BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Rear shock compatibility

Anyone know if the rear shocks on the 1M have the same stroke as on the M3? That is, is the distance from lower camber link to the rear shock mount on the body, the same?

I might like to try using the 1M shocks on a 328i. The cars are very close in weight. Not sure what to do on the front of the car to match the rears, though!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
Anyone know if the rear shocks on the 1M have the same stroke as on the M3? That is, is the distance from lower camber link to the rear shock mount on the body, the same?

I might like to try using the 1M shocks on a 328i. The cars are very close in weight. Not sure what to do on the front of the car to match the rears, though!
No, it will not work unless you also change the 328i's rear lower camber link to the 1M/M3 style. 1M/M3 rear shock is eye to pin where your none M car is pin to pin mount.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
No, it will not work unless you also change the 328i's rear lower camber link to the 1M/M3 style. 1M/M3 rear shock is eye to pin where your none M car is pin to pin mount.
True! It requires "a few extra parts to be installed" :-) Sounds like it will transfer.

The M3 shocks would work too, but the 1M is closer in weight, and would be more in tune with the springs I currently have.
Appreciate 0