BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Removing rear side interior panel of vert

I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the side trim panel of the rear seats in the vert or knows where I can find this info? I installed a license plate light rearview camera a few months ago using a wireless transmitter and while it helps out immensely I want to replace them with a video cable from the trunk to the center console. I found the instructions for removing the center console, just have not come across details for the rear interior side panels of the vert.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Pull the back seats up and out, then it should become much more clear to you. It's only a few screws.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the reply. The only screws I can see are in the two holes for the windscreen. There must be clips somewhere to keep it tight against the body and I did not want to try pulling without knowing where they are and how they fasten.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
The panels are tricky to get at, but only because there is a bunch of other stuff in the way. They are actually held onto the car by 4 plastic fasteners (they sort of slide onto them), plus the screws in the holes, and then (IIRC) 3 metal clips at the top.

Off the top of my head from when I removed/cleaned the rear windows:

Drop the top

Yank seat bases, then backs (assuming this is already done).

Remove the front seatbelt covering and unbolt them. Each is held on with one bolt+ washer, but get the proper torx adapter for them. Don't want to mess with the bolts holding the seatbelts in place, do you?

Remove the top cover thingie that the seatbelts were bolted through. They pull up with a little force, but don't go yanking on them like the hulk. There are two lines that attach to the flaps that open/close depending on whether the top is up or down. (And wow that is a bad description.) Those don't need to be detached, since you are after clips at the top holding the interior panel onto the car. They are metal and should be relatively easy to push out if you have undone the screws in the windscreen holes.

Next comes the weather seals, and this is where my brain gets a little fuzzy on what exactly needs to be removed. Basically, to remove the panel you are going to end up sliding it forwards about an inch to release it from the 4 plastic clips holding it in place. My recollection is they all need to be removed.

For the rear window seal (the one that folds down): I took a plastic interior tool to the part that was folded flat in the doorjamb. It has a nib that slides into a hole into the doorframe that holds it flush. Once that is released, then VERY CAREFULLY wiggle the window portion up. DO NOT pry it up at one end only, you do not want to bend this thing, its some stupidly outrageous price for a new one. Just get the non flappy end to move a tad, then move an inch or so and get that to move, and so on. When I put mine back on, I stuck some lithium grease in the channel as well, but that is mainly because I was on a rattle hunt.

You will also have to remove the main weatherseal that runs along there as well. That one ends under the rear window seal IIRC, and just pulls off. A hint, however, is to remove the plastic cover on the floor it runs into. Thats held on by clips that you can just pull up to undo (although they may have to be respaced on the trim or may stay on the floor), but makes reinstalling the panel much easier in my opinion.

To remove the panel, just slide it forward (I think... might be backwards. Theres enough room with the rear seats removed to take a peak at one of the clips and how its mounted though).

Oh, and order some interior panel clips. There is a decent likelihood that at least one will break when you remove the panel. The different colors don't matter (according to my dealership).

And when you get the panels off... get yourself a margarita. Because they can be really annoying the first time you do it. Also: margaritas are awesome (and I'm on my second as I type this!)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the detailed reply. That seems to be a fair amount of effort. May just remove the bottom and back rear seats and see if I can run it there instead of removing the panel. Really do not want to deal with the window and seals. I have removed the bottom rear seats but not the backs - do they just pull out like the bottoms? Also is there a good service manual available for the car (have not searched but going to after posting this).

Thanks
Appreciate 0