BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Small, Black, Strong - Interview with Albert Biermann on the 1M Coupé

M-Power.com just released an interview with Albert Biermann, Head of Development BMW M, giving away some more details on the 1 Series M Coupé.

At a glance:
  • Engine: 3.0l biturbo inline 6 with about 340 hp (in other words: N54)
  • Weight: About 1,500kg or 3,300 lbs
  • Transmission: 6MT only
  • Chassis, brakes and rear diff shared with the M3
  • Nuerburgring 'Nordschleife': Ten seconds faster than the E46 M3 (Sportauto lapped the E46 M3 in 8:22)
  • Price: Somewhere between the 135i and M3, but closer to the 135i
  • Full details to come in Mid December
Full Interview:
Small, black, strong – this is the figure presented by most of the prototypes for the BMW 1 Series M Coupé while they are lapping up their test kilometres. As early as July, the Managing Director of BMW M GmbH, Dr Kay Segler, revealed some initial details on the latest addition to the M family.

Name:  1MC_AB_01.jpg
Views: 5704
Size:  285.9 KB
Albert Biermann

In early October the international press has now been given its first driving impression of the present level of development. On this occasion, Albert Biermann, Head of Development at BMW M GmbH, provides further details on the BMW 1 Series M Coupé.

M-Power.com: Mr Biermann, what makes the 1 Series M Coupé so special?
Biermann: In my opinion, the 1 Series M Coupé is completely in the tradition of the first BMW M3. It is compact, focused on the essential, and presents outstanding driving dynamics. In addition, it opens the door to BMW M – in particular its price will also make it more accessible than our other products.

Name:  1MC_AB_02.jpg
Views: 6126
Size:  170.7 KB

M-Power.com: Where will the price be then?
Biermann: The price has not been fixed yet. However, I’m sure that it will lie somewhere between the 135i Coupé and the M3 Coupé, with a clear tendency towards the 135i.

M-Power.com: What will the customers be getting for their money?
Biermann: The BMW 1 Series M Coupé is driven by a 3.0 litre inline six cylinder bi turbo engine delivering about 340 hp. This power is transferred exclusively via a six speed manual gearbox. A closer look at the prototypes will reveal many similarities to the chassis, brakes, and rear differential of the BMW M3.

Name:  1MC_AB_03.jpg
Views: 6021
Size:  365.1 KB

M-Power.com: So what we have is a small BMW M3?
Biermann: To a certain extent, absolutely. Yet, on the other hand, not really. There are parallels between the power and weight of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé (we expect about 1500 kg) and the BMW M3 E46. On the performance side, though, it will be in its own league. We assume that the 1 Series M Coupé will be about ten seconds faster than the M3 predecessor on the Nordschleife. And of course it will have its own particular character.

Name:  1MC_AB_04.jpg
Views: 6173
Size:  356.5 KB
BMW 1 series M Coupé Testdrive

M-Power.com: Its own particular character is also shown in the first design details. What can we expect here?
Biermann: Of course, we can’t disclose all of the details today. A number of distinctive design details can already be viewed on the internet. In addition, you can expect to find the usual M icons both inside and outside. However, one figure I can give you: the BMW 1 Series M Coupé will be about 80 mm wider than the 135i.

Name:  1MC_AB_05.jpg
Views: 5696
Size:  159.2 KB
80mm wider...

Name:  1MC_AB_06.jpg
Views: 6182
Size:  350.0 KB

M-Power.com: When can we expect further details?
Biermann: We’ll be announcing all details on the BMW 1 Series M Coupé in mid December. Until then, there is a constant stream of news at M-Power.com. The world premiere of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé will be held at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2011, and vehicles will be delivered to the first customers in early summer.

Name:  1MC_AB_07.jpg
Views: 5970
Size:  327.1 KB

Thank you, Mr Biermann, for the interview.
Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

German version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Klein. Stark. Schwarz.
Interview mit Albert Biermann.
10. Okt. 10

Klein, stark, schwarz - so spulen derzeit die meisten Prototypen des BMW 1er M Coupés ihre Testkilometer ab. Bereits im Juli hat der Vorsitzende der Geschäftsführung der BMW M GmbH, Dr. Kay Segler, erste Informationen zum jüngsten Spross der M Familie preisgegeben.

Anfang Oktober wurde nun der internationalen Presse ein erster Fahreindruck mit dem aktuellen Entwicklungsstand ermöglicht. Albert Biermann, Entwicklungschef der BMW M GmbH, nennt bei dieser Gelegenheit weitere Einzelheiten zum BMW 1er M Coupé.

M-Power.com: Herr Biermann, was macht das Besondere am 1er M Coupé aus?
Biermann: Das 1er M Coupé steht meiner Meinung nach in der Tradition des ersten BMW M3. Es ist kompakt, fokussiert auf das Wesentliche und bietet überragende Fahrdynamik. Darüber hinaus macht es den Einstieg bei BMW M leichter – gerade auch preislich wird es wesentlich erreichbarer als unsere weiteren Produkte sein.

