturday practice. The Hankook RS3 tires were performing very well and the car was just launching out of corners with the new OS Giken Super Lock LSD. More horsepower came by way of an AEM Electronics water/methanol injection kit and custom GIAC tune. The KW Variant 3 coilovers worked great as well and the APR Performance rear wing and front splitter helped keep the car planted through turns. The only issue we were having with the car was boiling the brake fluid. Normally we run custom brake ducting to the front brakes to keep the temperature down within range, however our new front splitter mounting design would not allow us to re-use them and we simply ran out of time to make a new set. Unfortunately the timing system was not up to the task on Saturday so we really had no idea on how these new mods improved our lap time.

Sunday was competition day and the morning started out with two practice sessions. After making a few dampening adjustments based on Saturday’s testing, Mike Bonanni headed out on track to get a qualifying time. Mike came in with a qualifying time of 1:59.319 which was a full two seconds faster than our car had ever gone around Buttonwillow Raceway! That time qualified Mike in 1st place in Street Tire RWD after the first practice session! Satisfied with our qualifying effort and how the car was handling, we decided to sit out the second practice session. After the second practice session Bonanni and the Berk Technology 135i retained the pole position in Street Tire RWD heading into the first of two time attack rounds.

We had slapped a fresh set of Hankook RS3 tires on the car for the first round of the time attack, however the track temperature had raised tremendously since the morning practice session making the track much slower. With the slippery track conditions we weren’t sure if we would be able to beat our morning practice session time, but we knew that all of the other competitors were having to deal with the same slower track conditions so we set our sights on keeping that number one spot. Bonanni took to the track for the first time attack session and right out of the gate set a blazing fast lap time of 1:58.839 setting a new track record for the Redline Time Attack Street Tire RWD class! At the end of the first round, we were the only Street Tire RWD car to break the 2:00.000 barrier putting us in 1st place heading into the second and final round. That lap time also moved us up to 1st place overall in the Street Tire Class heading into round #2!

With a comfortable lead in our class and a new track record in our hands we decided to make a few tire pressure adjustments in an effort to see if we could get even better handling out of our car for the second round. With the second round at the hottest part of the day, we knew that the track would be slower making it even harder to better what we had already done. Unfortunately the car didn’t like the adjustments we had made and paired with the hotter track conditions we were not able to better our time from round #1.

Without knowing final times from the second session we were anxious to hear the results to see if our first round lap time would hold. Fortunately for us, it did and we were the only Street Tire RWD class car to break the 2:00.000 barrier handing us the win, the track record, a new track record for a BMW 135i, and a new personal best for that track!

“As the driver, I have the easy job. The crew at Berk Technology who spent countless hours working on the car and our incredible sponsors are who really made this possible.” – Mike Bonanni

We could not be happier with the results and are extremely excited to kick off this 2010 with a bang! We would like to thank all of our sponsors who helped us make the right improvements to the car to get it to the top of the podium and in the record books: OS Giken, KW Suspension, Rotora Brakes, APEX Wheels, APR Performance, SEIBON Carbon, Velocity Motorcars, Vivid Racing, AEM Electronics, VFiber, GIAC, and DRIFTENVY Clothing. And a special thank you to Hankook Tire for your support over the weekend!

Aside from our own personal victory with our 135i, another Berk Technology team member found himself on the podium this past weekend. Ed Lee and his Berk Technology sponsored Honda S2000 took home 2nd Place in the Enthusiast RWD class with a lap time of 2:02.845, less than a second off of 1st place! Congratulations Ed!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

looks like those wheels and M3 parts helped! solid!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
looks like those wheels and M3 parts helped! solid!
They sure did! As did the rest of the new parts for the car. The OS Giken limited slip differential and Hankook RS3 tires are amazing and the motor was solid as a rock with the AEM water/meth kit and GIAC tune. Putting down around 365whp on GIAC's mustang dyno so figure around 400whp on a Dynojet if the 10% rule holds true. Very safe and conservative tune as the car has to drive home after the event in one piece.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

congratulations! Wish i coulda been there . What size tank and what size nozzle do you use for meth/water injection? Also what size tires and wheels are on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
congratulations! Wish i coulda been there . What size tank and what size nozzle do you use for meth/water injection? Also what size tires and wheels are on the car ?
Thanks!

