http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406437

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #156
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Even if the car is only 350hp it's not like it can't be boosted with a chip like a 135i. I hope that the internals are built to handle some expected modification.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #157
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
- No DCT is news if it's true.
Why would they offer it in the M3 and not here. I'd pay 2-3G more for the DCT.....

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #158
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Seems like all the reports point towards it having the 335is/Z4is engine Scott?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #159
Sugarphreak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking View Post
You raise some good points...the main thing is the "pussy footing" unfortunately there's going to be no way around it. It's like the cayman, the M1 is here just to fill a market gap and not to build the best 1 they can.

In terms of the M1 name...it's not a cop out, because the real M1 name belongs to a car that's in a different league than the current 1 series...
Precisely what I mean; they are not trying to build the best car they can, they are intentionally trying to keep it slow... it is a political move that I think will end up alienating the car from the very people they are trying to market it to.

The naming is also thier own fault... the previous M1 was a stand alone car and they ought to have considered that before launching a 1 series lineup. When they commited to the 1 series car name it sealed that deal; anything less than an M1 name is a comprimise... which seems to be what this new M car seems to be all about.

I am still cautiously optomistic, you can see from my join date I have waited a really long time just for this car. It has been very hard not to go pick up a 135i for this long!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #160
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Car and driver drives the 1-M

Footnotes:

- Still N54 engine with 335 HP
- No mention worthy exhaust sound let alone the wail of a typical M car
- Low-revving engine much like X5 M, X6 M and F10 M5
- Weighs around 3400 - 3500 lbs
- Still some turbo lag
- Handles well

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406437

They made that shit up. They didn't drive it, they were passengers. Scott said that specs have not been revealed in any way, shape or form, and that the engine would NOT be a "chipped 135i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Seems like all the reports point towards it having the 335is/Z4is engine Scott?
Scott said specs will not be revealed yet, and that the engine, as I said, would not be "a chipped 135i"
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #161
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
The wide arches look fantastic.

The car is ///M pure says segler. ///M pure lets see ///M pure hmmmm.

E30 M3 ///M pure
E36 M3 ///M pure
E46 M3 ///M pure
M3 CSL ///M 300% pure
E92 M3 ///M pure

X5M turbo ///M pure mistake
X6M turbo ///M pure mistake

Now lets wait and see how pure the 1///M will be in a thru drivers point of view.
WUT No love for the E86?

Can't wait to see more spec info on the 1M
methinks it's going to kick butt when it gets here.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #162
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I really like my 135, but anyone who has driven a current M3 can tell you how much more fun it is to drive when it comes to handling.

The 1M chassis is basically the M3's just bolted in. This is why the 1M flares have to be so large. The front track is going to be 2.2" inches wider than a 135i. The rear track is .8" wider. You can bolt on your house and will not get the same handling of this different chasis. This track difference alone will improve the basic physics and grip and naturally get rid of a lot of understeer which plagues the 135. All this talk about modding a 135 into a better car than the 1M is fun but ignores important differences.

The electronic controls and integrated M diff are another item that cannot be easily replicated if at all. And how many modders, and I am a modder, install multiple variations of bushing materials to find the right durometer so the chassis is finely balanced and then go test it at the "Ring"? Not me.

Go look at OEM.com and compare all the differences between an M3 and 135i chassis. All of the aluminum arms are stronger and lighter. The difference in part numbers is large. The M3, and 1M, chassis is a complete evolution of the 135i/335i chassis.

The point is, as a starting point, the 1M has advantages that cannot be easily replicated with even serious mods to a 135i. You can always mod a 135 and enjoy that, but few modded 135's will better the 1M and would cost more to create.
All M3 arms and subframe bushings installed on the 135i makes a huge diffenrce. Also, the Quaife LSD installed on a 135i makes the DTC mode very permissive. If you add Bilstein suspensions and bigger swaybars to that, it is not the same car, and it behaves as an M does. True that lot of parts are different, but not that much makes the real difference.

We can expect this new 1M to be what we already can get with few modifications on the 135i chassis, but the base for modifications might be better (eg: the wide body and lot of room in arches).

Now, there are lot of other areas where BMW can make a real diffenence, and that would be very hard and/or expensive to replicate. Wait and see!
      07-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #163
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I think I should warn you that the test drives are only open to customers within Germany and Austria.
However I am sure BMW North America will offer something similar when the car goes on sale there in over a years time.
Well, I'm here (Leonberg) and I'm waiting for your call Scott, lol

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #164
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
All M3 arms and subframe bushings installed on the 135i makes a huge diffenrce. Also, the Quaife LSD installed on a 135i makes the DTC mode very permissive. If you add Bilstein suspensions and bigger swaybars to that, it is not the same car, and it behaves as an M does. True that lot of parts are different, but not that much makes the real difference.

We can expect this new 1M to be what we already can get with few modifications on the 135i chassis, but the base for modifications might be better (eg: the wide body and lot of room in arches).

Now, there are lot of other areas where BMW can make a real diffenence, and that would be very hard and/or expensive to replicate. Wait and see!
I believe Scott also mentioned the steering, and look at those freaken brakes. They FILL 19" wheels.

It the car is priced mid fourties, it would be MUCH cheaper than doing all that stuff to a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #165
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I believe Scott also mentioned the steering, and look at those freaken brakes. They FILL 19" wheels.
Those are M3 brakes on the prototype, but the production version was said to use different (multi-piston) calipers.
      07-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #166
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I stood on the sidelines in my marketing role and talked to Journalists @ Ascari, I did not reveal any "official" figures or specifications , As that was not to be discussed, also no actual Journalist got behind the wheel they were taken for a drive around the circuit.
But again I find it hard to give a perspective of what a car is like to drive , the overall response and feel of the car in the grip of my hands via the passenger seat.