M-Power.com: Wo wird der Preis denn liegen?
Biermann: Der Preis ist noch nicht festgelegt. Allerdings bin ich mir sicher, dass er zwischen 135i Coupé und M3 Coupé liegen wird, mit einer klaren Tendenz in Richtung 135i.

M-Power.com: Was bekommen die Kunden dafür?

Biermann: Angetrieben wird das BMW 1er M Coupé von einem 3.0 Liter Reihensechszylinder Bi-Turbo Motor mit etwa 340 PS. Die Kraft wird ausschließlich über ein 6-Gang Handschaltgetriebe übertragen. Wer die Prototypen einem genauen Blick unterwirft, wird bei Fahrwerk, Bremsen und Hinterachsdifferenzial große Ähnlichkeiten mit dem BMW M3 entdecken.

M-Power.com: Handelt es sich also um einen kleinen BMW M3?
Biermann: In gewisser Weise durchaus, in anderer Hinsicht eher nicht. Das BMW 1er M Coupé zeigt bei Leistung und Gewicht – wir erwarten etwa 1.500 kg – Parallelen zum BMW M3 E46. Fahrleistungsseitig wird es allerdings in einer eigenen Liga spielen. Wir gehen davon aus, dass das 1er M Coupé im Vergleich zum M3 Vorgänger etwa 10 Sekunden schneller auf der Nordschleife sein wird. Und natürlich wird es einen ganz eigenen Charakter aufweisen.

M-Power.com: Einen eigenen Charakter zeigen auch die ersten Details im Design. Was dürfen wir hier erwarten?
Natürlich können wir heute nicht alle Details verraten. Im Internet sind ja bereits einige markante Designelemente zu sehen. Darüber hinaus kann man im Interieur und Exterieur davon ausgehen, die üblichen M Ikonen zu finden. Eine Zahl kann ich Ihnen aber nennen: das BMW 1er M Coupé wird etwa 80 Millimeter breiter sein als der 135i.

M-Power.com: Wann können wir mit weiteren Informationen rechnen?
Mitte Dezember werden wir alle Details zum BMW 1er M Coupé bekannt geben. Bis dahin gibt es fortlaufend neue Infos auf M-Power.com. Die Weltpremiere des BMW 1er M Coupés findet im Januar 2011 auf der Detroit Auto Show statt und im Frühsommer werden die ersten Kunden Ihre Fahrzeuge ausgeliefert bekommen.

Herr Biermann, wir danken für das Gespräch.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

This is going to be so great. Way to go BMW!
      10-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Why do I have this feeling the new M1 coupe is BMW's response to the new Ford Mustang v. M3 controversy? Making the M3 (an M1 essentially at the size of the M3) on top of the new Mustang, yet at a more affordable price because it is not an M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
///mmmKevin
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Why do I have this feeling the new M1 coupe is BMW's response to the new Ford Mustang v. M3 controversy? Making the M3 (an M1 essentially at the size of the M3) on top of the new Mustang, yet at a more affordable price because it is not an M3.
I really doubt it's like that.

We all know BMW doesn't play the "one-up" game. Who cares if "critics" want to compare a cheap american car to a M3? If BMW made a car specifically to shut the critics up, they would just become another car company...

Also, I think it all comes down to niche markets. There are A LOT of young guys like myself that dream of having an M car but it won't be for a couple of years until we're able to afford one.

The 135i M Coupe totally bridges the gap between the 135i (10/10 on the fun scale but of course no M) and the M3 (100/10 on the fun scale, M but expensive).

BMW is really just filling a gap between 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Since we're fairly certain the engine is N54 based, I'm curious to see if (and how) BMW's M Division has addressed the HPFP issue or if they've just buried it beneath the hype.
      10-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mmmKevin View Post
I really doubt it's like that.

We all know BMW doesn't play the "one-up" game. Who cares if "critics" want to compare a cheap american car to a M3? If BMW made a car specifically to shut the critics up, they would just become another car company...

Also, I think it all comes down to niche markets. There are A LOT of young guys like myself that dream of having an M car but it won't be for a couple of years until we're able to afford one.

The 135i M Coupe totally bridges the gap between the 135i (10/10 on the fun scale but of course no M) and the M3 (100/10 on the fun scale, M but expensive).

BMW is really just filling a gap between 2 cars.
It is the US market and BMW most certainly does not just want to be a niche brand. While there are certain BMW demographics in the US who will never consider a Mustang, I think BMW is fully aware of the stake it is in. Driving in an M3 while knowing the new Mustang next to you is shoulder to shoulder against you at 1/2 of the cost is not a good feeling.

