BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Low coolant sign then coolant splatter near expansion tank.

Yesterday I had the low coolant sign pop up so I topped off my fluid in the expansion tank and it was fine, and then today when I started the car it said low again so I turned it off and topped it off again thinking wtf. It was fine the rest of the day with no low coolant signs but when I got home my girlfriend said my car smelled weird so popped the hood and found this. Idk what to think of it. Is there a spot at the bottom of the tank that expels extra fluid out or something? It looks like it could have maybe leaked from the bleeder screw or cap but they're both tight and It wasn't doing this before. Any idea? I let the car idle and checked around with a flashlight and didn't see any spots where it was spilling out so I think it just randomly squirts out idk
Attached Images

JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
codean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

There is a drain around the lip of the filler that allows coolant to drain out the side/bottom.

Your expansion tank may have a small crack in it. A pressure check with a hand pump style tester would likely show where the issue is. This would be the first thing to check other than making sure the cap is sealing properly tightened fully.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

I think that may be what's going on because I had my girlfriend rev it while I checked around and it's not squirting out from anywhere. It looks like it just does it once then stops
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll try to get my hands on a pressure checker, how many psi should it hold?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Konakona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i Le Mans Blue Msport DCT

This exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Its probably a crack in your reservoir tank, warranty took care of it.
      07-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
codean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

You shouldn't have to push it past 15 psi to find where the leak is.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Similar thing happened to me. The bleed screw had perished.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

I got a new cap from the dealer since it was so cheap and It may have fixed it since I haven't had a low coolant sign today but we will see. Also I'm throwing code 2EF4 which Is something about the thermostat? Maybe this has something to do with it. My car has new thermostat and waterpump tho
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx View Post
I got a new cap from the dealer since it was so cheap and It may have fixed it since I haven't had a low coolant sign today but we will see. Also I'm throwing code 2EF4 which Is something about the thermostat? Maybe this has something to do with it. My car has new thermostat and waterpump tho
Sounds like a bad thermostat. Just because it's a new part doesn't mean it is a GOOD part! Drive the car and see if that code come back.

You might want to read this thread...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647001

I hope that cap fixed your leak. But I also suspect a bad expansion tank or loose/damaged bleed screw.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

That is a possibility but wouldn't my heater not work if the thermostat was stuck open? I checked today and it worked fine.
I'll keep updating but so far no more leak
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Btw already read that thread but thanks and also the Code is still present.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Leak came back looks like the expansion tank is next, question about bleeding system. Do I HAVE to have a battery charger when i bleed or can I do it with no charger and turn everything off?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Leak came back looks like the expansion tank is next, question about bleeding system. Do I HAVE to have a battery charger when i bleed or can I do it with no charger and turn everything off?
It would be better to use a battery charger, but you probably could bleed the system without one. A leaking expansion tank still doesn't explain that thermostat code. ?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
It would be better to use a battery charger, but you probably could bleed the system without one. A leaking expansion tank still doesn't explain that thermostat code. ?
Yeah I know I talked to my tech who does the warranty work and he said to take care of the leak first and to reset the code because maybe air got into the system? I'm going to try that and if it doesn't work then I'll take it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #15
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Bump from the dead: this stuff is still going on randomly and I'm still getting that same code.
Went to Disneyland for vacation and got stuck on the I-5 with coolant spewing out of the tank, then I got home from vacation and replaced the tank and all was well for a little.
Until tonight it started leaking from around the cap again. I noticed that it only does it if oil temps reach 250 and right before it happens oil temps go up noticeably quick. I think the reason It stopped happening after I replaced the cap is because i usually take pretty short trips where my car doesn't reach 250 but I was driving a little harder tonight and it did.
Any ideas of what could be going on? I have a new cap and tank now and it's still doing it. I'm thinking over-pressurizing? I still think water pump and Thermo have been done but i never officially got the receipts on it. Just took PO word because he had so many others.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: checked codes and didn't have the thermostat one. But I did have 2DED which is electronics and 2FBE which has something to do with fuel pressure, and 30ff which doesn't make sense because my car hits target boost. Sounds to me like these are just codes being caused by the jb4 and it didn't pick up a thermostat one
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
monkeypotomus
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport DCT

Your symptoms sound similar to what I experienced (coolant low several times (over months, not everyday), topped tank and leaking coolant through cap (i assume because pressure built up), but I did not have the tools to read the codes... car eventually overheated, and went into limp mode with similar symptoms....took car to dealer (still under CPO) and it was a bad water pump (which appears to be a very common issue)
I was thinking stuck thermostat for sure.....
Thermostat was reported to be fine (although if I was doing it myself I would have replaced at the same time)...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypotomus
Your symptoms sound similar to what I experienced (coolant low several times (over months, not everyday), topped tank and leaking coolant through cap (i assume because pressure built up), but I did not have the tools to read the codes... car eventually overheated, and went into limp mode with similar symptoms....took car to dealer (still under CPO) and it was a bad water pump (which appears to be a very common issue)
I was thinking stuck thermostat for sure.....
Thermostat was reported to be fine (although if I was doing it myself I would have replaced at the same time)...
Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure the waterpump and Thermo was done by the PO Since he had records of everything else but next time the code comes up I'll probably take it in and see what my warranty wants to replace. It's possible I could have gotten a bad part when it got replaced. I think I'm going to re bleeding the system again
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

This is just a stab in the dark but how about recording the sound when you bleed the system. Maybe one of the guys here that work at BMW can hear if there is an obvious problem with the pump??
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #20
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch
This is just a stab in the dark but how about recording the sound when you bleed the system. Maybe one of the guys here that work at BMW can hear if there is an obvious problem with the pump??
I'm bleeding it as we speak and I can definitely hear the water pump moving. I'll take a video!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #21
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone know when the electric fan is supposed to turn on? I noticed that since I turned off max cool I haven't heard it lately,
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #22
joe86
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135 coupe

If it happens when you hit stop and go traffic or drive slow speeds and is fine on the freeway it may be the fan but if the fan comes on while max a/c is on and there is no fault for the fan then it is probably ok. Usually if your engine is overheating there will be a fault thrown and car will go into limp mode. Makes me think you are overfilling the coolant reservoir. Overfilling will cause coolant cap to release excess coolant/psi. Stop filling as soon as float is at the top of its travel. Also check front of radiator/condenser for blockage such as a plastic bag. Check for kinked hoses. Never use radiator stop leak as it can cause clogs. Only use bmw blue coolant mixed with distilled water. Always use battery charger when bleeding system otherwise bleeding may terminate early. Make sure there is no oil film in coolant tank from a leaking oil filter housing gasket.
Appreciate 0