07-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #177
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Now I wonder, those of us that have the M-Sport packages on our 135i's will get all kinds of crap for having ///M logos on a non-M. I know it wasnt a big deal before because there wasnt an ///M model. Now there is, and I can see it coming already

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #178
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I kinda like the badging on the back of the M Coupe, simple and to the point.
I agree, it looks good and is simple. Was referring more to the Z4 sDrive35iS. Can you get any more letters in that designation? That badge is bad enough. Would hate to see a "1 Series M Coupé" badge on the ass of the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #179
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post
I agree, it looks good and is simple. Was referring more to the Z4 sDrive35iS. Can you get any more letters in that designation? That badge is bad enough. Would hate to see a "1 Series M Coupé" badge on the ass of the 1M.
If I owned one, and that was the case, I'd debadge it in a heartbeat, heh.

I much preferred the way my 1'er looked without any badges on the back.

It seems to fit OK on the Z4, but I'm thinking of debadging it also.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #180
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

NO DCT..not for me

Scott,
Is it true no DCT option???
I am in a wheelchair,and wear a brace on my right foot when driving.For this reason I must have an auto tranny of some variant.
(Even if their are some mindless folk out there who think that persons driving a non manual are lesser humans...and I'd like to use much more colorful language)
...Bottom Line is:If there isn't a DCT offered, I am out, and it seems that list is growing(as seen in comments on here and Bimmerfile)
Thats a shame,because I was ready to go from my 135 to this "M"

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #181
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RäDIOCLäSH View Post
Scott,
I am in a wheelchair,and wear a brace on my right foot when driving.For this reason I must have an auto tranny of some variant.
(Even if their are some mindless folk out there who think that persons driving a non manual are lesser humans...and I'd like to use much more colorful language)
...Bottom Line is:If there isn't a DCT offered, I am out, and it seems that list is growing(as seen in comments on here and Bimmerfile)
Scott stated that the prototype driven on the N-Ring was M DCT.

However, he cannot give information on finalized specifications for the street car, since they aren't final yet, of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #182
ChristianM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TTC

Quote:
Now I wonder, those of us that have the M-Sport packages on our 135i's will get all kinds of crap for having ///M logos on a non-M. I know it wasnt a big deal before because there wasnt an ///M model. Now there is, and I can see it coming already
Time to start removing, hehe.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #183
ChristianM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TTC

Quote:
Scott,
I highly suspect a DCT variant being available, all of the top manufactures are including it in their vehicles now (SLS, Turbo S).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #184
syl2us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

quick mock-up of what she may look like without the swirls... front for some reason when saved came out darker, but i got other things to do fellas.
Attached Images

07-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #185
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
In regards to the M DCT- The car I drove at the Ring was equipped with M-DCT. In marketing an M. A stick fares better to initially communicate with driving enthusiasts. But BMW and M Division test everything until they get the right formula for the car that is what seperates BMW M from the competition, They test so many ideas until everything comes together.

All I do is market the cars when they are ready. The car shown here is not officially ready for production and is still testing.
Scott, please pass along, DCT is the only answer!

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #186
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic RR View Post

Sonic
Go back to page 8 and read SCOTTS response about DCT..

SCOTT:{{In regards to the M DCT- The car I drove at the Ring was equipped with M-DCT. In marketing an M. A stick fares better to initially communicate with driving enthusiasts. But BMW and M Division test everything until they get the right formula for the car that is what seperates BMW M from the competition, They test so many ideas until everything comes together.

All I do is market the cars when they are ready. The car shown here is not officially ready for production and is still testing.}}
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #187
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Since our late midnight showing of the new BMW 1M Coupe and our invitation to register we have amassed over 10,000 registrations of interest for the new 1M Coupe.

In regards to your question :

In the North American market the SMG of the BMW M5 , BMW M6 and BMW M6 Cabrio outsold the manual transmissions. Currently M-DCT is also increasing it's market share over the manual transmission.
With the Z4 Coupe we sold more Z4 Coupe 3.0i than Z4M Coupe because of the option for automatic transmission.
In North America as well as other countries. Manual transmissions count for 1for every 10 automatic transmission sales.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #188
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Since our late midnight showing of the new BMW 1M Coupe and our invitation to register we have amassed over 10,000 registrations of interest for the new 1M Coupe.

In regards to your question :

In the North American market the SMG of the BMW M5 , BMW M6 and BMW M6 Cabrio outsold the manual transmissions. Currently M-DCT is also increasing it's market share over the manual transmission.
With the Z4 Coupe we sold more Z4 Coupe 3.0i than Z4M Coupe because of the option for automatic transmission.
In North America as well as other countries. Manual transmissions count for 1for every 10 automatic transmission sales.
In layman's terms, "Yes, there will be a M-DCT option."