The new M1 coupe will be wider than the current M3 coupe based on the initial quote, indicatinig the new M1 coupe is aimed at a much wider audience who also need the size accommodation, not just the fun factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
Since we're fairly certain the engine is N54 based, I'm curious to see if (and how) BMW's M Division has addressed the HPFP issue or if they've just buried it beneath the hype.
Hopefully this is a sign that they have found a cure.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Great car marred by DCT omission. Too bad.

And thank you for the original post in German.
Why marred? The old E30 M3 did not come with an automatic. I am not sure. Any M car should. But certainly not the 1M. M is about driving purity and performance. It is not about having a car that drives more easily in heavy traffic, for that, a 123wd would be completely fine.

I am sure if one really wanted a DCT in a 1M, it would be possible, and probably for less money than the cost of an M3 with DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
It is the US market and BMW most certainly does not just want to be a niche brand. While there are certain BMW demographics in the US who will never consider a Mustang, I think BMW is fully aware of the stake it is in. Driving in an M3 while knowing the new Mustang next to you is shoulder to shoulder against you at 1/2 of the cost is not a good feeling.

The new M1 coupe will be wider than the current M3 coupe based on the initial quote, indicatinig the new M1 coupe is aimed at a much wider audience who also need the size accommodation, not just the fun factor.
No, as already written, the 1M is not made in response to the mustang or critics. BMW make cars for the person behind the wheel, not for any particular critic. They devised the 1M as an entry level M car for fans. And not specifically in response to the Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
+1 Anybody who has any need for reliability (I use my 335d as a DD to work and during work and for trips to other offices) would be very unwise to pick this gem up until the HPFP issue is put to rest once and for all.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Thank God it's only a 6MT... at least BMW hasn't totally lost touch with it's roots
      10-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

Saw the topic title and thought that this was a movie review of the recent Karate Kid remake.......................................
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
No, as already written, the 1M is not made in response to the mustang or critics. BMW make cars for the person behind the wheel, not for any particular critic. They devised the 1M as an entry level M car for fans. And not specifically in response to the Mustang.
Who cares what's been written? Do you seriously believe BMW will admit to this?

But if you can come out of the shell of the BMW fanatics, think about someone who is in the market for a loaded muscle car, his budget only allows him to look for the new Mustang, or the new Camero, or the new Charger...or one of those Japanese...now he learns there is a similarly priced (ok maybe not so similar but still way batter than a loaded M3) BMW coupe, big enough in size too, he may decide to give his local BMW dealer a visit...

But if the only goal of this new M1 coupe is to cater to a segment of the BMW clients, I say it will actually piss off some, because this new M1 coupe will be bigger than the 335is coupe (at least wider for sure), more powerful and much faster than the 335is coupe, and possibly cost less than the 335is too.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-09-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

8:12 (est) vs 8:39.2 for the stock 135i (Source: fastestlaps) is mighty impressive. 27 seconds is massive. BMW know their stuff, I'm happy to be a supporter of the brand
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Of course above I totally left out some other more direct competitions such as the new Audi line of fast coupes.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
8:12 (est) vs 8:39.2 for the stock 135i (Source: fastestlaps) is mighty impressive. 27 seconds is massive. BMW know their stuff, I'm happy to be a supporter of the brand
8:12 would be a very impressive time. Some big guns in that range.

I can only imagine what this thing would be like with a software tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I don't see a sunroof in the photos, is it going to come with a CF roof standard or optional or not at all because it is an "entry level" M series?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
1500 kg (3300 lbs) and 340 hp puts the power to weight ratio of the 1M in between e46 M3 and e86 Z4M. That is a little bit of a let down.

Nonetheless, the estimated 8:12 ring time is pretty impressive (especially the 27 sec delta from the stock 135).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
1500 kg (3300 lbs) and 340 hp puts the power to weight ratio of the 1M in between e46 M3 and e86 Z4M. That is a little bit of a let down.
True, but if you look at the torque/weight ratio (and the rev range the torque is delivered) the 1M is clearly ahead of any M car with a NA engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madozu View Post
True, but if you look at the torque/weight ratio (and the rev range the torque is delivered) the 1M is clearly ahead of any M car with a NA engine.
Agree. It is very encouraging to hear the engine pulls strong right up to redline. The autocar review indicates larger turbos, which is good news as well.

It will be very interesting to learn more specifics on the gearing.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Agree. It is very encouraging to hear the engine pulls strong right up to redline. The autocar review indicates larger turbos, which is good news as well.

It will be very interesting to learn more specifics on the gearing.
I agree 100%. This would mean a large usable rev range

Bigger turbos and better cooling ... things the 1er deserves. This is also in sync with Scott26's comment about the 1M engine not being a "straight-forward transplant" of an existing engine. The 135i N54 and also the "Z4 sDrive 35is" fall off at >6k rpm, so the engine described by the journalists is definitely not just a chipped N54. Also good news

Gearing: at least one of the articles talk about roughly M3 gearing ... with of course a shorter final drive to compensate for the smaller rev range of the 1M engine.
Appreciate 0