BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

M2 Musings

I'm at my favorite coffeeshop, the sun is shining gently outside and, with colleges back in full swing, the scenery is simply excellent .

I am also working half a Saturday because my predecessor staffed a project team with incompetent #%@^@

But it's too nice of a day to get too worked up, so I'm taking a break and playing my favorite game: what will the successor to my favorite BMW of all time, be like?

The probability % are basically pulled out of my all-knowing @$$. Feel free to dissent politely (you can do it impolitely too, but we'll all just know you're a troll)
Engine:4-cylinder gasoline (85%). 350 - 375 HP (80%). 350 - 400 lb/ft (90%)

Conventional wisdom may indicate another I-6. It is almost inconceivable that the 'real' M will have 2 cylinders less than the M135, but I think BMW intends the 2-series to be the toes dipped into the ocean of fan-opinion. The 1M spearheaded the move to turbo charging M cars and the M2 will give the company a chance to show what they can do with 'just' 4 cylinders. I don't expect any hybrid tech to be offered. The 2-series will be positioned as a 'pure' petrolhead experience much like the next gen M3/4.

Drive train: RWD (100%). M (E) Diff (100%). Torque Vectoring (85%).

Like the 1M, the drive train will be introduced in the F80 M3. Expect massive fender flares!

Weight: 1200 - 1300 kg. (65%)

I think the M2 will undercut the 1M by 50-100 kg through the use of CF and other composites. CF roof maybe optional. About 2 years into the life cycle, a CSL otopn will be made available further reducing the weight by a 100 or so KG.

Price: US$ 50k - 52k base. $65k fully optioned (65%)

Taking the 1M as the baseline and assuming around a 10% increase to the base price to account for inflation and the fact that the M2 will generate a great deal of hype by simply being the successor to the 1M, it is likely that the first batch of M2s may command dealer premiums well over MSRP. About 3 months into the availability of the M2 will probably be a good time to buy a 1M.

Looks: A brawnier, angrier version of the M235 that we've already seen (100%)

Thoughts?
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Engine:4-cylinder gasoline (85%). 350 - 375 HP (80%). 350 - 400 lb/ft (90%)
Agreed, I too am hoping for an I6 and that they leave the 3cyl and 4cyl to the new/upcoming fwd 1 series
Conventional wisdom may indicate another I-6. It is almost inconceivable that the 'real' M will have 2 cylinders less than the M135, but I think BMW intends the 2-series to be the toes dipped into the ocean of fan-opinion. The 1M spearheaded the move to turbo charging M cars and the M2 will give the company a chance to show what they can do with 'just' 4 cylinders. I don't expect any hybrid tech to be offered. The 2-series will be positioned as a 'pure' petrolhead experience much like the next gen M3/4.

Drive train: RWD (100%). M (E) Diff (100%). Torque Vectoring (85%).

Like the 1M, the drive train will be introduced in the F80 M3. Expect massive fender flares!

Weight: 1200 - 1300 kg. (65%)
2645.55 - 2866.009 lbs will likely be hard to hit. I wonder if they will separate the chassis ala F80 vs F30 for a lighter M model. Curb weight on the 1M was 1495kg / 3296lbs so I am betting a 100lb drop.
I think the M2 will undercut the 1M by 50-100 kg through the use of CF and other composites. CF roof maybe optional. About 2 years into the life cycle, a CSL otopn will be made available further reducing the weight by a 100 or so KG.

Price: US$ 50k - 52k base. $65k fully optioned (65%)
I hope its 48-50k but when a current gen 135is has that MSRP there will likely be a bump in price.
Taking the 1M as the baseline and assuming around a 10% increase to the base price to account for inflation and the fact that the M2 will generate a great deal of hype by simply being the successor to the 1M, it is likely that the first batch of M2s may command dealer premiums well over MSRP. About 3 months into the availability of the M2 will probably be a good time to buy a 1M.

Looks: A brawnier, angrier version of the M235 that we've already seen (100%)
I am not digging the new 2 series as of yet. Maybe it'll grow on me. Just not digging the rear half at all.

Thoughts?
Great piece I hope they fix up the rear. I also hope that the price point is 50k even as MSRP. Rest is in bold
Appreciate 0