Although I'd prefer it to be manual only. Part of the reason I always instantly respect other STi drivers is because I know they're driving a manual. I guess I'm just one of those "purists" who thinks anything other than a manual just isn't as fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #189
fan1addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Although I'd prefer it to be manual only. Part of the reason I always instantly respect other STi drivers is because I know they're driving a manual. I guess I'm just one of those "purists" who thinks anything other than a manual just isn't as fun.
How about us Lotus drivers

Every car I've owned so far are manuals. Every car I've tracked and autocrossed have been manuals. But the next car I get might very well be some type of dual clutch transmission. You can't deny new technologies. On the track, I'm sure I'll be faster with it and thats the bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #190
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan1addict View Post

Every car I've owned so far are manuals. Every car I've tracked and autocrossed have been manuals. But the next car I get might very well be some type of dual clutch transmission. You can't deny new technologies. On the track, I'm sure I'll be faster with it and thats the bottom line.
For me driving fun is more of a consideration, but I'm probably going to test drive this 1M Coupe with both, and it wouldn't surprise me if I prefer the flappy-paddle.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #191
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan1addict View Post

There's no denying a DCT is faster, there's a reason Ferrari and Lambo are ditching manuals altogether.

When I track the car I'm not doing it to set times or beat other people, it's for my own rush, so getting a few tenths at the cost of giving up a manual wouldn't be worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #192
fan1addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
There's no denying a DCT is faster, there's a reason Ferrari and Lambo are ditching manuals altogether.

When I track the car I'm not doing it to set times or beat other people, it's for my own rush, so getting a few tenths at the cost of giving up a manual wouldn't be worth it to me.
That is true and I tend to agree but I'm not having too much fun with the manuals on the track though. Under heavy acceleration or braking, I have a very difficult time getting it into gear. This could very well be caused by the soft engine mounts that came with the Lotus so I upgraded the mounts but it didn't solve the problem. Every time I come up to a corner, its like a 50% chance whether I can engage the lower gear and yes, I heel and toe'd rev matched. Thats no fun. Next time I'll take my S2000 CR to the track and see if its any better.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #193
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

Quote:

yes, it is faster. BUT, beware of the LAG!!!!!!!!!!!

>_<
2008 E92 M3 - Gone
2006 E90 325i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #194
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaserion View Post
yes, it is faster. BUT, beware of the LAG!!!!!!!!!!!

>_<
So far none of the people with a 2011 M3 have reported any DCT lag.
      07-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #195
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic RR View Post

Sonic
+1...please
I've watched the teaser vid 12 times now.....and I Want to be able to get " zee güzepeempelz" like Dr.K has!!!

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #196
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I really like my 135, but anyone who has driven a current M3 can tell you how much more fun it is to drive when it comes to handling.

The 1M chassis is basically the M3's just bolted in. This is why the 1M flares have to be so large. The front track is going to be 2.2" inches wider than a 135i. The rear track is .8" wider. You can bolt on your house and will not get the same handling of this different chasis. This track difference alone will improve the basic physics and grip and naturally get rid of a lot of understeer which plagues the 135. All this talk about modding a 135 into a better car than the 1M is fun but ignores important differences.

The electronic controls and integrated M diff are another item that cannot be easily replicated if at all. And how many modders, and I am a modder, install multiple variations of bushing materials to find the right durometer so the chassis is finely balanced and then go test it at the "Ring"? Not me.

Go look at OEM.com and compare all the differences between an M3 and 135i chassis. All of the aluminum arms are stronger and lighter. The difference in
part numbers is large. The M3, and 1M, chassis is a complete evolution of the 135i/335i chassis.

The point is, as a starting point, the 1M has advantages that cannot be easily replicated with even serious mods to a 135i. You can always mod a 135 and enjoy that, but few modded 135's will better the 1M and would cost more to create.
Your post is what seperates the Delusionites from people who know what they are talking about. You have a lot of sour grapes around here. Some people think they know more or as much as the M engineers and think that they can replicate what they have done, by doing a weekend mod vs Months spent on the 'Ring and in the lab. It's like me thinking that all I need to do to take out a 430 Scud is put a huge snail on my IS and wa-la, I have a Ferrari beater. It doesn't work like that. And at the end of the day, the 135i owner has a "reg" 135i and the 1M owner has a M product with a M specific VIN number. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #197
fan1addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
So far none of the people with a 2011 M3 have reported any DCT lag.
+1 I've driven a M3 with DCT and didn't notice any kind of lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #198
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

I'm wondering (pure speculation, obviously) that they didn't name it M1 because it isn't the massive improvement over 135 that they 'needed' for it to qualify.

I'm guessing that had this car been absolutely undeniably brilliant they would GLADLY have slapped on the M1 badge. But possibly due to this actually being a 'budget-developed M model' (missing the highly developed or unique engine, carbon roof etc), the improvement isn't as large over the 135, as the M3 is over the 335?

Just thinking out loud....

And at no point am I suggesting this won't be a great car. It really does look like a ball of fun. And neither am I a 'M1' diehard either...
Appreciate 0