BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #45
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbenz07 View Post
If were thinking total package, how is the 1 series the best overall total package when 1.
The Evo can't make a u-turn

I test drove an Evo X MR, and while I liked it, I knew I could never live with the horrible turning radius on an every day basis.

edit: Damn, another thread brought back from the dead!
      08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #46
ddt713
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

This is my car vs a stock 07 sti

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #47
angryBitz
N55 FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Interesting thread... I traded in my 2010 STI Special Edition (Spec-C wheels and stiffer suspension upgrades, etc). I had a borla 3" exhaust, manual boost controller, stiffer engine mounts, and a pro-tune. My STI dyno'd at ~300 awhp and I was never quite happy with it. It handled well but wasn't a great daily driver and interior was rattley and cheap. Power and torque were no where to be found before 4k. I learned to drive the car so that the engine was whining all the time. Throttle response is crap until you get a custom tune, even then its flakey depending on the weather. Engine and exhaust sounded rough and cheap. Don't get me wrong, I loved my STI and I wanted one since they came out, but once I got it, it left me wanting more. Prior to the STI, I owned a 2006 AWD Turbo 6spd Mazdaspeed 6, so it wasn't my first AWD Turbo car. STI turbo lag feels "OK" until you drive a 135. Positive notes... Hatchback is super useful. It costs less. It has 4 doors and still looks good. People can fit in the back seat.

On the other side...
My 135i is totally stock and it has full torque at 1200rpm, this feels outstanding. Launches are so easy and the car just takes off. The car pulls HARD at ANY RPM... I can be in town totally in the wrong gear running 1500rpm and if I tap the accelerator the car just goes like a bat out of hell. ZERO-TURBO-LAG. Throttle response is outstanding, smooth and quick and predictable. I have the ///M interior and its awesome and solid and superb quality. The car handles very well, I feel like its equal to STI handling but at the same time its still an excellent daily driver. Back seats are useless for anyone over 10 inches tall.

For me coming from a 2010 STI with mods and buying a 2011 135i (stock), there is no question. 135i. Can't wait to plug in PROcede and get that extra 60rwhp.

Last edited by angryBitz; 09-22-2010 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #48
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBitz View Post
Interesting thread... I traded in my 2010 STI Special Edition (Spec-C wheels and stiffer suspension upgrades, etc). I had a borla 3" exhaust, manual boost controller, stiffer engine mounts, and a pro-tune. My STI dyno'd at ~300 awhp and I was never quite happy with it. It handled well but wasn't a great daily driver and interior was rattley and cheap. Power and torque were no where to be found before 4k. I learned to drive the car so that the engine was whining all the time. Engine and exhaust sounded rough and cheap. I loved my STI and I wanted one since they came out, but once I got it, it left me wanting more. Prior to the STI, I owned a 2006 AWD Turbo 6spd Mazdaspeed 6, so it wasn't my first AWD Turbo car.

On the other side...
My 135i is totally stock and it has full torque at 1200rpm, this feels outstanding. Launches are so easy and the car just takes off. The car pulls HARD at ANY RPM... I can be in town totally in the wrong gear running 1500rpm and if I tap the accelerator the car just goes like a bat out of hell. I have the ///M interior and its awesome and solid and superb quality. The car handles very well, I feel like its equal to STI handling but at the same time its still an excellent daily driver.

For me coming from a 2010 STI with mods and buying a 2011 135i (stock), there is no question. 135i. Can't wait to plug in PROcede and get that extra 60rwhp.
Nice review mate

Just wait until you mod your 135i... You will be
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #49
angryBitz
N55 FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Yeah - I talked to Vishnu today. They're a hop skip and a jump away from me and now they're offering PROcede for local installs. My odometer is only at 900 miles but I think I'm gonna go for a trip and get another 600 miles and an oil change in, then its PROcede time!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #50
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBitz View Post
Yeah - I talked to Vishnu today. They're a hop skip and a jump away from me and now they're offering PROcede for local installs. My odometer is only at 900 miles but I think I'm gonna go for a trip and get another 600 miles and an oil change in, then its PROcede time!
You won't be disappointed. You might want to pick up a set of new rubber to help put all that power down
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #51
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
You won't be disappointed. You might want to pick up a set of new rubber to help put all that power down
agreed 100% the tires that come with the cars are right at the limit of traction from the factory. with my JB3, i casually drive through first gear, put it into second then lay into the gas and hope that i can keep enough traction to accelerate. but the car will still start stepping sideways with all the torque in second gear.