Please do not throw in my face -" you said"... when I have already posted a disclaimer. I do not intend to again.

In regards to the M DCT- The car I drove at the Ring was equipped with M-DCT. In marketing an M. A stick fares better to initially communicate with driving enthusiasts. But BMW and M Division test everything until they get the right formula for the car that is what seperates BMW M from the competition, They test so many ideas until everything comes together.

All I do is market the cars when they are ready. The car shown here is not officially ready for production and is still testing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #167
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Right now based on the info we have from Scott (~360PS, N55 based, etc.) the only thing I'm waiting on to get me to 100% decided is the aesthetics (and of course, Military Sales has to get it into their system for ordering, lol).

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #168
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

don't know if it is posted before.
M1 convertible..looks hawt!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #169
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Liked: Quad Exhaust.

Disappointed: No Steroid bump on the hood
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #170
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Dude, the production hood isn't done yet, otherwise it would be camouflaged

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #171
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
i think this car will be around $46,000 - $49,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #172
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

In all the M cars, the power bulge has always been a functional item not a ricer show-off item.

For instance:

E46 M3 had it since the S54 motor could not fit without the bulge
E60 M5 did not since there was more than adequate space for the V10
E63 M6 did not since there was more than adequate space for the V10
E9X has it because the V8 is too big for the compartment
Z4 M did not since the hood was big enough to fit the S54

Since it is a 3.0 Liter inline 6 with a turbo on it, there is no chance there will be a power bulge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Dude, the production hood isn't done yet, otherwise it would be camouflaged

How did they make this up? This is car and driver, which is the most BMW-biased publication out there. The article was written in more of a flattering way. Redline, low revving nature, exhaust note, turbo lag, handling etc. are all exactly identifiable sitting in the passenger seat.

I could tell all these things when I first rode in a 335 with the salesguy before I drove it myself including the turbo lag.

The only exceptions are the power rating (which is still inline with the Autobuild specs of 340 ps, which is 335 HP) and the N54 engine code.

Whether it is an N54 engine (which BTW also was mentioned in the AutoBuild article) or not. I always thought of it has a better choice over the N55 engine. Since it confirmed by BMW that it is an inline 3.0 Liter 6 cylinder turbo engine, it will not be too different from N54 to begin with, if it is N55 where single turbo vs twin turbo is the major difference so why cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
They made that shit up. They didn't drive it, they were passengers. Scott said that specs have not been revealed in any way, shape or form, and that the engine would NOT be a "chipped 135i"

Scott said specs will not be revealed yet, and that the engine, as I said, would not be "a chipped 135i"

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 07-09-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #173
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I really like my 135, but anyone who has driven a current M3 can tell you how much more fun it is to drive when it comes to handling.

The 1M chassis is basically the M3's just bolted in. This is why the 1M flares have to be so large. The front track is going to be 2.2" inches wider than a 135i. The rear track is .8" wider. You can bolt on your house and will not get the same handling of this different chasis. This track difference alone will improve the basic physics and grip and naturally get rid of a lot of understeer which plagues the 135. All this talk about modding a 135 into a better car than the 1M is fun but ignores important differences.

The electronic controls and integrated M diff are another item that cannot be easily replicated if at all. And how many modders, and I am a modder, install multiple variations of bushing materials to find the right durometer so the chassis is finely balanced and then go test it at the "Ring"? Not me.

Go look at OEM.com and compare all the differences between an M3 and 135i chassis. All of the aluminum arms are stronger and lighter. The difference in part numbers is large. The M3, and 1M, chassis is a complete evolution of the 135i/335i chassis.

The point is, as a starting point, the 1M has advantages that cannot be easily replicated with even serious mods to a 135i. You can always mod a 135 and enjoy that, but few modded 135's will better the 1M and would cost more to create.
This. Modding a 135iS cannot replicate the engineering that goes into making the 1M what it is: steering, suspension, handling, electronics ballet, let alone the flared fenders, wider track, bigger brakes, LSD, etc. No way you can build a similar 135 for less than what you'd pay for the 1M. Why go through all the trouble when you can just buy off the rack? Personally, I look forward to test driving this bad boy and give it a serious look. Finally, I hope they badge it "1M" and not that BS crap they do with the Z4 coupe that basically is the equivalent putting a sentence on a car as a badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #174
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post
This. Modding a 135iS cannot replicate the engineering that goes into making the 1M what it is: steering, suspension, handling, electronics ballet, let alone the flared fenders, wider track, bigger brakes, LSD, etc. No way you can build a similar 135 for less than what you'd pay for the 1M. Why go through all the trouble when you can just buy off the rack? Personally, I look forward to test driving this bad boy and give it a serious look. Finally, I hope they badge it "1M" and not that BS crap they do with the Z4 coupe that basically is the equivalent putting a sentence on a car as a badge.
I kinda like the badging on the back of the M Coupe, simple and to the point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #175
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

The point is, going from 335 to M3 is a huge leap in terms of dramartic experience much like going from an E60 550i was to E60 M5 or Z4 3.0is to Z4 M.

The main thing is that the entire character, attitude, power delivery and demeanor of the car is different in these cases rather than just amounts of grip, suspension, cornering speeds and handling.

Going from a 135 to 1-M will not even be comparable since they will exhibit similar characteristics in terms of power delivery, torque, sound and throttle response, redline etc. The major differences will be in how fast one can corner, steering feedback, amounts of grip available, oversteer/understeer tendencies etc.

Case in point, the jump is no longer nearly as dramatic as it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 07-09-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #176
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Scott, 8 pages and counting
Appreciate 0