BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #133
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
It will definitely have appeal. But for me I would buy a DCT M3. Just for the glorious engine and superb transmission.

A normal 135i with a chip, tires and some suspension mods can replicate 90% of what this 1M coupe can do I bet.

It'd be a pretty good buy if it were only 90%. A 135i with a tune, suspension, and wheels/tires can do about 110% what an M3 can in terms of raw performance. :-p

The point is that's a slightly silly thing to say, because the same holds true for any M car. I'm still perfectly happy with my Z4 M coupe, even though my chipped 1 was significantly faster in a straight line.

The difference between an M and a regular BMW is not just suspension, tuning, and brakes. It's a radically different experience. A 335i, for example, is not remotely comparable to an M3 in terms of driving fun even if it will blow one away in a straight line with a grand of tweaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #134
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

OK OK somebody get me a respirator

I need a

This car looks like it's going to be a "Sick" little puppy!

A real little beast, monster ...

BMW on this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #135
brunp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3, 1997 BMW M3

car looks amazing, I am signed up and hope to get one of these a couple years after they show up at dealers door.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #136
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Here's what BMW should do with the 1-series M..

Here's what BMW should do with the 1-series M...

Matt Prior

For me, the great thing about BMW’s plan for a hot 1-Series is not just that there is going to be an M version of the coupe/two-door saloon (view it how you will), but that it’s going to be ‘in the tradition of the very first M3’.

You’ll remember the first M3, of course. Some lads from our sister title Pistonheads have driven one to the Classic Le Mans this weekend and brought it to the office the other day.

It still looks fabulous and, in its smallness, seems now more relevant than ever. At 1200kg it was light, and a touch under 200bhp from its highly-tuned four pot was ample.

I very much doubt either of those numbers will be so small this time. A 135i coupe already runs in at 1530kg and 302bhp. What I hope is that M division has the confidence to feel that it doesn’t just have to blitz the power of the rest of the range. It has other models – M5, M6 the Xs – that do that.

I’d love to think that when BMW talks about the affordability and purity of the original, it really means it. Keep it light, keep it simple, remember that handling and fun are not the same as power and grip.

So far, I’m encouraged that in our spy shots the 1M’s wheels – although large in diameter – don’t look too wide at the back, and not too much wider than the fronts. No bonnet bulge either, and the exhausts only exit one side. There’s no massive engine, in other words.

In my ideal spec a 1-Series M would be a four-pot (I suspect it’ll have to be, though I’d rather it wasn’t, turbocharged) making perhaps 240bhp, and I’d want to find a way of taking the weight down to 1250kg, less if at all possible. It’d be completed by a slippy diff, Alcantara wheel and gearlever, tight seats and a £25k asking price.

Forget the fact a Ford Focus RS is more powerful. Ignore the fact a Renaultsport Megane might lap the Nordschleife more quickly. These things mean nothing when it comes to poise, agility, balance - all the things that make a great car, like the E30, or a Peugeot 205 GTi or Lotus Elise, or a great bike like the Ducati 748, so memorable.

Five years ago, of course, these things would have been an impossible dream. A 1-Series M would have been a 350bhp blown-six hot rod at £40k. But things have changed a bit since then. Cars have to get lighter and cleaner. Already most performance cars are too fast to be routinely enjoyed on the road.

The sports car genre could do with some recalibration. I just hope the 1-Series M leads the way.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anyth...-series-m.aspx
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #137
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

i severely doubt that 1 M coupe will be 335hp. i'm thinking about 350-375hp to make it worth the "upgrade" for you guys. just shy of the M3 414hp. i'm certain that BMW knows chipped 135 can take on M3 already.
2008 E92 M3 - Gone
2006 E90 325i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #138
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
SICK!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #139
z3speed4me
Need a replacement.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

NOOOOOOO they are taking the M coupe name away from where it belongs!!!

Regardless, if the car isn't over 360-370hp, it will not be worth it, and they wont make it 400 bc then it would destroy their flagship m3 in every fashion. They will tame it, kinda like porsche did with the cayman to ensure it didn't top the 911.

Would I buy one of these, maybe, would I rather get a 135 and do what will probably be the same work bmw is doing anyway, yea.

Real stats have yet to be released, so until then I hold my true opinion on the car. I am still not happy with the sentence long name however. I just hope the fact is that its going to be called the m1 by everyone anyway and hopefully not the m coupe!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #140
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

registered!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #141
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3speed4me View Post
NOOOOOOO they are taking the M coupe name away from where it belongs!!!