this lacking traction stuff makes me miss my subaru. it just takes some getting used to.

the subaru was so phenominal in the winter, but i just like everything about the feel and quality of the 135 so much more. The 135 costs a little less to make decent power in my opinion. chip in 135 gets higher results for less money.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #52
Time_Attack
Rep
Drives: Sti...for now

I currently have a 2006 STi with full bolt ons (Intake, TIP, UP-Pipe Headers, Down pipe, Exhaust, 255 Fuel Pump and Cobb) the car is fast but a modded 135i will take it out in a straight line. Have not had a chance to run one but being weight of the cars are very similiar - a stock turbo STi will only make maybe 315-325 AWHP and 330-360 AWTQ with out Meth . The STi's piston rings are just to weak to continue modding. I am currently looking for a 135i and cant wait to have one of these for my own. 135i is just such a better car for Daily Driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #53
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

My buddy has a 08 STi with a stage 1 protune from EFI Logics, and stiffer springs and swaybars. At the track, my car definitely pulls on him in the straights, which i would think would be closer being my car is stock. Another big thing is the gearing, the gears in the STi must be significantly shorter, since my car can hold gears longer than he can. I don't think he can get close to 100mph in 3rd gear. Another unfortunate problem with the STi is fuel starvation when there's less than half a tank, seems to be a common problem. My car also kills him in MPG, both on the track and daily driving. He was trying to convince me to get one before I got my 135, and while I really like the STi, i just couldn't get over the interior quality. I'd love to build one as a track car, tho

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #54
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

the gearing in the STi transmissions is increadably short compared to the 135. that's why i think they keep up with the 135.

you change gears 3 times before you hit 60 mph. when i did my transmission swap, i hated the first and second gears in the car. i'd spin all 4 tires in first because it was geared so short, so i had to roll the car forward, put it in second, then hit the gas.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #55
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
raced a buds 2008 Sti (with x/h) & took him out everytime i used LC (N55 dct) .. But if i go normal drive then his gone ..
STi vs Evo8 ( induction ).. Evo creams him on every run , 4rm the line & even rolling <>
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #56
I<3BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've driven both cars and they are both super fun to drive. The speed difference is so slight (stock) that you wouldn't be able to tell which one is faster without an accurate way to measure. The ride quality of the BMW is much better imo. Of course I work for BMW so my opinion might be a little biased. I bought a scratch and dent 128 because I got a deal too good to pass up. Reading this forum is helping me speed up my search for a 135

Last edited by I<3BMW; 11-02-2010 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #57
john_135
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i lemans blue

I changed my 2010 STI for a 2011 135i.

STi is the worst car I ever bought.
OEM brake pad are peace of shit.
First track day: after 5min on the track no more brake.
Then I upgraded, Stance coilover, Carbotech XP10 brake pad and Hoosier R6 tires+lightweight wheels.
3rd track day: BOOM cyl no4 = dead.
5400km and the engine is dead.

I searched on the web and found that engine blow is very common problem on STI and WRX265.

135 is faster on a track. Handling, brake and power is better on the 135i.

STI= turbo lag.

For drag racing stock for stock it's close.
Very fast 0-60' time on STI but slower trap speed at the end.

On the highway, 135 is realy faster.

I bought the STi for winter fun... but I didn't have time to drive it during winter
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #58
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Just came from a 2004 STI. Note I had it rather heavily modified. GT3076R turbo, 44mm wastegate, front mount, <insert laundry list of crap here>, but I started stock at least.