We had a 5 gallon tank in the car but after an entire weekend we barely made a dent in it so we are going to switch to a 1 gallon and save around 33 lbs. of weight. We used the 115cc nozzle.

The wheels are 18x8.5" front 18x9.5" rear with 245/40/18 front 265/35/18 rear tires for that event.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

why did you guys choose such a small nozzle? I was expecting something from 300-450ccm.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
why did you guys choose such a small nozzle? I was expecting something from 300-450ccm.
During the tuning session there was not a need to run the larger nozzle. The AEM meth kit includes the 115cc, 315cc, & 550cc jets. When we decide to make 450rwhp we will go with the larger jet at that time. For now the 365rwhp from the GIAC tune is great and most importantly NO LIMP MODES!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Car looks great. When are you guys going to step up to 255/275 since the wheels/car can handle it
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
Car looks great. When are you guys going to step up to 255/275 since the wheels/car can handle it
Thanks! We went with Hankook tires this round and they don't offer those sizes. 245/265 is as big as we could go. The next size up from them is 285.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
They sure did! As did the rest of the new parts for the car. The OS Giken limited slip differential and Hankook RS3 tires are amazing and the motor was solid as a rock with the AEM water/meth kit and GIAC tune. Putting down around 365whp on GIAC's mustang dyno so figure around 400whp on a Dynojet if the 10% rule holds true. Very safe and conservative tune as the car has to drive home after the event in one piece.
what sways are you guys running this year?

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Congrats, car looks great! Congrats to ER as well! Will you guys be coming to Vegas later this month? If so, I'm there!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 04-02-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
what sways are you guys running this year?
M3 sways

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Congrats, car looks great! Congrats to ER as well! Will you guys be coming to Vegas later this month? If so, I'm there!
For sure!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Sweet!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Congrats to Mikey and the crew!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #15
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Congrats to the guys at Berk! I shouldn't have given you guys brake fluid!!! hehe just playing. Good competition.

I'll have our post race write up on here soon too. Been a crazy 3 weeks for us with the race last weekend and moving to our new facility this week. I need a day off...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #16
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Thanks! Yes, we'll be at Vegas later this month going at it again. Well, that is if we have any tires to race on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Sounds great! Hope you find tires. See you guys there!

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Really enjoyed the video too:
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Hey Bryan -

When you guys were running the Nitto NT-01s, what kind of hot pressures were you finding to be best? I've got my first track event this weekend and it would be great to have some reference data.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

@BerkTechnology

How did the driver handle the torque of this car with 245s? I bet he had to pedal it out of turns not to loose the rear end. The car makes a lot of torque, I'm sure it made up most of its time in the straights no?
      04-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #21
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Hey Bryan -

When you guys were running the Nitto NT-01s, what kind of hot pressures were you finding to be best? I've got my first track event this weekend and it would be great to have some reference data.

Thanks!
We've been running the car on a strict diet of street tire rubber, haven't run R-Comps on the car yet. Shoot for 35-40 hot. Depending on your weather start them at 28-32 cold pressures, then work your way down from there. Scott would probably give you a better answer than me since they strictly run NT01's.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
@BerkTechnology

How did the driver handle the torque of this car with 245s? I bet he had to pedal it out of turns not to loose the rear end. The car makes a lot of torque, I'm sure it made up most of its time in the straights no?
The car has 265s on the rear actually and 245s up front, but its still not near enough tire for the car's weigh/power. The OS Giken LSD and the fact that the Hankook RS3 is a pretty grippy tire made it manageable on corner exit, but I am sure some 285s would be a huge help in being able to get on the throttler both earlier and harder. Just gotta do some fender work to make those fit. In a perfect world I think 285 front, 305 rear would be KILLER on this car, but we are limited to a max width of 285mm in our class anyway.

Last edited by BerkTechnology; 04-08-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0