Regardless, if the car isn't over 360-370hp, it will not be worth it, and they wont make it 400 bc then it would destroy their flagship m3 in every fashion. They will tame it, kinda like porsche did with the cayman to ensure it didn't top the 911.

Would I buy one of these, maybe, would I rather get a 135 and do what will probably be the same work bmw is doing anyway, yea.

Real stats have yet to be released, so until then I hold my true opinion on the car. I am still not happy with the sentence long name however. I just hope the fact is that its going to be called the m1 by everyone anyway and hopefully not the m coupe!
The "Coupe" has to be there because Scott has already said there would be a Vert.

Just like - M3 Coupe, M3 Sedan, M3 Vert.

This will be a 1 series M Coupe, as opposed to a 1 series M Convertible.

The model designation would however be 1///M, so it's not that long

375-385 would give it the same power/weight ratio as the ///M3 if it remains the same weight - the cut off the maximum the car would have was 360 explained scott earlier.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #142
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

What is this 335bhp number that these people keep throwing out? This isn't an is...or maybe it is, you know it doesn't have a powerdome hood...it can't be an M

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #143
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

If it's 3,400lb's and only produces 335Hp, I'd be a little disappointed. WHy would I buy that over say an '08 M Coupe for $10K+ less? Less than 360hp would be a waste of time unless they dropped the weight. Looking forward to seeing, but not very excited about it.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #144
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Registered to drive
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #145
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

I don't understand why everyone is willing to buy this car already? The price, specs, and test drives have not even been done. Everything is speculation at this point. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited but I'm not selling my one just yet. Especially, if I can tune my 1 for cheaper and get better results
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #146
Sugarphreak
Private
Rep
Drives:

I test drove the 135i when they very first came out in the BMW sponsored Autocross... I loved the car but never bought knowing that one day an M version of the car would come out.

Firstly, 335hp? Seriously? 33 extra horsepower is the best BMW can do?

Secondly, I hope to hell it is not a turbo and is naturally aspirated.

Thirdly, I cannot believe that BMW didn't call it the M1... what a cop out.

That last point only leads me to believe that the entire car is one giant compromise; basically an effort to out-do the 135i... but keep it under the M3 bar. Considering how good the 135i was there is not much wiggle room for dramatic improvement, I really wish BMW would just make the best damn car they could instead of pussy footing around the political issues. Detuned engines and long convoluted names are BS.

I will be waiting eagerly on more details, although I don't have a lot of confidence at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #147
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Guys, Guys, Guys, there won't be an N54 or N55 in this car. iS cars have the N54. My guess is that will be the next major piece of information.
"S55" is what I would bet on at this point.

I say this because I think its all but certain it will be a turbocharged inline six of some type. A turbo four seems like a tiny, tiny outside shot at best (though, come F2x 1M time, then maybe something like that stands a greater chance...). And a naturally aspirated motor is, frankly, not happening. So, I figure they base it on the N55.

Last edited by mkoesel; 07-09-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #148
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Unfortunately we cannot replicate the overall project as was the E30 M3. This is not possible because of safety requirements and other regulations have made this today nigh on impossible. What we can do is try to replicate the feel and focus the E30 delivered on the road and track, from what I have learned is that the car is not just an faster 135i although the 135i is a very good car to begin with particular attention is being taken especially to the mechanical set-up and the steering.
No BMW M car can replicate the performance and the feel of an E30 M3. You can accomplish the overall feel, yet with exceptional power that can be delivered spontaneously in the 1//M. E30 M3 was a pure raw power.
Many BMW enthusiasts, such as myself, felt that E30 M3 was a ground breaking performance vehicle that BMW gifted us out of sheer excitement. Many remember the days when a small 4 cylinder 2.3L produced incredible 195 hp which became a win win formula for an exciting vehicle.
Thus, I am not asking BMW to create similar performance. I am asking BMW to return to its racing heritage; and I am hoping the 1//M will revive the Motorsport division.
Sure you can have the horsepower, the braking and handling; however, without the actual "feel" of the car's soul, it is all deemed useless.
I am hoping that this car will deliver such promise. I look forward to test driving this vehicle.
As anyone can see, the excitement is building up quite rapidly and passionately about the 1//M.