It seems both mod well. It is very easy to add 40-60hp to an STI, and they're still quite reliable with a moderate turbo upgrade. Downpipe + tune = 60hp on an STI. Parts are way cheaper on an STI. I'm still balking at $1000-1600 just for a catback. The nicest turbobacks for an STI are barely $1k. Transmission is practically indestructible. Ring lands will break IF you have detonation. Too many people throw blow off valves (bad on a MAF based fueling system), manual boost controllers (stupid!), and intakes that screw up the MAF transfer function, etc. on their cars and don't have them properly tuned. They run lean into boost briefly on the factory tunes at of about 07+ and it is ok, but if you add a downpipe and don't have it tuned immediately it can be devastating as it will knock and eventually blow. The EJ257 engine is a good engine otherwise, but people do stupid things to them. Keep in mind as you read anecdotal evidence of people blowing EJ257s that there are a crap load more of them out there with more miles.

135 has less lag and a better boost threshold, but I question people quoting 4000rpm for an STI. It really shouldn't be that bad. In 3rd gear it should be around 3000-3200rpm. Lower RPM in higher gears. It will spool on the highway in 6th gear at 2400rpm. The STI turbo is a few feet from the heads, so the coupling is looser. STI is slower to react in lower RPM, and comes on a bit softer. 135 sometimes seems to just "snap" to boost and it almost feels like a hesitation issue with how it comes up. Different feel, but yeah the 135 has much better grunt down low.

STI has much more mature aftermarket. Big rotated turbo kits with external wastegates, bolt-on midsize turbos, fuel system upgrades, a number of tuning options. In particular, Open ECU allows you to tune your own car on the cheap if you're interested, and it works on the raw ROM/BIN right off the ECU if you are so inclined to disassemble it yourself. Cobb AP is another good option. Dozens of cheap downpipes, catbacks, several equal or unequal length headers, all sorts of wheels, carbon fiber parts, everything you'd ever want suspension wise...

STI is very front heavy plus AWD so understeer is more pronounced. Brakes are pretty close. STI has a better shifter and clutch feel. Both have a very precise steering feel, though I'd give the 135 a very slight edge. STI is louder and more obnoxious in general. 135i is far more understated and "classy." Of course many people end up throwing loud exhausts on their 135i anyway.

STI is cheaper by a few grand (not to mention aftermarket parts prices are WAY cheaper), though you could argue about options. I think it is far to say it is about $3k cheaper similarly optioned, and the 135i has a much higher ceiling on options. STI stops at about $39k for Limited with nav unless you start adding dealer crap like Teflon paint coating, blessing by local pagans, fuel line magnets, etc.

However, in some respects they're not the greatest comparison...

For those in nothern states that need to get to work 365 days a year even in snowstorms, the STI (with a set of all season or winter tires) is a ton of fun. With three limited slip differentials (center being electronic/close loop) and either 40/60 or 35/65 torque split it is amazing a car like that can also drive through 8+inches of snow like it wasn't there, or pull an effortless 4 wheel drift around a roundabout on sheer ice.

STI is a four door and four reasonable sized adults can fit in it, and get in and out of the back seats comfortably. That's a rather huge difference. The 135i is almost more comparable to a 370z in that respect as it is almost more of a 2 seater. STI passes the, "Would you load your 60 year old parents into the back of your car?" test, and the 135 does not.

The four door or cold weather elements may be the real deciding factor for you. The STI can be just about anyone's one and only car, 135 is questionable filling that role for some people. For me, I've got a backup car for the few horrible winter days and no family, so I'm switching over.

Last edited by Freon; 01-04-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #59
Makkasteez
1nt3n5ity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

ive beaten bolt on modded sti's.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #60
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

i did 60 roll the sti was at least 10+ car lengths behind me at 140
      02-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #61
fd94
SoFlo BMW
Rep
Drives: Luxury Power!

n54>STI CHEAP PISTON RINGS!!!!!
      02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #62
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

the 135 is sexier looking :P ..

That said , i know the STI can beat a 135 w/ mods. Although i know of modded 1's vs. STI's and the BMW won in 1/4 mile.

If ya want a car that beats all get a Ariel Atom . haha
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #63
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
If ya want a car that beats all get a Ariel Atom . haha
QFT especially the new V8 verion of the car.
Appreciate 0