BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

ESS Direct Flash for 125i

I have had an ESS Direct Flash for 125i sitting here waiting for a customer to install it for a while now and I've decided to put it out there to see if anyone else wants it, I offer it to anyone not necessarily for customers in Melbourne, i am happy to let it go as a unit, not looking for an install specifically anymore. Originally i was going to do some dyno's and some real world runs on video and with data logging of his current tune, then i was going to go back to stock and do the same measurements and then finally install the ESS flash tune via OBD and compare those differences. Although this is not all and all i look for in a tune as comparisons go, i thought it might help with some of the basics that people look for when looking to compare tunes for their 125i's. With the final results of the testing we would have data of power and torque increase on local cars rather than rely on published data.

This tune box offers the end user to be able to install the tune file to their own car. The kit comes with a flash device, cables to connect to computer and OBD and a USB stick with the install instructions. The idea is that the end user can read the cars file and send the file into ESS, they in turn will reply with a tune file for the car. They can supply you with a modified file if you have supporting mods that requires a different file. The tune box has the ability to hold up to 10 files at any given time which allows for great flexibility but the deal maker is that it allows you to hold your original file, so in the event you had an issue and wanted to take your car back to BMW, you could flash your original file back to the BMW computer.

Now there is no published data specifically for 125i, i have asked ESS and they do have something available for the 125i. The closest i can find is this off the ESS website(www.esstuning.com)

Direct link http://www.esstuning.com/products/N5...-Software.html

Product Description
ESS N52B30 ESS DirectFlash Performance ECU software is a result of extensive testing and exact calibration of ECU parameters to allow considerable performance gains on an otherwise stock car. The ESS N52B30 performance software is developed and tested in extreme heat in the Arizona desert as well as extreme cold temperatures in Scandinavia. The ESS performance software has updated throttle control, vanos, valvetronic, ign timing, AFR programming and improves overall engine response and performance.

Power rating :

x25i 3.0 215/218hp models : +13HP, 17ft/lbs
x28i 230hp models : +10HP, 14ft/lbs
x30i 255/258hp models : +6HP, 8ft/lbs
x30i 272hp models : +3HP, 5ft/lbs

When ordering this product you will receive 1 ESS DirectFlash handheld programmer which will VIN lock to your car. This unit can be used to program between stock and tuned, and it can also be used to load custom files/race fuel files/updates received from ESS over email. The ESS DirectFlash unit can hold up to 10 tunes + stock, allowing the end user full control over what file program they want to run at any given time.

Part number: 101-104
Top Speed Governor: Removed
Fuel requirement: 91US/95Euro and above

As i said above, the results we going to be tested to see if they are valid on local cars but that is the closest i could find to our spec 125i's. From previous dealings with ESS, i would be confident that the results would be fairly accurate and would work solidly as they work with Euro spec software primarily.

The unit looks like this

The unit comes pre packages like this

So for the people that would like control over the tune they put into their cars and like the idea of personal installation, without the need to send your ECU overseas then this could be an option for you. I have used this 'flash at home' type device before on an M5 and it works very well, i do like the idea of having control of the install without sending the ECU overseas, but also the ability to flash back to stock if required. ESS were always available to me via email when i needed questions answered and i find them easy to deal with.

So in Summary i have a Direct flash unit in stock, brand new, ready to go for 125i for sale. I'm not really looking to do comparisons like i previously was, and happy to sell it to anyone who wants it for there own DIY install. I am asking $925 for the unit, plus shipping if required.(overnight bag $15)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

oh baby that's tempting.
Do ESS supply the tune files free of charge, or do you then pay for software on top of the hardware?
      05-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

It comes as part of your package price, when you read the file, you email it into ESS and they will ask you what mods the car has and then they will send a file back to you.

This product will also work for 135i people, so if anyone wants this, let me know.
Appreciate 0