Last edited by positiveions; 07-09-2010 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #149
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

BMW wont sell alot of these if they offer manual only, (kinda like what happened with the Z4M).
      07-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #150
steve79
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M; Fiat Abarth 500

I just bought the german AUTOBILD:

Their facts:

Engine from the Z4 35is, so around 340 HP
19" wheels, different brakes, different seats and different speedometers;
0-100 KM/h under 5 seconds
DCT 7 speed as an option or 6 manual standard
Price: 48000 Euros approx 60000$, available fro June 2010 in Europe!

Another link to UK Carmagazine:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...-teaser-video/
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #151
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
I test drove the 135i when they very first came out in the BMW sponsored Autocross... I loved the car but never bought knowing that one day an M version of the car would come out.

Firstly, 335hp? Seriously? 33 extra horsepower is the best BMW can do?

Secondly, I hope to hell it is not a turbo and is naturally aspirated.

Thirdly, I cannot believe that BMW didn't call it the M1... what a cop out.

That last point only leads me to believe that the entire car is one giant compromise; basically an effort to out-do the 135i... but keep it under the M3 bar. Considering how good the 135i was there is not much wiggle room for dramatic improvement, I really wish BMW would just make the best damn car they could instead of pussy footing around the political issues. Detuned engines and long convoluted names are BS.

I will be waiting eagerly on more details, although I don't have a lot of confidence at this point.
You raise some good points...the main thing is the "pussy footing" unfortunately there's going to be no way around it. It's like the cayman, the M1 is here just to fill a market gap and not to build the best 1 they can.

In terms of the M1 name...it's not a cop out, because the real M1 name belongs to a car that's in a different league than the current 1 series...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #152
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

The car looks sweet, but what I really want to know is, when and if the next generation 1 series is going to come out. I am not interested in getting rid of my 135i for the M if there is a new more updated 1 series coming out that will probably have more power than our current versions anyway.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #153
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

I really like my 135, but anyone who has driven a current M3 can tell you how much more fun it is to drive when it comes to handling.

The 1M chassis is basically the M3's just bolted in. This is why the 1M flares have to be so large. The front track is going to be 2.2" inches wider than a 135i. The rear track is .8" wider. You can bolt on your house and will not get the same handling of this different chasis. This track difference alone will improve the basic physics and grip and naturally get rid of a lot of understeer which plagues the 135. All this talk about modding a 135 into a better car than the 1M is fun but ignores important differences.

The electronic controls and integrated M diff are another item that cannot be easily replicated if at all. And how many modders, and I am a modder, install multiple variations of bushing materials to find the right durometer so the chassis is finely balanced and then go test it at the "Ring"? Not me.

Go look at OEM.com and compare all the differences between an M3 and 135i chassis. All of the aluminum arms are stronger and lighter. The difference in part numbers is large. The M3, and 1M, chassis is a complete evolution of the 135i/335i chassis.

The point is, as a starting point, the 1M has advantages that cannot be easily replicated with even serious mods to a 135i. You can always mod a 135 and enjoy that, but few modded 135's will better the 1M and would cost more to create.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #154
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I really like my 135, but anyone who has driven a current M3 can tell you how much more fun it is to drive when it comes to handling.

The 1M chassis is basically the M3's just bolted in. This is why the 1M flares have to be so large. The front track is going to be 2.2" inches wider than a 135i. The rear track is .8" wider. You can bolt on your house and will not get the same handling of this different chasis. This track difference alone will improve the basic physics and grip and naturally get rid of a lot of understeer which plagues the 135. All this talk about modding a 135 into a better car than the 1M is fun but ignores important differences.

The electronic controls and integrated M diff are another item that cannot be easily replicated if at all. And how many modders, and I am a modder, install multiple variations of bushing materials to find the right durometer so the chassis is finely balanced and then go test it at the "Ring"? Not me.

Go look at OEM.com and compare all the differences between an M3 and 135i chassis. All of the aluminum arms are stronger and lighter. The difference in part numbers is large. The M3, and 1M, chassis is a complete evolution of the 135i/335i chassis.

The point is, as a starting point, the 1M has advantages that cannot be easily replicated with even serious mods to a 135i. You can always mod a 135 and enjoy that, but few modded 135's will better the 1M and would cost more to create.
Word.

The biggest puzzles for me are:
- Why the N54? That's just the 335is engine. We were led to believe N55 with a really trick manifold...
- Why the M3 calipers? I can assure you, the M3 has nothing on the 135i on braking. Please keep the Brembos...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0